The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 15, 2000, 11:00 PM   #1
45acp

Can you guys please help. I want night sights on my SA 1911a1. My local gunsmith suggested sending the pistol out to have the sights drilled and tritium inserts installed.The other option is to have the front sight dovetailed and get a whole ne set of trjicon sights installed.)(currently my front sight is staked on) Ireally like the Novak low mounts that I have but, really need/want the night sights. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 15, 2000, 11:35 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

45ACP, the least expensive way to go is as your smith suggested. Send the slide to Innovative Weaponry. They have done several for my customers. They can do either; install tritium inserts or complete sights. They have a web site at www.ptnightsights.com. George
Old February 16, 2000, 03:18 PM   #3
Joe Blacke

Several years ago, I sent my 1911 slide to Wilson Combat to install their "nite-eyes". I couldn't be happier. They cut the front dovetail and cold blued my slide after installation. An all around perfect job.

Their night sights are a green front and yellow rear. I like this setup much better than an all green configuration. It is very fast for me and checking allignment is done automatically by your subconscious.

The rumor is that Wilson has also come out recently with a new style of sight. It apparently is very similar to the novak in all aspects, and even has to have the rear of the slide milled down to accept installation.

Wilson Combat has about a 1 week turnaround for sight install if you check out their website.
Old February 16, 2000, 06:35 PM   #4
Rosco Benson

Novak makes his low-mount 1911 sight with tritium dots or with a tritium "bar" beneath the notch. Novaks' tritum dot front sights are cross-dovetailed, so you would need to have some professional help with the installation. www.novaksights.com

Richard Heinie (www.heinie.com) also offers his Slant-Pro sight in a "straight-eight" tritium dot configuration and in a version which retrofits the Novak Low-mount. Heinie has a long backlog for full-house customizing, but offers quick turn-around on simple sight installations.

Rosco
Old February 16, 2000, 09:18 PM   #5
45acp

GEORGE, THANK YOU FOR THE HELP. I SPOKE WITH PT NIGHT SIGHTS TODAY AND I'M SENDIND MY SPRINGFIELD TO THE TOMORROW. I WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED... SORRY FOR THE CAPS GUYS!!!
Old February 17, 2000, 11:57 AM   #6
JD45

45ACP, I have a Champion model that I have been thinking about changing the sights on also.

Can you expand on your choice of colors and type, bar/dot. Are you having the front cut for a dovetail and what is the turnaround time with estimated cost.

I may have to do the same thing if you have good results.