The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 3, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Kimio

Magazine ban 2013?

Sturmgewehr posted this on his channel and I didn't see anything brought up here, unless I've missed it.

Apparently Diana DeGette is trying to push a bill to pass a magazine ban.
Here's a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXrAt7-ij2k

I'll be emailing my rep again, but sadly, just my luck, the rep for my district in Phoenix supports an AWB and conveniently is a Democrat.

If this was posted before or if there's more info elsewhere, feel free to close this thread admins.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
kayakersteve

Just as some people have to undergo a waiting period to buy a gun, they should impose a waiting period for voting on new laws in the face of tragedies or constitutional issues so hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Come and take it.

This is very serious. It is one of those things they are planning to slip past in a few days without anyone watching closely.

There can be no compromise.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Here's a link to the story. It looks like Carolyn McCarthy is the wind beneath her wings.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:11 PM   #5
breakingcontact

Pretty wild, the reaction to Feinstein's proposed bill was very large but this one is far more under the radar.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I'll be emailing my rep again, but sadly, just my luck, the rep for my district in Phoenix supports an AWB and conveniently is a Democrat.
SO? All the more to contact him/her. If everyone thought like this, then they never hear what the people they serve really believe in.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 4, 2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Kimio

Shane, that didn't stop me from contacting him anyway, I've already received his email in regards to me urging him to not vote on any new gun control legislation.

I'll email him again, urging him still not to do so, but I already know his stance on the topic. So my email will fall on deaf ears, I will still do it though, because even if it fails to impact his decision, it's better to have tried and failed rather than to have done nothing and have failed all the same.

Evil triumphs when good does nothing to stop it.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

I feel (my opinion) a large cap. magazine ban will be passed. It will happen because of the current emotional craze to "do something" following the recent school massacre. We know it will have no effect on the crazies and the magazines will still be available. But, in liberal districts the representatives and senators will be able to go back home and brag they "did something". Other restrictions will be harder to get passed. e.g. 'assualt weapon' bans.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Kimio

I have no illusions that this will sadly most likely get passed. A friend of mine said that apparently we've lost the House, now whether that is true or not I do not know

But in the end, I don't think it matters, there are plent of anti' within the R-party as there are pro 2A within the D-party. Political parties aside, many people as you've said are still riding the waves of emotion, and unfortunately, we'll probably see some form of draconic legislation being passed because of it.

The only thing we can do I think is try to contain the damage as much as possible at this point. We can only speculate right now until more concrete information comes to light.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Maxb49

Does anyone have a list of anti-gun Republicans in the 2013 House to estimate the likelihood of such a ban passing?