The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Does Mini 14 makes its way into your collection if you are limited to only 10 rifles?
Yes 137 58.30%
No 98 41.70%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 24, 2010, 11:42 PM   #76
jimbob86

Yes, IF....

..... I could get it in 6.8 SPC.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:51 PM   #77
riverwalker76

The New Mini-14 Tactical (Model # M-14/20GBCPC) would absolutely make the cut!

I own one, and I've owned previous model Minis. In my honest opinion they broke the mold with the Tactical model listed above.

A lot of people have a bad 'taste' in their mouth about the Mini because of previous experiences with the 'Ranch' model. They are absolutely deserved.... but ... try the Tactical and I can almost guarantee you will love it.

If you don't .... let me know, and I'll buy it from you!

I get .50" groups at 100 yds. with handloads, and using Hornady TAP 55gr. Factory Loads I get .75" groups. The Tactical is by far the best Mini that Ruger has produced to date.

I own both an AR-15 and the Mini, and I would take either into battle equally.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:52 PM   #78
Bamashooter

JMR40,
i paid 599 for a 580 series and added an accustrut, did some gas block work, had my trigger tuned up and added 1911 recoil buffers. my total i have in it is roughly 700. the best group so far is 1.2in and i think i can do better. i have not seen a mini around here for 200. i wish i would. as far as magazines, i have 2 factory 20rd. and 4 pro-mag 20rd. and they all work perfectly. the promags are about 20 dollars around here.the work ive done on my ruger has made it a better rifle, and its always been reliable now its reliable and accurate. for $700 its very fine with me. before i started accurizing it, i was shooting about 3in. groups, so it was a good shooter right out of the box.
Old April 25, 2010, 12:21 AM   #79
Sarge

I voted 'yes' with qualifiers. The .223 most certainly has a place in my rifle battery.

If I had a great shooting AR, I wouldn't spend money to get a Mini 14.

Conversely, if I had a great shooting Mini, I wouldn't get spendy for an AR.

And finally, if I had a really good bolt action .223, I wouldn't break a leg to get either of them.

To me a poodle shooter, first & foremost, should be just that- capable of consistently dotting a prairie dog to 300-350 yards. There's an old 'family' Savage 110 in .223 that makes the rounds between myself and two brothers. It has the ugly birch stock, buggy-whip barrel and an red recoil pad (?) that looks like it was installed by Stevie Wonder with a body grinder. It will also poke little one inch, five shot groups at 200 yards with decent reloads.

If and when it resides here permanently, I won't feel the need to replace it with anything that shoots a whole lot faster and not nearly as well.
Old April 25, 2010, 01:13 AM   #80
Ignition Override

An ATF agent who boarded our plane yesterday in Baltimore told me that the Mini 14 is one of the most reliable rifles available.

To answer your question, No, but Only because I prefer the Mini 30's larger caliber, although an SKS costs much less (I have both).

There are only two reasons why I sold the old ('90) Mini 14: already had the Mini 30, and to more quickly buy my first LE #5 "Jungle Carbine"
(favorite gun) a year ago.

The .223 caliber's impact on solid targets never impressed me like the 7.62x39. But the old Mini used only newer Russian ammo and never had a single 'ftf', none whatsoever.

Last edited by Ignition Override; April 25, 2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old April 25, 2010, 10:46 PM   #81
wingspar

I’ll never own 10 rifles no matter how long I live, and the Mini-14 belongs in my collection.
Old April 26, 2010, 03:56 AM   #82
Regolith

Quote:
Yes, IF....
..... I could get it in 6.8 SPC.
Here you go.
Old April 26, 2010, 03:57 AM   #83
garyhan

The Mini has become simply too close in cost to the much superior AR (superior accuracy, reliability, and parts availability) to be considered as one of only 10.

gary
Old April 26, 2010, 05:41 AM   #84
Firepower!

how much does an anverage AR cost compare to a Mini in a local US store?
Old April 26, 2010, 05:54 AM   #85
Regolith

Quote:
how much does an anverage AR cost compare to a Mini in a local US store?
I bought my Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in February for about $620 or so. You could presumably find an AR-15 for that price, but it's going to be a very basic model. It'll probably have an accuracy comparable to the newer Minis, and it is unlikely to be as reliable.

(Despite the assertions of gary, the Mini-14 is known for its reliability, which is on par with other Garand-based actions).

In order to get a well-built, mil-spec AR-15, you'll probably have to pay $1000+. In fact, I'd say the average price for AR-15s in this country is somewhat north of $1000.

Last edited by Regolith; April 26, 2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old April 26, 2010, 06:22 AM   #86
Firepower!

Thats interesting because I got the impression from the posts that Mini is as expensvie if not more than AR. In fact, the prices you have quoted, a person can get a Mini and good handgun for the price of AR.
Old April 26, 2010, 06:22 AM   #87
rickyrick

Absolutely,

The mini is the most reliable rifle I have ever fired.

Honestly I don't shoot mine over 100yds, but accuracy to me is about the same as an M16.

Not going to bash ARs but the Mini out-classes ARs in the reliability department.

The drawbacks are as others have stated, magazine price.......I wish it had a 'slap in' style mag well sorta like an AR, but the mini is ok if you practice with the mags.
Old April 26, 2010, 06:27 AM   #88
Firepower!

Is it possible that an AR Mag adapter can be made for Minis to accept AR magazines? If possible then I think this is where someone could make lots of money.
Old April 26, 2010, 06:53 AM   #89
darkgael

great response

Wow. Four pages.
I was more interested in making the list of ten for myself than I was about the OP's main idea.
I ran out of choices at nine rifles....and the Mini-14 was not one of them. It won't be #10. I can and do understand why people like them but the Mini doesn't do it for me. I had one....gave it to my son.
Pete
Old April 26, 2010, 07:55 AM   #90
Skans

I guess I'm the only one who will come right out and say that I like the look and feel of a Mini-14 over an AR15. Both the AR and Mini-14 are capable of excelent performance. The Mini-14 might need an aftermarket barrel to get it there, but it is capable. For me, I really just like the look and feel of a customized Mini-14 over a customized AR15 - has something to do with wood and steel, vs. aluminum and plastic.
Old April 26, 2010, 08:02 AM   #91
jmr40

You can buy a good, but basic AR lower for around $250. By shopping around carefully you can find plenty of good complete uppers for around $400 to $600. Even cheaper if you buy used. Lots of folks swap uppers just because they want something else. Lots of guys will buy a lower receiver and have several uppers set up for different uses. In a nutshell you can get into a good basic AR for $650-$800 easily. If you buy the same rifle complete it would cost around $1000-$1200.

I have no real problem with the Mini-14, but it there is nothing the mini does that an AR does not do better. And the AR can be had for nearly the same price. Go out and buy 4-5 magazines for the Mini-14 vs 4-5 magazines for the AR and the AR suddenly becomes less expensive.
Old April 26, 2010, 08:32 AM   #92
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"...there is nothing the mini does that an AR does not do better."

Fun is in the eye of the user, so right there is equality. Home defense? Equal. Hunting use? Equal.

A Mini is less likely to scare Nervous Neighbor--and Nervous Neighbor's gossiping can make your wife's life miserable.

And I'm on my fifth AR and have no Mini, at the moment...
Old April 26, 2010, 09:01 AM   #93
rduckwor

I jumped on a law enforcement turn in for about $400; all-weather stainless tactical length Mini 14. Spent about $100 on it for an Accu-Strut, and a flash hider. It shoots well at 100 yards and I like it better than my "mid-priced" M4gery. More fun, quicker handling, just a hoot to shoot.

The M4 will still go to the 3 gun matches, but the Mini will be the fun/hog/SHTF rifle.
Old April 26, 2010, 04:35 PM   #94
Firepower!

I have a SS finish ranch rifle. For that, I have ordered mounts. Now I am wondering what power scope should I get for it? Any suggestions? I am goong to be using this rifle recreational purpose only. I dont foresee its use in HD since I have literally got loads of AKs for that. I will be paper punching at 300 yards with it. Is it reasonable to do so with this rifle?
Old April 26, 2010, 06:13 PM   #95
Crosshair

Quote:
I have no real problem with the Mini-14, but it there is nothing the mini does that an AR does not do better.
Put a folding stock on your AR and get back to me.

Oh, and reliability.

Quote:
And the AR can be had for nearly the same price.
Only if you're buying used AR vs new Mini or you're piecing together a gun from parts.

Quote:
Go out and buy 4-5 magazines for the Mini-14 vs 4-5 magazines for the AR and the AR suddenly becomes less expensive.
Except the factory Mini-14 mags are 5 times as durable as AR magazines. My Mini-14 factory folder came with a 30 round mag made in the 80's. It has obviously seen heavy use but functions flawlessly.
Old April 26, 2010, 07:53 PM   #96
KMO

Firepower wrote,
Quote:
Now I am wondering what power scope should I get for it? Any suggestions? I am goong to be using this rifle recreational purpose only. I dont foresee its use in HD since I have literally got loads of AKs for that. I will be paper punching at 300 yards with it.
I know we're slightly off subject here, but to answer his question, look for a 3-9x40 variable power scope as a minimum standard for 300 yards. You can go with higher magnification, or a larger objective diameter, but make sure your rings are tall enough for the objective to clear the receiver if you go with larger than 40mm.
Old April 26, 2010, 08:11 PM   #97
jmr40

I don't want a folding stock when I can get a telescoping stock on the AR.

I've owned several Mini's and several AR's. Never had the first malfunction from an AR. The only malfunctions in the Mini 14's were when using non factory magazines.

Being able to piece your AR together is EXACTLY why it is the better buy. Want to put the folding stock on the Mini 14. You have to buy the factory stock, then spend extra to get the folder. Want to change anything on the Mini, you have to buy the replacement part and pay extra. Then you are stuck with a bunch of extra parts.

With the AR you order the lower receiver you want with the stock you want. Pay your FFL for the lower and the transfer fee. Pick out the upper receiver you want, order it and have it shipped directly to your door. No need to remove parts and replace them because you ordered it the way you wanted it the first time.

Order an 16" lightweight barrel for self defense and decide later you want a 24" target barrel only requires a new upper at about 1/2 the cost of a new Mini 14. By buying this way you can put together a quality AR for $600-$800 depending on what you want. Sure you can spend $2000 on an AR, but don't need to spend that much to get an accurate, dependable rifle. The Mini-14's are selling for between $700-$900.

The mini-14 magazines are selling for $40, if you can find them. Midway has the AR magazines 5/$50 right now.

I also have 80's vintage AR magazines that work perfectly.

I have no real beef with the Mini-14. They are reliable rifles that meet a need. Some people just cannot get past the looks of an AR and I can appreciate that. Others live in areas where the AR is not legal and the Mini-14 is. I understand all that, but don't buy the Mini-14 just because you thing the AR is out of your price range. For my money the AR is the much better value for the money.
Old April 26, 2010, 08:30 PM   #98
Bamashooter

there is no way that a 600 dollar AR ( if there is such a thing) is a better rifle than a mini. as far as the upper for half the price of the mini. that would mean i can get a quality upper for 300 dollars. not gonna happen. especially a 24'' target barrel. i have several pro-mag magazines that were less than 20 dollars that ive never had a problem with. screw ruger mags. these are just as good, if not better. i have about 700 dollars in my ruger, including upgrades that i would put up against any 700 dollar AR. if you say your AR hasnt or doesnt jam then either you dont shoot it or you have never been in the military or both, becouse the simple fact of the matter is they do. its the nature of a DI system. sure things have improved but in my opinion its ammo not AR's. bring your 700 dollar AR and lets see which one is more accurate, or which one jams first.
Old April 26, 2010, 09:51 PM   #99
Crosshair

Quote:
I don't want a folding stock when I can get a telescoping stock on the AR.
I suppose it depends on the use. Is one going to be spending most of your time shooting or carrying the gun? ARs are very bulky and unwieldy when compared to guns with decent folding stocks like Minis, AKs, SU-16s, etc. If you're doing lots of carrying and not a lot of shooting it's non contest that a folding stock is far superior. The fact that the AR cannot have a folding stock is a strong point against it. If all you're doing is shooting then perhaps not having a folding stock isn't that big of a deal.

A Mini-14 folder with a full 18" barrel is a full 6' shorter than an M4A1 with the stock collapsed and can still be accurately fired at short range.

Quote:
Being able to piece your AR together is EXACTLY why it is the better buy.
Piecing together your own computer is a better buy as well. Do you build your own computers? Why not? I have for the last 10 years.

Not everyone wants to or is experienced enough to build their own gun or computer from scratch.

Do you know the difference between main memory that operates at 1:1 multiplier and 2.5-3-2-5 timing and main memory that operates at a 4:5 multiplier and 2.5-4-4-8 timing? What is the most cost effective; Dual core or a quad core processor? For storage should I go with no RAID, Raid 0, 1, or 5? What sort of graphics card should I get?

Do you know the difference between 4140, 4150, 11595, or 416 type steels? Do you want cut or button rifling? A regular or extra power buffer and recoil spring? Chrome lining or no chrome lining? Match or Mil-Spec trigger? Match or Mil-spec chamber? What make of bolt carrier?

You get someone with enough information to be dangerous and they can take parts and put them together in a way that simply will not work. I've seen and done it with computers, thankfully I never did it with guns. Most people realize this and will buy something already put together that they know will work. They do a few minor tweaks as they use the gun and otherwise leave it alone. My boss did that with his $1600 AR-10 and a lot of other people do the same.

Quote:
Order an 16" lightweight barrel for self defense and decide later you want a 24" target barrel only requires a new upper at about 1/2 the cost of a new Mini 14. By buying this way you can put together a quality AR for $600-$800 depending on what you want.
A 24" target barrel upper receiver for half the price of a Mini? Again, where the heck are you shopping? I get dealer discount at Brownells and I still can't get a 24" Varmint barrel for less than a Mini-14. Heck, I could buy a whole savage bolt action rifle for the price I would pay for that upper and have cash left over. If I'm wrong, please show me where I can get an upper like that for half the price of a mini?

That's one reason why I don't own an AR. It's cheaper to just buy a whole nother non-AR rifle.

Precision rifle? Thompson Encore, Savage, Remginton.
Pistol caliber Carbine? PC-9, Sub-2000, Feather USA, Mech-Tech, Marlin 1894.
Tactical carbine? Mini-14, AKM, SU-16.

Not trying to rag on you unfairly, but ARs are lots of things, "Cheap" is not one of them. When I first got into black rifles people kept steering me to ARs because they were "cheaper" in the long run. I quickly found otherwise. Any way you put it they are almost always more expensive vs the alternatives. The only exception I can find are the 50 BMG uppers. They tend to be cheaper than dedicated 50 BMG rifles.

I have yet to meet someone who owns multiple uppers and only one lower that was not saving up to buy more lowers, not counting rimfire uppers. (or lowers that were NFA items) I've met a one that have something like 5 uppers and 4 lowers. One who was in constructive possession of an unregistered SBR. One had a 2-1 ratio only because he hadn't sold one of his uppers yet after buying a new one. Most however have "number of uppers" = "number of lowers" or close to it. Perhaps I just don't get out enough.

Not just with ARs, I've seen it with Thompson Contenders and Encores. Once people start buying more barrels, they start buying more frames.
Old April 27, 2010, 07:39 AM   #100
darkgael

Mini

Y'know - remember that I wrote earlier that I gave my mini away (to my son) -
I really wanted to like that gun. It was the first semi-auto rifle that I owned. I'm fond of Ruger firerarms. But...
The accuracy just wasn't there. I don't have guns just for blasting. I didn't have it for HD or any dream of combat. I bought it hoping to shoot targets.
I was never able to get even a two inch group.
So....I bought an AR. Paid a lot more for it - probably double at the time - A Colt Match Target HBar. But....right out of the box it shot one inch groups....way more than four times tighter than the Mini. It has since shot 1/2" groups iron sighted (16 times tighter. I'll pay extra for accuracy every time).
Reliablity - I shoot the AR a lot - it has never ftf''d.
Pete

Tags
.223 , 5.56x45 , ar vs mini , ranch rifle , ruger mini 14 , ruger mini 30