The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 8, 2007, 10:20 AM   #51
Fremmer

I'm not sure how big and tough the groundhogs are where the rest of you are located, but here in Nebraska, the groundhogs are pretty tough. Not only that, but they will charge and gnaw at hunters if you shoot and miss, or if you shoot and only wound them. We don't use anything less than a .300 Win Mag on them, and the Weatherby magnum rounds are preferred. You might want to reconsider your caliber choice.
Old August 9, 2007, 05:00 PM   #52
Rey B

What next? Maybe a nice fragmentation grenade? Good grief it's a groundhog not a grizzly!
Old August 9, 2007, 09:14 PM   #53
Fremmer

Yeah, I'm telling you, the groundhogs here are tough and agressive. One time, we were deerhunting and walking along a trial. As we came around a curve, we unexpectedly encountered a mamma goundhog and her two groundhog babies. Mamma groundhog instantly charged us. My friend had a 7mm Win Mag, and he got off the first shot, but it didn't even penetrate mamma groundhog's hide. In an instant, mamma groundhog was all over my friend, gnawing at his face and making strange mamma groundhog growling sounds. I couldn't shoot, and I only had a .308 anyway, so I dropped my rifle, and grabbed my 10" buck hunting knife. I plunged the knife into the groundhog's hide, but the blade didn't even penetrate; instead, it broke in half, and all I could do was back away a few feet. By this time, my friend had stopped screaming, and was laying motionless in a pool of his own blood. Mamma groundhog stopped gnawing at his neck, and slowly turned to look at me, with shiney red eyes and blood dripping from her fangs...
Old August 9, 2007, 09:27 PM   #54
Toms_DSG_GT

:

Attack Of The Living Groundhogs???
Old August 9, 2007, 09:51 PM   #55
JWT

Surest way to get the critter is to get a backhoe in there. Dig up his den and sift the dirt out on a screen, when the beast shows up on the screen finish him off with a 12ga. with double 00 buckshot.
Old August 10, 2007, 01:05 PM   #56
Rey B

Remind me to stay out of Nebraska I am not that tall and as deep as it's getting around here I might get buried.
Old August 10, 2007, 03:04 PM   #57
Fremmer

You should hear what our tree rats have been known to do to hunters and farmers. One time, I was in a tree stand on opening day of deer season......

Last edited by Fremmer; August 11, 2007 at 10:59 PM.