The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 23, 1999, 07:07 AM   #1
longhair

What size drill bit do I need for a 10x32 tap, in fractions please.. thanks in advance. longhair

------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

Old December 23, 1999, 10:51 AM   #2
old_engineer

#21 drill, .1590dia is listed in most references. If you only have fractional sizes, 5/32" (.15625") will work if you're real careful (hope this isn't a 100 year old, hand engraved Parker shot gun or something).

Good luck,
Bob Couture
Old December 23, 1999, 01:39 PM   #3
longhair

Thanks you Bob.. You needn't worry about it
being used on some priceless weapon, I don't have any of those. The hardware stores around here don't have any #21's, I could go to the mill supply, but that's another story. The 5/32 will work just fine for this application. It's close enough for government work!!! Thanks again
Damn I like this place!!!!
------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited December 23, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited December 23, 1999).]
Old December 23, 1999, 02:00 PM   #4
John Lawson

In case anybody wants to know the decimal equivalent of a fraction without dragging out a reference book, just take out your trusty calculator and divide the numerator by the denominator. 5/32 = (5, divided by 32)
.156 and so forth.
Old December 23, 1999, 02:39 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Another tip for future reference: most high quality taps will have the required number of drill engraved on it. You'll need a magnifying glass, but it's usually there.
Old December 24, 1999, 07:27 AM   #6
longhair

Thank y'all for the additional info.
Mal the package the tap came in did have the bit size required, but like I said above, the hardware stores didn't have a #21. Thanks for all the help, hope you have a good holiday..
longhair

------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

Old December 25, 1999, 01:50 AM   #7
OkieGentleman

Be aware that there are two types of taps, a bottoming tap for tapping a hole that does not go all of the way thru. A hole tap is for a hole that goes all of the way thru the metal you are tapping. You can make a hole tap into a bottoming tap by carefully grinding the end off. Also some tap cutting oil is a good idea. Go slow and back up often and clean the hole and tap every full turn or so. If you break it off use a carbide dremel tool to cut it out by cutting thru the center section a little at a time until it falls out. Carefully done you can go back to tapping again after it falls out. A magnet is nice to have to clean the tap and hole of shavings. Good luck
Old December 25, 1999, 01:55 PM   #8
John Lawson

A really high quality tap set consists of a taper, plug and bottoming chamfer set. Most hardware stores carry plug and possibly bottoming configurations. My favorite kind of tap is a two flute "gun tap" so named because the point is shaped to "shoot" chips up the flutes. You can use this kind of configuration in a production mode without backing off on a through hole because of the extra chip clearance the configuration gives.