The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 19, 2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Mike38

A2 Firearm and Tactical Training.

Has anyone here ever taken any classes from A2 Firearm and Tactical Training near Lamoille, Illinois? It’s a relatively new business, only about 20 miles from me. At a local gun show, I talked with the guy that is the Instructor there, and I’m not so sure I’m impressed, but maybe it’s just me. I was looking for basic CQB training with handgun and carbine. He gave me the impression that he didn’t really go into that intense type of training. More like basic firearms handling and safety. Not that there’s anything wrong with the basics, but IMO I’m above that. I may sign up my wife and two adult children for the basics though.
Old December 24, 2011, 05:34 PM   #2
ltc444

When selecting a training facility, I allways ask to observe soome of the classes. There have been some postings on some training facilities which illustrated some really bad techniques and courses of fire.

I strongly suggest that you do not sign your wife or anyone else up for a training course. They need to interview the potential instructor and decide on one who is compatible with their needs.

When my wife finally decided to learn to shoot. (We had been married for 25 years and I and friends had been unable to teach her.) I talked to several schools selected one that I thought would work for her. I took her down to Caswells of Mesa AZ. I had her talk to the staff BY HERSELF. The clerk introduced her to an instructor.

The instructor talked with HER at length to determin HER level of training, HER needs and HER goals. The instructor spent about 30 minutes with my wife. At the end of their discussion my wife signed up for the basic course (this is a pistol the bullets come out this end)

They were so attuned to her and the course was so positive that she ended up taking three additional courses and self defense shotgun course.

Purchasing a weapon and taking training is like buying undergarments. It is a very personnal process and they will not be happy with the purchase unless they are comfortable.

The courses were worth the money. Now my life partner, comptroller and best friend enjoys hobby as much as I do.

She now finds room in the budget for ammunition and new guns.
Old December 24, 2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Mike38

Thanks for the reply. Very good advise.