The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 9, 2008, 09:01 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In Fla it is not legal to shoot a "nubbins" buck has to be a spike and I think it is 4 inches above hide.
Brent
Old November 9, 2008, 09:15 PM   #27
jimbo_4

Same here too hogdogs, although when you're bow hunting, you can shoot anything, gun hunting has to have antlers. Unless you have a permit for that county. And the same two deer came in last Tuesday, and the Sunday before. Sunday I took the shot, broke the arrow on a tree Then Tuesday, exact same deal, came in from the same way, didn't like what they saw and were on their way out same as Sunday. Took almost the identical shot, 30 yds, this time hit the doe! Although myself and 3 friends followed a massive blood trail for about 100 yds, then after another 200 yds, the trail just stopped! The doe came out of drainage ditch, did a small circle, and that's it! Four of us searched the area expanding out and found nothing Lesson learned: when a deer is as close as it was Friday ( the original day for this discussion) take the d*** shot! I know the shot that hit was a good chest shot, but from 10 yds, I could have easily got the heart with no problem. 30 yds and the deer is moving, it's a little tougher to get that accurate. So I'm a little disgusted with myself, I know it happens to everyone once in a while, still hate it though.