The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 11, 2005, 07:36 PM   #1
wayneinFL

ruger carbine bolt locks open

I have a Ruger carbine in 44 mag., not the Deerfield carbine, but the older version, SN starts with 102.

I don't have the manual in front of me- please correct me if I use part names like "thingamajiggy".

I bought this used and fired it once. I pulled the action and barrel off the stock to clean it. When I did two screws fell out. I found where the screws went- one slotted screw at the rear of the receiver, and one allan screw at the front of the mag tube- I think it's the assembly with the gas piston. I put the screws back in and cleaned and oiled everything.

After I put it together, it would not cycle ammunition- the bolt would lock to the rear when hand-cycling, as if the magazine were empty. I don't think it ever did that before.

What's wrong?
Old January 11, 2005, 08:42 PM   #2
DT Guy

Never even handled one, so this is a SWAG*: did you somehow trap the the piston with the screw or or reverse it?

Good luck!

Larry

*SWAG=Scientific Wild-A$$ Guess

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old November 1, 2005, 08:41 PM   #3
samoand

I'm having same exact problem - if it is a problem indeed. I picked up a 44 mag at a gun show, never shot it yet; played with blanks though and observed identical behavior. Is it the way it's supposed to work? Perhaps the chamber needs that burst from a real cartridge to induce feeding from the tube, and so it will act differently when actually fired? Too bad I won't make it to rifle range any time soon. wayneinFL - or anybody else - did you find out anything? -Cheers!
Old November 2, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Rimrod

Never owned one or worked on one.

But lets see. Samoand use real ammunition. Wayne I have two books on disassembly/reassembly of that rifle, neither of which is very clear. The one does however mention the hole in the magazine tube and they say to install a nail in it to ease reassembly, but it doesn't stay in the gun. They both do say that the gun can be tricky and left to a competent gunsmith.

Good luck,
Rod
Old November 2, 2005, 11:05 PM   #5
fhp490

Ruger

you can view or download your manual here

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...ctManuals.html
Old November 2, 2005, 11:12 PM   #6
wayneinFL

Quote:
wayneinFL - or anybody else - did you find out anything?
You know I keep meaning to take it out to the range to see if that happens while firing, but I just haven't got around to it.

Of course, the range is closed due to hurricane damage, so it's not going to happen this weekend.
Quote:
They both do say that the gun can be tricky and left to a competent gunsmith.
That's probably what I'm going to do, if it doesn't work.
Quote:
The one does however mention the hole in the magazine tube and they say to install a nail in it to ease reassembly, but it doesn't stay in the gun.
Bear in mind I posted this in January. It's all a little fuzzy. The hole I put the allan screw in was threaded, and, IIRC, there was another hole elsewhere. I wouldn't have messed with anything but when I pulled the action from the stock, those two screws fell out on the kitchen table. They had been lying there for some time; that's the way it came from the previous owner. I simply put the screws in where they fit.
Old November 3, 2005, 10:15 AM   #7
samoand

hmm... it appears that it's a fairly rare rifle - if even a competent bunch here holds their silence. I'll make sure to report the results when I get around to taking it to a range. -Best regards!
Old November 10, 2005, 04:12 AM   #8
samoand

Greetings all! Mine works fine with live ammo; cycles them just as expected. I won't go into speculations as to why hand-cycling causes different behavior. - Best regards.
Old November 17, 2005, 08:49 PM   #9
akles

ruger carbine bolt locks open

The bolt will stay locked open untill the release in back of
the loading gate is pushed in that is how mine works