The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 8, 2014, 08:32 AM   #1
Tharpinator

Model 54 Winchester bore pitting.

Hey folks, new to the forum.

Looking at buying a model 54 Winchester in .30-06. Serial number puts it made in 1926. I'm seeing some strange (to me anyway) pitting in the barrel. I understand that it can't be removed and that the only way to know if it'll shoot is to just shoot it and see. Just wondering if anyone else has ever seen anything like this, and if so what was your experience?

What is odd about it to me is that the pits are in a ring around the inside of the bore. Not right at the muzzle, or right at the throat. Best I can tell it's about 7" from the muzzle. Attempted to get a pic, will post that later.
Old December 8, 2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Old Stony

Sounds like there was a bore obstruction at some time there. Can you feel a slight bulge running your fingers along the outside of the barrel? Chances are it will still shoot okay.
Old December 8, 2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Tharpinator

Interesting theory. No bulge that I can remember. I'll check it out next time I have the rifle in front of me. I should add that there is other similar pitting in a couple other places in the barrel. The worst is the spot I mentioned before, about 7 inches from the muzzle.
Old December 8, 2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Those turn up. People left patches or even oiled ropes in gun barrels in an effort to protect them. But when the oil dried out, the object was just a dust and moisture collector and rust around them was common.

A friend has a Springfield that I think to have had one of those ropes. It has a long band of pitting wandering down the barrel. It shoots like a dream for about seven shots from clean but as the rough band loads up with fouling, accuracy goes away.
Old December 8, 2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Tharpinator

I guess the ultimate question is, do y'all think it'll shoot? I'm getting a pretty good price on the rifle.
Old December 8, 2014, 03:47 PM   #6
Doyle

The only way to find out is to try. First, I'd try it very clean. Wait 4 or 5 minutes between shots to minimize heat affecting anything. Shoot 3-shot groups until you've gone through at least half a box to see if it gets better or worse.