The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 31, 2006, 07:58 PM   #1
Glennster

How to transfer silencer in IN.

I've got a buddy that wants to sell his H&K USP 45, he's got an $800 silencer that goes with it. (also has a high end laser on it)

What is involved in buying the silencer?
Cost?
Time frame?
Paperwork?
I want to be sure to do this by the book!
One guy told me that the silencer needs to be sold (by the current owner) to a class III dealer, then when I've got my class III to go through, I can buy it from the class III dealer.

I'd really appreciate some insight on this.
THANK YOU !!!
Old August 1, 2006, 08:55 AM   #2
KSFreeman

Assuming you are not an SOT, then you need a Form 4, $200 tax stamp, a bunch of fingerprints and photos, and (if this is your first Title II item) patience.
Old August 1, 2006, 12:17 PM   #3
bdarin

Maybe just keep it all real quiet (no pun intended). They're illegal anyway so you got 2 choices: pay the feds & wait forever or just quietly buy it and keep it that way. And hide it in the house.
Old August 1, 2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Suppressors might be unlawfull in a particular state, but they are not banned on the Federal level.

Glennster, I'm moving this to the NFA Guns and Gear section. You'll get better and more to the point answers there.
Old August 1, 2006, 01:24 PM   #5
Glennster

What is SOT???
Old August 1, 2006, 02:12 PM   #6
VUPDblue

it is the Special (Occupational) Tax. In short, it is the tax you pay to be licensed to sell post-86 MG's to Gov't agencies.
To do a transfer, you have to fill out the form4 paperwork and pay the taxes (s). To transfer from person to person (no dealer) the owner has to pay the $200 tax to transfer the weapon out of his name, and then the buyer has to pay the $200 tax to transfer the weapon into his own name. This is why most people never sell their cans, because by the time you pay the tax twice, you could have bought a new can. Unless it is a deal that is too good to pass up (ie less than 1/2 of retail) I would suggest that you look into buying a new can. FWIW, it helps to have a dealer help you with this kind of transaction. PM me and I can give you the names of dealers I have worked with and recommend. ( and some I don't recommend)

bdarin: don't post if you have no idea what you are talking about, especially if your post recommends doing something ILLEGAL! Check out the thread on NFA misconceptions...
Old August 1, 2006, 05:02 PM   #7
Glennster

VUPDblue,
I really appreciate the info.
Thank you,
Glenn
Old August 2, 2006, 01:14 AM   #8
raymond-

if.....you're fortunate enough to be living in the same state (here in the US) as
the seller, then you can go direct from seller to you on a single Form 4...meaning
single $200 tax instead of two

Last edited by raymond-; August 2, 2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old August 3, 2006, 06:15 PM   #9
Glennster

Raymond,
The guy I'm getting the silencer from is a buddy of mine, we live in the same town.
Are you telling me that we can get it out of his name and into mine for a total of $200 by using a '' single '' form 4 ???
Old August 3, 2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Legion2600

Quote:
Are you telling me that we can get it out of his name and into mine for a total of $200 by using a '' single '' form 4 ???
Yes. One transfer. No C3 dealer in the middle.
Old August 4, 2006, 12:35 AM   #11
raymond-

so if you get a slam dunk deal from your buddy, plus bartering other gun gear,
etc, you can actually get a great deal, vs buying one new, interstate. but all
this presupposes that the used can is in exceptional condition.
Old August 4, 2006, 04:46 PM   #12
Glennster

The can is Swiss made ( Brugger+Thomet AG, IMPULS IIA/IIA-L) with about 50 rounds thru it, he paid $850 for it.
I've seen all the paperwork for all the purchases relative to this package (H&K USP Tac 45, H&K Laser, Extra mags, Flash supressor, a REALLY nice carrying case made for the gun and the can, special cleaning kit and extra O-rings for the can). He's got about $2500 in the whole thing, if I can get it for $1,000, I think it would be a great investment even with $200 tacked on($1,200 total investment) to do the transfer.
So should I do it??????
Old August 4, 2006, 08:37 PM   #13
raymond-

that would be a very good package price. what i'm scratching my head about
is how B+T can gets imported into the US as a transferable ¿ thought these
were stopped before the ship gets to our shores - anyone? but as long as
you've seen an approved BATF Form 4 with your buddy's name on it, that is
what counts.
Old August 8, 2006, 11:22 AM   #14
rkba_net

You are correct if it is a REAL B&T suppressor (ie made overseas) it is a dealer sample... The GCA of 1968 stopped the importation of ALL TRANSFERABLE NFA weapons... that being said it is not unheard of for these things to be papered incorrectly...
Old August 8, 2006, 08:35 PM   #15
raymond-

okay....from the SILENCERTEST web site, one of the knowledgeable conveys this....

Quote:
CCF was licensed by B&T to make the Impuls2A with B&T markings... That's the only way you're getting a can with B&T marks on it here in the US as a civilian.

CCF and B&T had a falling out, and CCF is no longer licensed by B&T, but still produces the Impuls2A without the B&T markings. When CCF was going through the arguements, CCF produced a bunch with the B&T name before they yanked their license.

Some people claim they are exact copies of the B&T... other people say they are only a close copy.
Old August 9, 2006, 12:28 AM   #16
mxwelch

Quote:
Maybe just keep it all real quiet (no pun intended). They're illegal anyway so you got 2 choices: pay the feds & wait forever or just quietly buy it and keep it that way. And hide it in the house.
That's some of the worst advice I've read in a while. Can anyone say Class 4 Felony?

The paperwork usually takes 2 months.
Old August 9, 2006, 12:54 AM   #17
raymond-

yeah that was pretty sad. bdarin, read this FAQ....PLEASE. it will help with your understanding of NFA firearms
Old August 9, 2006, 06:01 AM   #18
Glennster

raymond,
You sure do know your stuff. If my memory is correct, the silencer came through some company in Arrlington Heights, IL. Maybe they manufactured it.
I stand corrected, I don't think it is ''Swiss made''.

You guys are right, that is some extremly bad advice given by bdarin, I'm doing this by the book! I know a local guy that was visited by the ATF, he was clean as can be, he had nothing to worry about.
He had purchased so many guns, it red flagged him.

If I get one of those visits, I like knowing that I have nothing to worry about.
Old August 10, 2006, 11:19 PM   #19
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

NUH-uh.

bdarin,
Check for a new Private Message.

Johnny Guest