The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 20, 2011, 12:43 PM   #1
tote4570

Knowledgeable gunsmiths

I was in a local gun shop the other day and was inquiring about shortening the barrel on a shotgun I own. I found out that they are really just a middleman and they send that type stuff off to a machinist. I told them I wanted it to be rethreaded to still accept remchokes and the guy at the store informed me that I might have to swap to a different type of choke. He said it has to do with how much metal is left when they cut the barrel to the desired length. I'm pretty sure it gets thicker as you get closer to the chamber. Does it sound like he is trying to get me to purchase a different brand of chokes or does he not know himself?
Old July 20, 2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Rifleman1776

Nothing wrong with a gun shop sending repair work out to a gunsmith. Just getting a dealer's license does not confer gunsmithing wisdom on the store owner. I did that when I had my shop. Once a week I loaded up the station wagon with guns and took them to a gunsmith about 50 miles from me. I then picked his work from the previous week. I like it and profited, he liked it and profited and, most importantly, my customers were happy with the excellent work done on their guns.
As for the choke thing, sounds like he should just have said he would get back to you with a report from the gunsmith. Bluffing ignorance is never good. Honesty rarely fails.
Old July 20, 2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Kodyo

If he said you MIGHT have to swap to a different choke, he may just be covering his bases with you rather than trying to get you to buy something else.
Old July 20, 2011, 01:37 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Moving to the Smithy forum for more responses.
Old July 20, 2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Scorch

Yes, there is more metal as you get closer to the breech, but that does not mean there is enough metal there to be able to safely install a threaded choke, particularly the factory style which tend to be somewhat thicker than an aftermarket type like the Briley chokes. Many factory barrels are flared out near the muzzle so that they can accept the factory chokes, and once that is cut off it is difficult to flare the muzzle of the barrel becasue the steel is hard and can split. Measuring the OD of the barrel is not necessarily a good indicator of the wall thickness as the bore could be off center. Instead of telling the shop owner how to do what you want done, ask him to have the machinist call you when he has the gun in hand and discuss it.

And no, sending the work out to an expert is not a bad thing. Lawyers do it, doctors do it, auto mechanics do it, auto paint shops do it, electricians do it, print shops do it, antique stores do it . . . even gun shops do it.
Old July 20, 2011, 03:20 PM   #6
tote4570

Are the adjustable chokes any good? Another thing, he said they send it off to a machinist instead of a gunsmith. Would I be better off finding a gunsmith on my own.
Old July 20, 2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Another thing, he said they send it off to a machinist instead of a gunsmith. Would I be better off finding a gunsmith on my own.
That would depend on how good the gunsmiths machining skills are.
One wants to be darn sure the choke tubes are concentric with the bore.
I know of a gunsmith north of me that does shotgun work, I've had several of his customers call me.
It seems they weren't to happy about their favorite scattergun having a built in lead because the screw in chokes were installed off center.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old July 21, 2011, 02:38 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ideally, all gunsmiths are perfect machinists, welders, spring makers, etc. Realistically, some areas of work are better farmed out to experts. In fact, it is usually better to deal with a gunsmith who knows his limitations than one who will tackle any job without having the knowledge and experience to do it properly.

As for a gun shop, some have competent gunsmiths on the premises. Most have people who can do small jobs like installing scopes on drilled and tapped rifles or replacing parts on common guns; they will send out anything else.

The advantage of using a gun shop as an intermediary is that the shop accepts (though they may not know it) responsibility for the work being done to the customer's satisfaction. If it is not, it is the shop's job to make it right in one way or another. The disadvantage is that instructions can become garbled when going through a third party, so the customer should have the option to talk directly to the gunsmith if the job is complex or there are options involved.

Jim
Old July 21, 2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Kestrel4k

Quote:
[...] I told them I wanted it to be rethreaded to still accept remchokes and the guy at the store informed me that I might have to swap to a different type of choke. He said it has to do with how much metal is left when they cut the barrel to the desired length.
This was my exact experience as well, I asked for Remchokes if possible but the choke tube installer that my LGS uses had to do the slimmer ones. All in all it worked out great and I am very pleased with the result. It sounds like your LGS is spot-on IMO.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had a machinist do his choke tube installation a while back, it ended up being a near-disaster that had to be done twice.

I would definitely utilize the services recommended by your LGS, chances are that they do a lot of them and will do the best job possible.

Hope this helps,