The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Sources for material needed

I am new to this and because of s&h I have sourced powder local. Other than that I was able to find 200 primers. im loading 9mm to start. I have lead bullets on order from Midatlantic but I am having trouble finding loads using lead bullets with power pitol or hp-38. The alliant page doesnt offer any lead bullet data for power pistol.
-Small pistol primers?
-Jacketed & lead bullets?
-Everything else?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown

Last edited by BoogieMan; January 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Without knowing what bullet shape or weight you ordered, nobody can address the charge question. Hodgdon's load data includes HP-38 data for a 115 grain lead round nose (LRN) and for a 125 grain lead conical nose (LCN) bullet. Alliant only has 9 mm data for Speer Gold Dot bullets, but knock those loads down 10% for same-weight lead, and you are likely to do OK. You can then work up slowly, watching for pressure signs.

As to supplies, there is a shortage currently because the threat of new gun laws has produced panic buying and it coincides with the military and government agencies making stockpile orders for ammunition. Lots of competition. The supply lines are supposed to start catching up some items next month.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 21, 2013, 11:21 AM   #3
BoogieMan

Sorry for the missed infor.
125gr round nose lead- http://store.midatlanticbullets.com/...e-1-1-1-5.aspx
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 21, 2013, 11:27 AM   #4
factoryrat

I don't know if it helps, but HP-38 is the same powder as Win 231, if I remember right. That might help.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

It is the same, but Hodgdon distributes both, so their load data is what there is on line and it is the same. Lee shows 231/HP38 with a 124 grain lead bullet with a starting load of 3.3 grains and a maximum of 4.0. That should be reasonable.

Hornady lists Power pistol for their 124 grain bullets that includes their discontinued swaged lead RN bullet without difference when seated to 1.090" COL. This has a range of 4.3 grains to 5.7 grains of Power Pistol. But I would probably expect to stop in the middle of that range with lead to avoid leading issues. So 4.3 to 5 grains is the range I would likely stick to.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM.