The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2009, 01:24 AM   #1
Tex S

PACT Pro XP IR Chronograph

Does anyone have experience with this system? I am considering buying it from Midway since I have $250 in Christmas gift certificates there. I like the fact that it...

1) will interface with my PC.
2) contains an ever expanding bullet library that is accesible and upgradeable via online downloads.
3) has IR cababilities. This apparently eliminates any malfunctions due to poor lighting conditions.
4) has a printer (I can staple string results to the corresponding target).
5) calculates MPBR.
6) has a detailed keypad.
7) does a whole buncha other stuff too.

The unit appears to have alot of bells and whistles; at least more than other brands I have shopped. I am a bit concerned though, becuase it has several bad reviews on Midways website.

Anybody know if this is a good buy? I have never owned a chrony, and would like to get the purchase right the first time.
Old December 29, 2009, 07:32 AM   #2
hornady

A chrony is one of those specialized tools. Not everyone needs, I load for hunting . And want to get the most out of a particular bullet. Which the Chrony is very helpful. However if just punching paper. Or going for accuracy not much help. They can be time consuming setting up. If you have a buddy to help it really helps. I have the Beta Master Chrony. I like the Idea of having the read out at the bench. You can order all the same whistles and bells for it to. But I did not find a need for them. I put the extra money into components. In the past I have found the reviews at Midway very useful.
Old December 29, 2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Tex S

Just got off the phone with PACT. They gave me some information on the unit, but I am still a bit confused as to how their software works. Anybody familiar with it?
Old December 30, 2009, 12:14 AM   #4
w748

Not familiar with the model you mention , I have , however , owned a Pact model1 for over 12 years. Absolutly no problems until I put a .308 through both sensor housings this summer. A call to Pact had parts on their way ( cheap too! ) and barely a snicker from the folks I talked to on the phone. If I ever need a new one I will certainly buy from Pact! Customer service and support could not be better!
Old December 30, 2009, 06:52 AM   #5
mjm

would you post the link to Midway that shows the model you are looking at. I did not find the combination when I searched.
Old December 30, 2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Tex S

Quote:
would you post the link to Midway that shows the model you are looking at. I did not find the combination when I searched.
I am buying the Pro XP chrony from Midway. The IR upgrade kit is coming from PACT. You can buy the complete system from PACT, but I have gift certificates to Midway so I have to mix and match since they don't carry the IR upgrade kit.

I am actually saving $10 buying it this way. I'm also getting an extra set of sensors.
Old December 30, 2009, 01:41 PM   #7
mjm

I understand. If you do buy it, please post up how it works for you. I looked at the PACT very hard. I was going to buy the CED, but they are now on backorder.
Old December 30, 2009, 05:50 PM   #8
Tex S

Should be here by the 11th. I'll let ya'll know what happens.