The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Danindetroit

Digital powder dispensers/scale/trickler

I have been looking at the lyman 1200, like the fact the scale has a plastic wind/breath guard. RCBS seems to have a very big rep for quality from the rockchucker press to dies. Is the Powder master electronic Powder dispenser any good. Any other brand and comments welcome. I use Lee dies and press. I am thinking of getting a turret press to store the dies in, and just make adjustments for different bullet weight etc., the turrets seem so cheap it seems like an easy way to speed things up. The lee load all II for shot shells, is it worth it just to see if I want to even try reloading custom shoshells or is it garbage. Can it make a roll crimp to make slugs.
Old November 27, 2004, 04:22 PM   #2
dodgestdshift

Dan:

I have the RCBS Powder Pro scale and the RCBS Powdermaster Powder Dispenser. These are made by PACT, and I assum that they are the same.

I find them useful for large runs( over 20) , but for small runs I use my balance beam Ohaus 10-10 scale. You have to warm the scale up for about 20 min to 1/2 hour. This is not a problem since you can just plug it in 1/2 hour before you want to reload, and do something else. You have to calibrate them, which takes about 5 minutes. Using them makes for somewhat faster speed, but it takes a lot of the "tension" out of watching the balance beam balance. You can sit back, relax and measure powder by pushing a button. It will not keep up with a powder measure, but you have the assurance that the charges are correct since they are weighed. To increase speed even more, I set up a powder measure to throw charges slightly less than the required weight, and use the dispenser/scale to trickle the charge to the weight. This requires, obviously, a setup for the dispenser.

They can be finicky, but do not forget to warm them up, or you will have a "wandering zero" problem.

Don N.
Old December 1, 2004, 12:33 AM   #3
Danindetroit

Thanks, I always find that I take a long time to load 20 just because of the last couple of grains. I don't trust the powder measures. Once I find a load I want to be able to "throw" it fast. I intend on taking a sampling of rounds and weighing the powder on a beam scale, before seating the bullets. I have seen a fair number of "industrial accidents", and might be over cautious. Thanks for the help.
Old December 1, 2004, 05:17 AM   #4
Tim R

I have a Lyman DPS 1200. It works very well with IMR 4895 (havn't used other powders yet) and saves bunches of time. I reload a lot of 308 for my match M-1 and when I do reload for it it's in lots of 100 rounds or more.

Warm-up is 30 minute period. The machine won't let you do anything until it's warmed up. The counter counts down minutes remaining for you. After it's calibrated and I have ran it a bunch, it might ask for a re-cal which so far has been spot on.

I get 41.5 grs of IMR 4895 elec weighted every 20 seconds. I dump the powder in the case, put the pan back on the scale, hit the dispense button and recheck the case for powder level, and seat the bullet. The only thing I don't like is the loud and annoying "beep" I get when the machine has done it's thing.

I can also check the trickled weight in the pan by looking at the counter/display window. If a throw is off, I just dump back in the hopper and dispense again. This happens once or twice in a 100 rounds, no big deal.

Clean up is not so hard as there is a nice chute in the back of the hopper that opens up and drains off most of the powder. All and all it's been a wise investment and I picked up a few points to boot.
Old December 1, 2004, 10:15 PM   #5
Danindetroit

Thanks, I think the lyman has the plastic "wind guard" I notice I put my face right up to the scale pan, and my breath gets the scale moving more than the grain of powder I just put in the pan. They seem better than even an electric scale, and electric trickler because you should be able to wipe a case or pop primers or just sort brass, instead of messing with powders. Thanks for the input. I am going to check www.reloadersnest.com, and see if they have some more info.Thanks again
Old December 2, 2004, 01:33 PM   #6
Tim R

The plastic cover can be removed if needed. I found that doing more than one thing like priming, wipeing etc. and seating bullets is more than should be done if trying to keep up.
Old December 2, 2004, 10:09 PM   #7
Danindetroit

I understand, It is probably going to go so fast that I won't even have time to do something else. I always use loads that if "double loaded" will overfill the case. I always go 1 step at a time after popping primers, no bullet gets seated, until all cases have been filled, and I slightly flare the case mouth before loading powder. I have a mini mag flashlight, to check my cases to see if they all have powder.

I am that rare breed that reads owner manuals, knew that at age 16 I did not miracuoulys learn how to fix cars, and make love, that bought and read The ABC's of reloading?, before buying any reloading equipment. I learned that welding on a hot summer day that was overcast in shorts and no shirt you could still get a tan. I also learned the hard way why heavy equipment mechanics usually have a helper. At Sora quarry in Rockwood, the mechanic was tuning the controls on a small skid steer loader, Rick I think his name was worked in a building that used kerosene heat, I delivered their diesel fuel, gasolne, and K-1, I guess the bucket raised up to a little over waist high, and the control locked in forward. He was found after the machine had dug holes deep enough that it was resting on the frame. The last time I talked to him I think he said he had a little daughter.

I only reload for rifles, I informed shooters next to me that I was shooting a new batch of reloads, and if they wanted to take a break this would be a good time. Nobody ever got up from their bench. I haven't even deprimed cases since I hurt my back again. I appreciate and understand your concern, one "bad" incident gives the anti's more fuel.
Old December 4, 2004, 10:20 PM   #8
tcshooter52

I've been using the RCBS electronic scale and dispenser for over two years and love it. Yes, for loading less than 20 rounds a beam scale is alot faster but, once you find the right load it is very nice to use. Word of caution, this setup is very sensitive ,which means no outside air flow at all, (no over head fans, no open windows etc).