The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 27, 2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Playboypenguin

CCW permit changed my handgun tastes

Has anyone else seen a drastic change in their handgun buying trends after actively starting to carry a firearm daily? When I did not carry I bought things like Ruger Super blackhawks, Ruger Vaqueros, Ruger 6" GP100, Uberti SA revolvers, Taurus PT92, etc. Mostly big bores and big barrels.

Since I have started carrying daily (it's almost habit now...I do the keys, wallet, cell phone, firearm pat down before walking out the door) I have bought S&W 637, S&W 642 (coming soon), Taurus 605, Taurus 731, Seecamp, Kahr MK40, etc.

It seems like the first thing I used to think of was "How big a boom is this baby going to make?" and now what I think is "will this gun be adequate protection while still being easy to carry?"

Last edited by Playboypenguin; November 27, 2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old November 27, 2006, 07:31 PM   #2
hpg

Yes I have,
Kel-Tec P11, Taurus 85ss/ul, S&W 637, Glock 27. To name a few.......hpg
Old November 27, 2006, 07:47 PM   #3
blume357

Yes, you are right...

I went down to a 380 cal Sig 230 for 'evening carry' and a ruger KP95 for general all around. the one thing I figured out quick...living in the south in the summer time... stainless steel.
Old November 27, 2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Jkwas

Same here. Whenever I look at a gun now it's how concealable. Period. My tastes seem to lean toward smaller and smaller.
Old November 27, 2006, 08:25 PM   #5
tony pasley

I still carry a full size 45 acp daily.
Old November 27, 2006, 08:34 PM   #6
Syntax360

I never wanted a wheel gun until I started carrying. Since I got my first snub, I'm really starting to dig them.

Also, I never planned on owning anything sub-9mm, but I also have a Bersa Thunder .380 in my humble collection now.
Old November 27, 2006, 08:35 PM   #7
cheygriz

I now carry a SIG P239 9MM almost daily. Once in a while, I'll break out the SIG P226 9MM, but it's big and heavy.

I also now have a S&W J frame airweight that drops into a front pants pocket if need be.
Old November 27, 2006, 08:43 PM   #8
Playboypenguin

First, thanks to everyone that has posted so far.
Second, I am interested in whether your overall buying trend had switched to smaller weapons since carrying. Not just if you carry a small weapon.

Kind of a " I used to buy this but now I buy this" thread.
Old November 27, 2006, 11:53 PM   #9
minsonngo

Yeah... my tastes have changed ever since I started to carry. Im a medium athletic build guy so concealing a full size is pretty hard to do on my frame. I went from full size straight down to sub-compacts. My main carry on hot summer days is my G27. During winter the G19 or G23 are my choices.
Old November 28, 2006, 12:19 AM   #10
skeeter1

Not really. If I need a "drop in the pocket" CCW, that would be either my High Standard .22 Magnum derringer or maybe my Smith M60. I'd rather have a longer-barreled handgun, but that would necessitate a holster. I'm not big enough (think "Dirty Harry") to pack a .44Mag under a suitcoat.
Old November 28, 2006, 12:32 AM   #11
dallasconundrum

Yes, I've noticed this to some extent myself. I still buy larger "shooters" occasionally. But a lot of my purchases have leaned more towards stuff that I can carry, and I find myself thinking more in those terms. I also find that I don't buy as many revolvers anymore either, but that is more of a function of my having that "collection" basically complete I suppose. I'm really more into mid-size guns. About 4 inch barrels (which I always preferred in a revolver as well) and a little bit shorter grip (which I find fits my hand better anyway in general). For the most part I still stick with my two same two cartridges (the 9mm and .45) though I have picked up two different .380s.
Old November 28, 2006, 03:25 AM   #12
Majic

Not really. I decided on what I wanted to carry a long time ago. Everything else is just my toys to be added to the collection.
Old November 28, 2006, 03:39 AM   #13
UniversalFrost

I have only activley pursued the smaller more concealable handguns only when buying for my wife (HKUSPc in .40) and as a piece to wear as a backup (Colt detective in .38 in a ankle rig). I am a big guy (6'1" 225) and I carry a beretta 96 brigadier or a colt commander 1911 in a OWB or small of the back holster with no problems. My brother on the other hand (same size guy) prefers the seecamps and a ruger p95. It really depends on what you wear daily (I wear mostly suits or work clothes like carharts) and how well you can conceal it. Sometimes weight does become an issue, but it all boils down to what fits you the best. Also as a last line, the holster makes all the difference in the world. I had carried with a kydex holseter OWB for the 1911 and then switched to a Desantis OWB and it was like I was carrying half the gun and it became much more concealable.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old November 28, 2006, 07:30 PM   #14
tony pasley

Over all buying is done with collecting in mind, not carry.
Old November 28, 2006, 08:36 PM   #15
denfoote

Yup!!
Since I got my CCW, neigh onto six years ago, my views have changed drastically!! I used to carry a Ruger P95 when it was open carry only. Now, it sits in the safe, neglected. I read a gun rag article wherein it suggested that for CCW, smaller and lighter was better!! I had a tendency to agree.
Now, I carry things like K-frame revolvers, small autos such as the Kahr MK9, and mouseguns like the Kel-Tec P3AT.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old November 28, 2006, 08:43 PM   #16
Candiru

I've gone the opposite direction: When I started out, I was focused on small, DAO semi-autos of the newest and most modern design for concealed carry. The problem was, though, that they were no fun to shoot, and I like shooting a lot. I also like reliability and durability in my carry guns, and these came up a little short on that front, too.

As a result, I found myself gravitating back to the kinds of guns I shot best, could shoot a lot, and knew to be reliable, like Hi-Powers and 1911s. For pocket carry, I've given up on small semi-autos and embraced snub-nosed revolvers. In every case, the size and weight went up, but so did my peace of mind. Surprisingly, the larger guns are not much more difficult to carry at all.
Old November 28, 2006, 10:05 PM   #17
brett30030

I am always looking for smaller, faster, better. If i am going to shoot something bigger, i'll use a rifle.
Old November 28, 2006, 10:10 PM   #18
TBT

No. But then again I got into guns with the intention of self defense including carrying it on my person. I can't get into the "too small gun club". Tiny 357's and 9s. Meh. I have to be comfortable with the gun and enjoy shooting it and I can't get that from a tiny gun.

As a general rule I feel that a 4" barrel with moderate weight and height is the best of both worlds. A commander sized 1911 or the Glock 19. I like to shoot what I carry a lot so every gun has to have a dual role for me. My carry gun goes to the range every time.

I can't think of a reason to go smaller than a commander/G19. They disappear on you and are as comfy as one could expect in the right holster. No reason to sacrifice functionality.
Old November 29, 2006, 02:16 AM   #19
Hook686

In California, only 3 handguns can be on the Concealed Carry list. I hunt and fish in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and conceal carry either my .357 magnum, or .44 magnum on those outings. That takes up 2 of the 3 spots. That leaves me 1 smaller sized handgun, for urban carry, a compact 9mm.

So no, I have not noticed a major shift in gun buying habits, since I got my CCW. I'm still focused on larger sized firearms ... I already have my 1 smaller sized. I don't think I need more than that. I practice a lot with it, as it is the only small one I can legally carry.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 29, 2006, 02:43 PM   #20
Duxman

Yes.....

It has changed my tastes somewhat. But more because I switch out for winter and summer carry, and I have different guns for competitive shooting.

In the end - the lesson I learned was: The more "fun" guns to shoot are hard to CC. The easy guns to CC, are hard to shoot.

Gun thickness is almost as important as gun overall length. (When it comes to choosing CC).

So I classify my CC guns into 3 categories:

Winter coat / jacket: P99
IWB - Kahr K9, SW4013
Pocket carry: Mak, Kahr K9, PX-22
Old December 1, 2006, 06:58 PM   #21
Nanuk

Nope, I've been an LEO for almost 30 years. I carry big bore snubbies ( 44 mag) and my duty gun, which is an H&K USP/C 40 S&W. I also have a 360PD (357) that I carry with whatever else I carry. Dress around the gun. I always think " Is this the gun I want in a gunfight" when deciding on what to carry. i just dont want to carry something that my hands don't fit. Small revolvers fit better than small autos, and my ScTi 357 is more powerful than any small auto. I carry my little 357 appendix strong side and primary in a shoulder holster. Depending on the situation the back-up may become the primary ie; get caught in condition white and need to draw fast.
Old December 1, 2006, 07:14 PM   #22
Nagano21

Love my 637, so many different ways to carry it too, great all around CCW
Old December 3, 2006, 01:06 PM   #23
22-rimfire

I like to think I'm a well rounded guy, but frankly, I'm heavy on the revolver side. You only need so many carry guns; then you revert to your normal self.
Old December 4, 2006, 03:14 PM   #24
Ken - Oh

No real change

Long before CCW was allowed here in Ohio, I bought a pretty broad selection of handguns, from small to large. So when I got the CCW in spring, I didn't have to buy anything and I've tried several different guns.

I don't really like to carry a .32 or .380. So my carry guns have either been a Kimber Compact, or a Sig 228 or 226. Occasionally I will carry a 5 shot 3" Taurus 357....that's my "small" gun. It conceals easily but I don't have a good IWB holster for it.

Actually, I find the 1911's the easiest to carry, especially the Kimber Compact. They seem to conceal the easiest. But I think I'm getting away from the 1911 since I don't really trust myself to flip off the safety if I ever really need it.

I thought maybe I'd want a Sig 239 for CCW but when I finally found one, I didn't like the feel as well as the larger Sigs.

Actually, the only new gun we have bought since we got our CCWs was a LadySmith for my wife.

Ken
Old December 4, 2006, 03:43 PM   #25
pap1105

ccw change

now that i am retired from police duty i am allowed to carry any weapon without violating dept. policy . my present carry weapons are s&w light weight snubbie and suprise also a keltec p32. i miss my glock but love the ease of light carry