The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 10, 2016, 01:45 PM   #1
chaim

Should I sell my S&W 65LS?

I've had my S&W 65LS for going on 15 years now, and I never thought I'd sell it, but lately, the idea keeps coming back. It was my first .357mag so I will miss it, but with the way prices on these things are going, I'm starting to think about at what price point is it worth it to sell.

Here's my thinking...

I do love the gun. I think a 3" medium framed .357mag revolver is about the perfect all around revolver. It is big and heavy enough to be a great range gun, it is accurate and comfortable enough to shoot with most magnum ammo. It is a great home defense gun with enough weight and heft for quick and easy follow-up shots. Yet, it is small and light enough to reasonably be used for CCW.

However, they are becoming so valuable, that I am unwilling to ever carry mine, and I rarely load it up for home defense use anymore. Mine is in near 100% condition, though the original box it came with is a now a little rough (it is padded, and there are some indentations in the padding from being in my bag with other guns on range trips). I'm seeing 65LS's in comparable condition routinely going for well over $1000 on auction sites (sometimes quite a bit over $1000). If I'm ever involved in a self defense shooting, I know the police will take it into evidence where it may come back with evidence numbers etched into it, water damage, scratches, or it may get lost and not come back. For carry (when in carry states) I worry about this gun getting banged up (though I don't worry about cheaper guns). So, I never use it for the purpose it is best suited for and always use less expensive guns for carry and home defense.

I have had it a number of years, and it was my only revolver for a time, so I have a lot of rounds though it (5-10K). As a result, I don't even take it to the range much anymore, and when I do I rarely shoot magnums through it, in order to limit wear to internal parts.

I'm not really a collector, or rather, all of my collection is meant to be shot.

I'm thinking at the prices many are going, I can sell it and get a 3" Ruger GP 100 and a 3" S&W 686+ with only a small additional cash outlay. Then, I'd have two revolvers that fit the same niche, but that I'd be more willing to use.

I'm starting to think I may need to sell it before long because it may be becoming too valuable for me to feel comfortable really using it. It may not be there yet, but it probably will soon (I've already seen some S&W 65LS's with prices in the $1200-1500 range, though I'm sure those sit around a while, and they seem to go fast in the $900-1100 range).

So, at what price point should I start seriously thinking about selling this gun?
Old January 10, 2016, 03:14 PM   #2
Dave Chuppa

Advertise a trade. Your 65 for a GP and a 686 + cash on your end if need be. Or put it up for sale for the price you want and stick to it. You don't have to sell so no pressure.
Old January 10, 2016, 06:38 PM   #3
upstate81

Id save the cash or maybe use my tax refund (which is right around the corner) to buy the gun and save the smith. Value will continue to rise as will collectability.
Old January 10, 2016, 07:14 PM   #4
old bear

Quote:
So, at what price point should I start seriously thinking about selling this gun?
I think you've reached the point, if you really want to sell it, do so. Even though I don't advise selling. You can always earn more $$, but revolvers like your M-65 Lady Smith, are no longer being produced, and very well may never be again.

I was able to pick up a M-65 Lady Smith about 18 months ago, for a very decent price. It does duty as one of my ready guns. As you said, small enough to carry, but big enough to feel like I've got a real gun in my hand. I don't think I will be selling it anytime soon.
Old January 10, 2016, 09:13 PM   #5
wpsdlrg

OF COURSE you should sell it !

For $5.........to ME !!!

Old January 10, 2016, 11:37 PM   #6
chaim

Quote:
You can always earn more $$, but revolvers like your M-65 Lady Smith, are no longer being produced, and very well may never be again.
This is true. Though, this is also why they are starting to command ridiculous prices. I'm not sure if the cost is where I'm willing to part with it yet, though I do find its value is getting to the level where I'm almost afraid to use it.

Quote:
Id save the cash or maybe use my tax refund (which is right around the corner) to buy the gun and save the smith. Value will continue to rise as will collectability.
I've thought about the fact that prices will continue to rise as well. I'm leaning towards getting a 686 when I can as the gun I actually use (though with them running in the $700s-800 range they are on the high end of what I'm willing to use for defense- due to knowing that any gun used in a defensive shoot is likely to spend some time in an evidence locker I tend to keep my defensive guns in the $400-600 range). Then, I'll hold on to the 65LS, use it very occasionally, and wait a few years until they start to command completely insane prices and sell then.

I do love this gun so it is hard to sell, but I've started thinking about it recently (and thus no longer say I'll never sell it) because it is such a shame that I find myself hesitant to use it, and will probably soon retire it to the safe altogether.
Old January 10, 2016, 11:51 PM   #7
mxsailor803

Personally, I'd keep it. They are increasing in value and will likely never go down.
Old January 11, 2016, 12:53 AM   #8
TXAZ

I'm thinking more and more like Cheapshooter these days: Never sell a gun.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 11, 2016, 06:28 AM   #9
CajunBass

And I'm the opposite of Cheapshooter. If you don't want it, for whatever reason, sell it, trade it, swap it, and get whatever you really do want.

If you want it, you can always find a reason to keep it. Same goes if you don't. There is always a reason to sell it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 11, 2016, 07:46 AM   #10
smee78

Unless your in a position where you need the money I see no reason to sell it. I would save the money to pick up a different revolver if you want another. Once its sold there is no going back and they are a fine revolver. I am in no hurry to sell mine, it is also in great condention and I still have the rug and orginal grips it came with. You can always make up reasons to sell it, but why?
Old January 11, 2016, 10:02 AM   #11
Hal

My pat pending flow chart for keeping/selling an item starts like this"

Do I like it?
Yes or no?
If No - then sell it and use the proceeds towards something you like. Keeping something you don't like is just plain stupid.

If yes, then how much will it cost to replace it in the future when you realize your mistake? (You did say the prices are going up right?)
If yes, then, can it be replaced at any price? (You might find another in a few years, but, it won't be the exact same one that was your "first".)

My advice is hang onto it and look around for another one that's in not so nice shape that you can buy to carry. No need to rush into things.
Old January 11, 2016, 11:05 AM   #12
gyvel

Please refer to Cheapshooter for advice.

In case you don't know Cheapshooter, his advice is: "NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING."
SIFE
Old January 11, 2016, 10:29 PM   #13
Deaf Smith

Save up for the GP100 and keep the Lady. You can always put the GP100 on layaway if need be.

BTW, I have a LS 65 of my own.

Deaf
Old January 12, 2016, 11:07 AM   #14
pilpens

If the 65 is a pre-lock, keep the 65 and save up for the bigger revolver.
I just do not like the locks on S&W revolvers.
Old January 12, 2016, 02:06 PM   #15
Obambulate

I say trade it for the revolver you really want + cash.
Old January 12, 2016, 08:43 PM   #16
Skeets
Member in memoriam

65/LS

IMHO as others have posted,buy another gun but keep the LS.Also high value in cleaning,holding,etc.,and all the good MEMORIES you and THAT LS must share! Best Wishes,Skeets
Old January 12, 2016, 08:53 PM   #17
shaunpain

The Smith could be kept as an investment for your estate. That seems like the smart move if they just keep going up in value. You could always liquidate it if in dire straits.
Old January 13, 2016, 05:33 AM   #18
JimmyR

Typically, I would say go ahead and sell/trade for what you want.

That said, you currently have perfection, so be prepared for disappointment.

A 3" K frame is nothing to turn your nose up to. Yes, you could get a 686, or a GP100, but they don't have the soul that your model 65 has.

My suggestion- shoot the blazes out of it, and throw the box away, just so that you aren't tempted to do something foolish...
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old January 14, 2016, 06:01 AM   #19
jetinteriorguy

I only sell or trade guns I don't like. If I truly like a gun, I keep it forever.