The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 30, 2011, 07:19 AM   #1
KBP

Shipping rifles

Is it legal to ship a rifle in PA to a private person in the same state? How do I do it without breaking any laws or getting ripped off?
Old April 30, 2011, 11:39 AM   #2
brickeyee

For long guns you can use USPS.
Old April 30, 2011, 12:16 PM   #3
rbursek

One trick a gun dealer in CO told me when shipping a rifle and shotgun to my son in CO and I live in WI is to take the bolt out of the rifle and the barrel off of the shotgun, ship them seperate and now you are just shipping gun parts to each other which is legal since they are not any longer concidered a fire arm. I hope this helps. They went Fedex or Brown but I think it was Fedex.
Bob
Old April 30, 2011, 12:27 PM   #4
docnyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbursek View Post
One trick a gun dealer in CO told me when shipping a rifle and shotgun to my son in CO and I live in WI is to take the bolt out of the rifle and the barrel off of the shotgun, ship them seperate and now you are just shipping gun parts to each other which is legal since they are not any longer concidered a fire arm. I hope this helps. They went Fedex or Brown but I think it was Fedex.
Bob
I wouldn't advise this if I were you. You're walking a slippery slope when it comes to Federal firearms law.
Old April 30, 2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbursek
Bob
The receiver (or the component with the serial number) is legally considered a firearm whether it has a barrel on it or not, whether the bolt is in it or not. That's why a new AR stripped lower or a new 1911 frame has to be transferred through a FFL.

18 USC 921 defines a firearm as:
Quote:
The term “firearm” means
(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
Notice the Act specifies a receiver as a firearm and says nothing about an assembled rifle or shotgun. The Colorado dealer misinformed you and you committed a federal crime.
Old April 30, 2011, 02:32 PM   #6
KBP

Shipping firearms within PA

Thanks for all the insight but the question was "IS IT LEGAL TO SHIP A LONGGUN FROM PA TO ANOTHER PERSON IN PA?" My local Postmaster said NO to shipping USPS! Another postmaster in a nearby town said YES! Regardless of weather you can ship thru USPS, the most important question is; IS IT LEGAL? I think it is, but the jails are full of people that thought things they were doing were legal!
Old April 30, 2011, 02:49 PM   #7
docnyt

I'm not a lawyer but it looks like it's legal. Some info here on this thread:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/443...un-page-2.html
Old April 30, 2011, 07:25 PM   #8
dogtown tom

Quote:
KBP Thanks for all the insight but the question was "IS IT LEGAL TO SHIP A LONGGUN FROM PA TO ANOTHER PERSON IN PA?" My local Postmaster said NO to shipping USPS! Another postmaster in a nearby town said YES! Regardless of weather you can ship thru USPS, the most important question is; IS IT LEGAL? I think it is, but the jails are full of people that thought things they were doing were legal!
1. There is no Federal law or USPS regulation that requires you to notify the ANYONE that you are shipping a rifle or shotgun.
2. Postmasters are not authorized to render legal decisions regarding the shipment of firearms.
3. The USPS will not know you are shipping a rifle or shotgun unless you tell them. Don't invite unneeded, unnecessary or illogical drama into your life.
4. USPS regs on shipping firearms: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#1198527

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 30, 2011, 07:32 PM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
rbursek One trick a gun dealer in CO told me when shipping a rifle and shotgun to my son in CO and I live in WI is to take the bolt out of the rifle and the barrel off of the shotgun, ship them seperate and now you are just shipping gun parts to each other which is legal since they are not any longer concidered a fire arm. I hope this helps. They went Fedex or Brown but I think it was Fedex.
Bob
You just admitted to a Federal crime.
You could dice that gun into a million little pieces and it is still a firearm.

It is always safest to VERIFY THE RULES YOURSELF.

It isn't hard to find firearms laws and postal regulations. Google is your friend.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 30, 2011, 08:33 PM   #10
csmsss

Though the odds of getting caught and prosecuted seem slim, why risk a federal prosecution for the sake of saving a few bucks in dealer fees? Do you know what it costs to defend yourself once the feds decide to take an active interest in you? Even if they don't prosecute?
Old May 1, 2011, 08:08 AM   #11
blume357

Back to the original question...

I believe it is perfectly legal for you to mail a long gun to another individual in your state of PA. Simply because it is legal for you to mail a long gun via USPS... and private sales of long guns (and short) are legal in the state of PA, between residents of the same.

As for 'safe'.... Well, I would for sure get and secure payment first if you don't know the person you are mailing the rifle to real well.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:59 PM   #12
Daugherty16

Why Not Drive it There?

PA is large as Eastern states go, but nothing like Montana or Texas.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:20 AM   #13
natman

If both the seller and the buyer are residents of the SAME state, it is perfectly legal on a FEDERAL level to sell a gun without the transfer going through an FFL. Some states, such as CA, require most sales to go through an FFL even between two CA residents. I don't know if PA has any such laws.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...-firearms-usps

Quote:
Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.
Assuming that PA does not have any restrictions, it is perfectly legal for you to ship the firearm to a buyer in the same state. You can only MAIL long guns.

Quote:
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.{emphasis added}
Here's the postal regs:

http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx

Be sure to point out this one to the postmaster who refused to ship:

Quote:
11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice.

Last edited by natman; May 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM.