The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 1, 2013, 01:17 PM   #26
DaleA

Post #14

Quote:
Lesson: never ever ever wear CCW gear that I have not worn and practiced with for some time in private. I shudder to think what the scenario would have been in a crowded grocery aisle or such.
Excellent advice but IMhO you shouldn't beat yourself up too much about this. It would have been embarrassing to have it fall out in the grocery store but as long as you didn't grab for it and catch the trigger by mistake it wasn't going to go off.

I suppose there are a few folk that would have gotten an attack of the vapors at seeing an evil firearm in the hands of a private citizen in public and felt faint, but I think that's a good thing for them...toughen them up don't you know.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:04 PM   #27
Rainbow Demon

Autoloaders can double, and I can envision the slide of a pistol that had fired in a pocket being prevented by the constraints of the pocket from moving all the way back, moving far enough to catch and chamber a round but not far enough for the sear (or its equivalent according to the type of pistol) to engage.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:34 PM   #28
StrangeBird1911

Quote:
I doubt the guy in OP will lose his permit permanently. In a shall issue state I'm not sure they could justify denying him his permit on that basis.
Oregon is a shall-issue state, but the sheriff has a little wiggle room for denying or revoking a license based on dangerous behavior. The revocation can be appealed to a court. If I were the sheriff, I'd hold the license until the owner took some more training.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:58 PM   #29
ClydeFrog

Fort Clayton RP(Panama City Panama)....

While I was deployed to Fort Clayton in Panama in the early 1990s, I had a MP in my platoon tell us how a military police soldier(rank unknown) had a ND with his issued M9 9mmNATO sidearm. The MP was a National Guard soldier & working in Panama. When he went to turn in his duty pistol to the unit arms room, he fired a FMJ bullet into the arms room clearing barrel. He was so shocked by the loud report, he kept firing round after round! A US Army MP officer yelled out a window for someone to grab the MP & disarm him.
No one was hurt but the MP got UCMJ actions(Uniform Code of Military Justice).

On a another deployment to Panama around the same period, there was a MP Sgt(E-6) who took his loaded M9 pistol off(he had a M12 shoulder holster rig) and left it on a outdoor table by his company bldg. When he returned, the M9 was gone! He got in BIG trouble! That was just stupid.

Clyde
Old January 13, 2013, 09:22 AM   #30
Rob Pincus

A well known firearms instructor lost his permit last week for ranting on the internet about what he would (supposedly) do if Obama enacted gun control through executive order. His rant including "killing people" and the state decided his presented a threat to people, so they have revoked his permit.

Think before speaking/writing/posting.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:33 AM   #31
m&p45acp10+1

When I was in my early 20's I worked at a gas station. Many police officers frequented our restroom. We kept a clean restroom, and it was the kind you went in, and locked the door. I lost count of the radios that were left behind on the TP dispenser. Twice guns were left behind. One uniformed cop left his service gun on the tank of the toilet. One Plain clothes detective left his service revolver on the sink. I found the weapons. Put them under the counter by the register. Both times they came back in less than 45 minutes asking if they left anything in the rest room. Both times I gave them back.

The radios it was a different story. After one was under the counter for two days we called the shift seargent who came and retrieved it. I will bet that officer did not hear the end of it for quite a while.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:48 PM   #32
SgtLumpy

Quote:
A well known firearms instructor lost his permit last week for ranting on the internet about what he would (supposedly) do if Obama enacted gun control through executive order. His rant including "killing people" and the state decided his presented a threat to people, so they have revoked his permit.
Could you mention which state took that action? That kind of rant doesn't seem to be the kind of objectionable clause that would cause a CCW to be denied. Convicted felon, fugitive, adjudicated mental etc but not "We heard you say you'd kill people on a web forum".

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 14, 2013, 08:04 PM   #33
MLeake

Tennessee, and it was a YouTube video, not a forum, per se.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:26 PM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Wasn't it here on TFL that we discussed a case where a cop set down or dropped a firearm during an arrest in a park and children were the ones to find it???

Anything ever happen to him besides being called to the carpet for a tongue lashing...

Brent
Old January 14, 2013, 08:34 PM   #35
Ben Towe

Quote:
Tennessee, and it was a YouTube video, not a forum, per se.
He must have rubbed some official the wrong way with his video rant. Tennessee rarely pulls permits.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:38 PM   #36
h2otoo

What he said:

"All the holsters I use for CCW have a thumb snap to retain the pistol. Yes, I need to remember to un-snap it, but that is part of my training.

Thumb break is the way to go, especially when you have to go...

Bob
Old January 18, 2013, 08:48 AM   #37
shep854

Pistol on coat-hook: To me, the most plausible version--
Years ago, I read an account by Mas Ayoob where he wrote of an officer who hung his 1911-style pistol on the hook, and bumped the trigger when he tried to lift it off. The pistol fired (the safety obviously having been knocked off) and the officer jumped, bumping the trigger again. I think that only two shots were fired, but it's been a while.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:40 AM   #38
Mike Irwin
Staff

"There is a story - could be an urban myth - of an officer who hung a semi on a coat hook and somehow the trigger got jostled. The gun spun around the hook, emptying its mag as it kept bouncing on the hook."

I can't remember who it was, but it was one of the gun rag writers in the late 1970s or sometime in the 1980s recounting a story like that, only in it the guy who did the hanging on the hook shot himself multiple times in the arm.

IIRC he was hanging a High Power on a hook in his gun safe.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:46 AM   #39
spacecoast

Quote:
I can't remember who it was, but it was one of the gun rag writers in the late 1970s or sometime in the 1980s recounting a story like that, only in it the guy who did the hanging on the hook shot himself multiple times in the arm.
That would certainly be classified as a limp wrist-resistant gun.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:05 AM   #40
stephen426

Quote:
Pistol on coat-hook: To me, the most plausible version--
Years ago, I read an account by Mas Ayoob where he wrote of an officer who hung his 1911-style pistol on the hook, and bumped the trigger when he tried to lift it off. The pistol fired (the safety obviously having been knocked off) and the officer jumped, bumping the trigger again. I think that only two shots were fired, but it's been a while.
I seriously doubt a properly functioning 1911 would go off unless the grip safety was deactivated. I could see a Hi-Power going off multiple times if the safety was off. I doubt any DA to SA pistols would go off since the trigger pull is heavier and longer.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:12 PM   #41
shep854

Good point, but owning 1911s myself, I can see how the grip safety can be depressed with the thumb while grasping it.
Fingers on frontstrap, thumb on back, on the safety and you're ready to go.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:27 AM   #42
sfmedic

What the OP brought up could be a whole thread in itself :-)

Someone should market a toilet roll dispenser that is designed to set a sidearm down on while you do your business.

I bet that would sell to ranges and LE facilities

I never have but I can see how that happened . It is a problem that I have never heard addressed before - what's a good technique when using a public restroom?

Ah hell - I'll do it
Old January 21, 2013, 10:03 AM   #43
shep854

Whatever works...this is yet another reason I like pocket carry. I do, however have to be careful about the shape of the pocket I carry in. I have had the gun slip out of large, square pockets--thankfully, no one saw it...