The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2016, 08:47 AM   #1
SquirrelMan

Loaded For First Time With The Lyman 310 Tong Tool...

I bought a Lyman/Ideal 310 Tong tool as a curiosity. I wanted to be able to load some cartridges if they were ever hard to find even though I shoot factory ammo exclusively. The first caliber I decided to try my hand at is the 32 Winchester Special.

Well, I went to the range on Saturday and shot up a bunch of .32 Special cartridges. After assembling all the required tools and supplies over the last month I was ready to try out the tong tool.

I used the Lee powder measuring cups and also weighed them as extra insurance. I loaded 20 in some 2000fps loads and some in 2100fps per my Hornady loading book.

I did crunch the neck on 2 cartridges, but after adjusting the crimp collar, everything went smoothly.

I used LeverEvolution powder, Winchester primers and Hornady flat point .321 bullets since I would have had to modify my bullet seating die to accommodate the FTX bullets.

After a lot of reading and research, everything went as well as could be expected.

I can't wait to go to the range and try them out. I did shoot a couple in the back yard while the wife was out just for a function check. Everything worked fine.

Next, I will try to get a buddy to see if we can try to cast some in my old Winchester single cavity bullet mold.

If anyone is interested, I have pictures.

Last edited by SquirrelMan; February 2, 2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old February 2, 2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Axelwik

I like the 310 sets. For some calibers I've made up little reloading kits to take to the field. Each has its own small GI surplus ammo can containing the dies, handles, loading block, funnel, bullets, primers, small tin of case lube, powder, Lee dipper, extra brass, and a small screwdriver to adjust the dies.

They're more expensive than the Lee whack-a-mole kits or Lee's hand press, but I like them better, I guess because they're more "traditional."

Tip: take the set screws out of the die adjustment rings, put a piece of lead shot in and replace the screws. It adds a little needed friction so the dies don't go out of adjustment.

So far I've made kits for 44, 45-70, 30-30, 38/357, and building one for 270Win.

In some of the kits I've added push-through bullet sizing dies - only because I had them. Much easier to use the lubrisizer on my reloading bench.

Last edited by Axelwik; February 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old February 2, 2016, 12:45 PM   #3
SquirrelMan

That is something that I have done. My whole reloading setup is in one case leftover from a Lyman EZ Loader. It is really handy to put things away when you need to. It also has room for a few more sets of dies if I ever decide to get them.

The reason I shied away from the Lee loader was that I wasn't too comfortable seating a primer with a hammer. I know there have been a lot of primers seated with them, but the first one that went boom in the house would put an end to my reloading experiment.

I will try that lead shot trick. Thanks.
Old February 2, 2016, 03:31 PM   #4
SIGSHR

I started with a Lee Loader-yes, I did set off a primer-then tried a Lyman 310 tool. Interestingly enough I have an old steel one on 300 H&H Magnum. The disadvantage of the 310 is that you must use 310 dies, the disadvantage of both is in the priming.
Old February 4, 2016, 06:22 PM   #5
Paul B.

On days when I'm in a historical frame of mind, I'll take a few 170 gr. cast bullets and load up a box of ammo for my 1911 vintage M94 30-30. Then I head for the range and shoot a few targets. Sometimes I'll use the newer 1981 vintage M94 with a receiver sight as it has a better trigger that the older rifle. Same old time feel to the shooting and less wear and tear on the older rifle. Groups with the newer rifle run around three inches. Same loads in a Marlin 336 with a 3X scope run about 1.5". My old eyes just don't work all that well with iron sights.
For those who are interested, brass is any make, primer Winchester WLR, powder W748 at the start load level and the bullet a 180 gr. Lyman #311921. Bullet crimped in the crimp groove. Works not only in the M94s, Marlin but in two M64 and an M54 winchester as well. I consider the 30-30 and cast lead bullets to be my fun guns. Just have to add, those cast bullet loads kill deer very nicely.
Paul B.
Old February 5, 2016, 01:40 AM   #6
Hook686

I started with the Lyman 310 Tool back in the 1960s as a poor G.I. loading 6mm Remington for hunting. It does the job, even in the field. I liked it enough to expand it to .38/.357, 9mm, and .44/.44 magnum as my firearm ownership expanded. I even continued to use the primer seating die when I got a Lee Hand Press later. I found the 310 Tool useful and portable kit.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 5, 2016, 02:09 AM   #7
Clark

I hunt with a guy, i think he is priming 223 with a Lyman 310.

The Lyman people on the phone are old fashioned first class customer service when I call about sight parts.

An intelligent person on the phone... that is like out of a time warp.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 5, 2016, 12:25 PM   #8
mkl

Should anyone want to use their 310 dies with a regular press, these guys sell an adaptor:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...2/LYMAN310TOOL

Third from bottom of list.

Why you would want to is beyond me, but I guess some people do since the adaptor exists.
Old February 5, 2016, 02:43 PM   #9
SquirrelMan

Well, I am taking my rifle to the range tomorrow. I will let you guys know how it works out.
Old February 12, 2016, 02:45 AM   #10
Hook686

How did it work out for you?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 12, 2016, 05:35 PM   #11
Paul B.

I have one of the Lyman Tru-line turret presses that use the 310 dies. Mine is the first version. They came out with a later model with improve linkage that was supposed to be better. Never have found one. Frankly, I prefer working with the 310 tool and keep the press as a conversation piece. It is kind of a cool little rig though. Problem is when you're doing the neck sizing, it sounds like you're crunching the shell.
Paul B.