The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 21, 2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Pops1085

Is there a specific way to utilize a vertical foregrip?

Is there a "proper" way to use this doohicky? I have heard thumbs forward and I have heard thumbs over with an afg but that is a little uncomfortable to me. I have both but it kind of feels natural just to grab onto the vfg like a beer can or a broom stick. Are there pros and cons to each way?
Old February 21, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
g.willikers

Gripping around it would seem to allow the gun to swivel right or left, especially with sweaty hands.
Gripping the fore end with the web of the hand against the vertical grip should provide more control, and provide forward pressure to help with recoil.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3
tgreening

I'd say the proper way is whichever way is comfortable and allows you to put your round on target. I wouldn't get too awful caught up in "proper" this that or whatever. That's fine and all for the range, but I would imagine if life would happen to get, uhmmm...intense, proper grips, stances, and tongue positions would find themselves a whole lot lower on the priority list.

Besides, if things hold true to form, a few years from now there will be a whole new catalog of "proper" grips and stances for everyone to learn.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:29 PM   #4
elwopo

Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. Just how it is with many things.

I'm new to ARs and have been researching a lot. Used to grab the foregrip same as you mentioned. Heard about, and tried, the "thumb break method". While it does take a little (and I mean little) getting used to.....I find it's awesome for me. Practicing more and more to make it a habit. Muscle memory and all that.

It's explained a little bit here:
http://mytumultuousadventure.blogspo...ak-method.html
Old February 22, 2013, 06:01 PM   #5
drail

The best way is to remove it and sell it to some "tacticool operator dude". The only use I could possibly see for one is on a weapon that has 15 lbs. of "stuff" mounted on a rail and there is no room left for your hand. But that's the whole "tacticool" thing. If a vertical forearm grip was truly a useful item the U.S. Marine Corps would have started using them 100 years ago. Keep it simple.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Ridge_Runner_5

Palm flat against the side, 4 fingers rolling around the front and thumb up and forward along the handguard is how I did it.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:34 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

My 2 bits...

I've been out of the game(US armed forces) for a long, long time(22 years or so), so I'm not Mr. CQB, I would think a M4 or AR/M-16 style foregrip would have problems with shooting from the prone or moving about in tight spaces.
The newer milspec bi-pod fore-grip is clever but I do not see much use for it.
The Mag-Pul system makes more sense to me.
I will however state that the green-laser aimer/white light(with strobe) could be useful to a home/property owner or armed professional. Crimsontrace; www.crimsontrace.com markets a slick fore-grip & the SIG Sauer Stop-Lite is cool.
There are a few practical DVDs & guides for CQB with M4s/patrol rifles.
See; www.uscav.com www.paladin-press.com www.deltapress.com www.gunvideo.com .
ClydeFrog