The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Smoke Screen

Help finding a TACTICAL Holster for my CANIK TP9SF??

Hey everyone, I will be breaking in my new Canik TP9SF at a 4-day Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight in a couple weeks, and they don't allow the serpa-style holsters in their classes....

Do you have any recommendations for a good tactical holster that has less than a 2-week turnaround (tight, I know)? If so, please list in the comments below! Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Last edited by Smoke Screen; January 3, 2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old January 4, 2017, 06:56 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

There are a few things to consider when getting a holster.
1. does it conceal well?
2. can you get to it easily in all positions?
3. Is your gun secure in it? can anyone else get it before you can stop them?
4. Is it comfortable?

Under your conditions someone else is limiting what you can use. I bet they don't allow shoulder holsters. Typically you are left with a choice of a waste band either in or out. You still have a few options, like thumb snap or molded trigger guard detent. I would go with the thumb snap because it won't open unless you hit it as you draw. The trigger guard retention system is either loose enough that you can lose your gun when running or so tight that it takes too much effort to draw.
I don't know what all will fit your gun but there are always custom makers that will build it for you.
Old January 4, 2017, 09:58 PM   #3
tahunua001

hmm... the only thing I could think of would be like an uncle mikes universal rig. galco is one of the few places I know that supports the tp9SF and it took them nearly 2 weeks just to process the payment for my tp9sf holster, no less ship me one. also, I'm not very impressed with the quality and safety of the holster I got. I would say since they won't allow the serpa style holsters that universal is probably your only bet.
Old January 4, 2017, 10:41 PM   #4
TunnelRat

If my Serpa style you mean locking and not just polymer encased, then I can think of a few options. Bravo Concealment would have what you need but not in that short of time as they list 6-8 weeks (you could try calling and see what they say). AlienGear offers one for the Canik TP9-SA which I think would work for the SF and their turnaround is sometimes quick but again I'd call.

It might be worth trying to see what other holsters will fit the Canik as anything custom made, even Kydex, might not be done fast enough for you. But if you can find a relatively popular model of holster that can be had ready made and will fit the pistol you might be okay. Safariland is one such type that typically has a number of ready made holsters at a number of retailers and I find the quality to be good.
Maintain situational awareness