The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 1, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Sigslayer

S&W 19-4 357 Combat Magnum

Hello folks. This is my first post to this forum. I'm looking for some opinions/ info. I am an avid shooter and firearm enthusiast. I recently made a trade and as part of it, I received a very nice 19-4 4" blued with pachmayr grips. I got some ammo, holster and speed loaders along with it. I've done some research on the gun, but would love to hear some opinions. I'm unsure if I'm going to keep it, or sell it (I'm eyeing a sig 2sum, but wife says no more purchases unless I get rid of something. I have a 686 357 and super black hawk in 44mag, as well as a governr. The rest of my handguns are semi autos. I'm not set on any course of action at this point. Hoping some feedback and discussion can help me make that call. Any info, value, desirability, history eye would be helpful.
Thanks in advance for your time & effort.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:11 PM   #2
AID_Admin

Welcome to the forum! I am new myself and can not provide a lot of information based on experience. But I am actively learning about revolvers for number of months now and came to a conclusion that majority of revolver enthusiasts consider Model 19 one of the most sought after revolvers is the history of double action. Supposedly it has one of the best actions and accuracy among revolvers. The only drawback is that it is not recommended to feed it with full magnum load on regular basis. It is a magnum revolver though, just not the toughest one.

Again, strictly from what I leaned from others, this revolver may be more to your liking than 686 you have. I think before you move it the least you can do is to take them both to the range and compare side by side. As far as value (I've been watching Model 19 and its cousin Model 66 very closely lately) it looks like it will fetch $500 to $700 depending on the condition and your luck. Your 686 will fetch about the same amount, thus comparing them on the range makes even more sense.

I am sure more experienced revolver crowd will add a lot more to my statements.

Last edited by AID_Admin; May 2, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Crazy88Fingers

A S&W K-frame revolver is a fine machine indeed. The K-frame was originally built for .38 special though so, as mentioned, take it easy with the .357 loads. When you do fire .357s, stick with heavier bullets (140 gr and up).

That being said, they certainly aren't fragile guns and they are sought after.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:31 PM   #4
BarryLee

The Model 19 and the stainless version the Model 66 are some of the more popular revolvers S&W made. A lot of folks think they are the perfect size sort of between the M-686 like you have and the smaller J-Frame.

As mentioned they did have an issue with cracks developing in the flat side of the forcing cone which most people attribute to the use of higher-powered loads and maybe lack of cleaning. The general consensus seems to be that with the use of normal ammo the guns should run fine, but not sure there’s any real data. I personally own a M-66 that has had plenty of standard ammo through it with no issues.

Anyway, the guns remain very popular, so there is a market if you decide to sell it.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 1, 2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Sigslayer

Thanks guys. I love my 6" stainless 686. Had it for a number of years. I used to ccw my sig 229R da/sa, but now my g'vner goes every where with me. That being said, I'm not longing for any guns right now EXCEPT the sig 2sum. Given that I'm happy with my 686, ruger SBH and such, it just makes sense to me to find a home for the one gun in my safe I'm not wedded to. But seems like everyone I ask, says....."KEEP THE 19!" Lol. Is it generally considered that the k frames in decent shape will continue to appreciate??? I may put it up on armslist or something in the $650 range with ammo, holster & speed loaders, and see what happens?? Thoughts?
Old May 1, 2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Crazy88Fingers

Quote:
Is it generally considered that the k frames in decent shape will continue to appreciate?
They're guns that people like and haven't been made in 14 years. So they won't be getting any cheaper, that's for sure.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:46 PM   #7
tahoe2

Welcome aboard Sigslayer!

The model 19 is one of the best revolvers ever made (obviously my opininon).
it's the right size with minimal recoil and one of the best triggers you will ever find in a stock revolver. sadly I only have one (6" Bbl), and if I had the dough, I would try to talk you out of it. I say keep it and give it a chance. But of course it's your decision. I've had numerous auto pistols, Browning Hi-Power, Springfield Armory 1911-A1, H&K USP, etc ... but after 40+ years of shooting & hunting, I'm back to where I started, single & double action revolvers, sweet shooting, powerful, utterly reliable, and they don't spit brass everywhere. nothing wrong with semi-autos and the ones that I owned never failed after thousands of rounds, for me they just lost their appeal. I do keep one around for home defense, but the revolvers work for that too!! Good Shootin!
the 19 is on the bottommarch inventory 154.jpg

Last edited by tahoe2; May 1, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Sigslayer

Thanks Tahoe

I have utter faith in my revolvers, but my autos are all reliable as well. I will say I have owned & then sold every single poly/ composite pistol I've had. Never quite fell in love with the plastic glocks, XD's etc. but being a huge sig fan, I tried out the 250 2sum with both barrels at the range a few weeks back, and I just need to have one lol. As with most of my gun purchases my wife has thrown up a better half veto on purchasing one unless I sell or trade an existing gun for it lol. That being said, I think, deep down, I've already decided I'll rehome the 19-4.....just a matter of getting comfortable with the thought of letting go of a piece if American revolver history.....catch 22....but still preferable to sleeping in the couch
Old May 2, 2013, 12:07 AM   #9
DaleA

Shrug. If you gotta get rid of something to get something you really want then I'd say...keep it and get the something else too!!! (You can do a search on 'wife' and see the incredible debates this has sparked in the past. No need to resurrect them here and now.)

(You really don't want to become known as 'the guy that sold that really nice 19-4 4 inch blue S&W'. )

Somebody here has a signature line that says never get of any of your guns and I'm kind of that way too. Plus the S&W 19 really is kind of iconic.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:13 AM   #10
AID_Admin

Well, if you keep this post going long enough you may find someone to give home to your Model 19 right here on the forum. Heck, I could of been that guy, if I did not commit to the similar gun JUST THIS MORNING!...
Old May 2, 2013, 12:17 AM   #11
Sigslayer

Words of wisdom Dale

Truly words of wisdom.....hmmmm...well guess I don't to make a decision right now.....idk.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:18 AM   #12
Sigslayer

Congrats on the new purchase AID! What did you pick up?
Old May 2, 2013, 01:11 AM   #13
JimmyR

I think the Model 19 is a great weapon, and that everyone should own at least one at least once. Those that decide to get rid of them should do so at their own peril.

Personal story: Early in my gun collecting, I bought a very nice Ruger Security Six 6" barrel. I loved shooting that gun, but because it wasn't what I wanted at the time, I sold it. The gun I thought I wanted was a Sig 250. I ended up selling the Sig, and have since kicked myself for selling the Ruger. Don't be like me. Don't let go of a great quality revolver for a piece of tupperware.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:15 AM   #14
ArkieVol

Quote:
...but wife says no more purchases unless I get rid of something.
Something? If the wife knows how much you really appreciate guns, she may want to rethink that ultimatum

I have a couple of flavors of Mod 19's and shoot the 6" often. (Afraid I'll get the shiny one dirty so I don't shoot it much.)

Seriously, the Mod 19, "Combat Magnum" is a classic. Look up Bill Jordan, Border Patrol agent and author of "No Second Place Winner" and you will find the story of how the Mod 19 became the first K frame .357 in 1956. You may get a little bored shooting it though. They tend to put all the bullets in the same hole.

Old May 2, 2013, 03:43 AM   #15
Brit

The last time I handled a S&W 66, was a funny story. My Son and I were visiting Phoenix Arizona. A friend of mine was a Sgt. in the City Police.
Chris is long retired.

We were invited for a ride along, our Glock 17s were left in the trunk of our rental (dept. policy) this was years ago.

My young driver, John, said "I saw you had to leave your pistol behind?"
"Are you familiar with a Mod 66 S&W?" Affirmative. "There is one in the Glove Box" Loaded with .125g .357 Hollow Points. What was left of the box of 50 as well.

That made the 4 hours with this nice young Officer feel better!

You know you are getting old, when Police Officers look like Boy Scouts, with guns!
Old May 2, 2013, 09:24 AM   #16
AID_Admin

Sigslayer, I actually got Model 66 with 6" barrel: a stainless cousin of your Model 19. I sent a payment for it about eight hours before you placed your post. Before that I spent about a month reading every singe post and ad related to Models 19 and 66, so, I think I know about them as much as there is to know. That includes such fine details as when pinned barrels were discontinued, what different sights were used, what grips are available and so on.

I shot model 66 against 686 I found it being more comfortable (for me IMO). The funny part is that when I went to the range and rented a revolver, guys on the range did not know they have both 66 and 686, they thought it was the same gun. I did not know either, so I ended up with 686 couple of time and then with 66 a couple of times. I thought one of them felt a little better even though they were very-very similar until I looked under the cylinder and saw they are different models.

So, I started looking for either Model 19 or 66 to buy. Since both are out of production I looked for used. I was leaning towards 19, because I really liked the looks of it. On the other hand 66 is a more practical gun. I kept looking for a few weeks until I came across a gentleman on line who received 66 in trade. Judging by pictures and his description it is in excellent to mint condition and the asking price was on the lower end of the spectrum. I grabbed it. It was yesterday morning...

Anyway, if you decide to sell your Model 19, it will fly out of your hands for the right price. But if you MUST sell a gun in order to buy another gun, you'll do yourself a favor by taking both 19 and 686 on the range and comparing them. I did (686 against 66) and liked 66 better, even though they are very similar...

Here is mine, can't wait to see it in person

Old May 2, 2013, 10:24 AM   #17
Sigslayer

Beautiful gun!!

That's a real beauty. Congratulations. I have shot both guns. Side by side. Perhaps I'm only a purist when it comes to scotch lol. For me, my 686, feels better, looks better and can throw slightly hot magnum loads with deadly precision all day long. The 19 is just as accurate (but from what I've read, may not be suited for a steady diet of magnums??) but does not instill the same confidence and security as when I'm looking down the sights of my 686. I love my single action SBH too , but that's just a beast of a different story. So, Aid...tell me, what would you consider the right price on my 19? Just out of curiosity, ballpark it for me please. Lets conservatively put it at 95% condition, with all of the extras. What are your thoughts?

Arlie, those are gorgeous guns as well!! As for my wife, well I can't really fault her. She truly is my better half and with the political climate surrounding guns lately, I may have made a few more purchases than normal. She's not wrong, one of has to be the responsible one lol. Fact is I detest the polymer guns. Of all of the weapons in my safe, not a single piece of Tupperware but I am a sig guy through and through. Whether it's the absurdity of the name......2SUM, the near perfect balance for a small lightweight gun, or just a wild hair on my part(which I don't think it is) I am lusting after that gun, and aside from getting my first 1911 years ago, that almost never happens. Lol.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:43 AM   #18
AID_Admin

Sigslayer, I am not in the position to price your gun... it heavily depends on many factors including, but not limited to how fast you want to sell it and how much you like the buyer. If I were trying to buy Model 19 in 95% condition from you I would try to talk you into the neighborhood of or right above $500 + whatever the extras cost. If I were able to do it, I would be be getting a good bargain and you would be a generous gentleman who sold the gun on the lower end, but knows that it went into very good hands

If I were a seller of this gun I would probably price it right below $700 + the cost of extras OBRO and see what offers I get...
Old May 2, 2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Sigslayer

Haha! With flattery like that, it makes me want to just give you the gun lol
Just goes to show "you can get more with a kind word and a gun, than just a kind word alone." AC I put it up on armslist.com last night at $650 (extras included) I'll wait and see what shakes out & keep you guys posted. I'm in no rush, and quite possibly may end up keeping it. Going to do some more shooting this weekend....we shall see!
Old May 2, 2013, 11:29 AM   #20
AID_Admin

Yeh, I am known to get things for a little less due to my communication skills, even though English is my second language. If you send me the gun for free, please allow me at least to pay for the shipping, I want to be a gentleman too!

Anyhow, I think your asking price goes along with what others ask. It may not fly out of your hands in a day or two, but you should be able to sell it in a reasonable time frame...
Old May 2, 2013, 10:15 PM   #21
PzGren

I have a few M19s and they are great guns that I have bought when the prices were below $225 for a decent Combat Magnum. They are good guns but not really made to shoot a lot of powerful .357 Magnum loads, particularly not with light jacketed or semi jacketed bullets.

The S&W 686 is a much more solid gun while still giving the impression of a refined and well balanced gun.

If you have your guns to shoot them and need to choose in between the M19 and the 686, my advice would be to keep the 686. I am glad that I do not have to make that decision!

Old May 3, 2013, 03:07 PM   #22
John D

Wow, I can't imagine getting rid of a 4" Model 19 - that's a super revolver. Unless I needed the $$$ for food, it would NEVER leave my side!
Old May 3, 2013, 04:07 PM   #23
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D
I can't imagine getting rid of a 4" Model 19
While keeping a Governor, too. That'd governor would be on the block if it were my choice.

A very distant second choice - and it kills me to say - would be the 6" 686. If you want something that'll hit harder than your M19, your SBH .44mag would do it. The 686 is in between the 2, so it's a little redundant.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:21 PM   #24
pete2

The model 19 is one of my favorites. The 4" is very good for carry, it's light weight, powerful with .357, and a pleasure with 38 specials. I have a 6" 19 that's my favorite revolver. I shoot a 4' 586 in IDPA, recently bought a model 15 and will probably try it in IDPA. All the S&W guns are great, the older ones are nicer than the newer ones from my experience.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:06 PM   #25
pmeisel

I have a Model 19-4. Have had it for 25 years or so and it's a great shooter, more accurate than I am.

One of my sons will own it when I can't shoot it anymore. But not until then.

Tags
i agree