The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 22, 2002, 06:57 PM   #1
jjmorgan64

Ruger No 1

Just thinking well ahead of my wallet here, how accurate are these? I am thinking of a 338 win mag as an elk rifle

What is your opinion of the guns abilites?
Thanks again

JM
Old February 22, 2002, 07:12 PM   #2
EzraRiley

They are beautiful rifles, well-made, and very accurate. The .338 will serve as a good long-distance elk rifle but in a single-shot it would not be my first choice in the brush. The Ruger No. 1 fans are very devoted people and the rifle has a remarkable history, but I have read some recent tests that show the New England Firearms single-shots are just as accurate and just as strong. True, they are not as pretty, but they are also about half the price, or in some cases, less than half.
Ezra 3:11
Old February 22, 2002, 07:36 PM   #3
Commander Fan

There's lots of information on the SINGLE-SHOT board at talk.shooters.com.

I'm currently down to two No.1s. Both are the RSI International models with the Manlicher stocks. One in .243 and one in 7X57.

I guess I have been waiting and hoping for a few more stainless models to be released. I actually ordered the stainless .375 H&H Tropical, bought a 'crapload' of ammo, then had to cancel the order at the last minute. Leaving me with a few $35 boxes of ammo and no gun. I will probably try again this year.

I had planned on using it in tight quarters, where you are surounded by posted land, and retrieval is nearly impossible(fueding neighbors). Most of my hunting is done with a Ruger 77 bolt in .243 or an AR is 6X45. I thought the .375 would be good insurance. There are a lot of whitetail hunters at shooters.com(above url) that swear by these larger calibers.

Anyway, Good Luck.
Old February 22, 2002, 07:43 PM   #4
HankL

JM, I only have one #1 and it is in 45-70 Govt. The first handload that I came up with grouped around 1 3/4" at a 100 yds. I was shooting from a bench and the rifle is scoped. This rifle was new this hunting season and I only took it out once. Once was enough to put some meat on the table with that same load. The deer was only 40 or so yards away but running through fairly heavy woods wide a~~ed open but I managed to place the shot very close to where I wanted it.
Out of the box, great handling and close range hunting accuracy is what I can personally attest to. OTOH a buddy of mine had a
#1 with a heavy barrel that I have no idea what tricks had been done on that would print 5/8" groups at 100 yds. This was in the 70's and I think the rifle was in 30-06.
Remember that these are small handy rifles with 22" or so barrels.
If you are thinking shooting elk across the medow or valley I would go elsewhere, if you are thinking stalking and walking you have a great idea.
Old February 22, 2002, 08:06 PM   #5
jjmorgan64

my real debate

is between the no 1 in 338 or a browning BLR in 30-06
wouldn't be shooting anything over 300 yards
(I really want a win 1895 in 30-06, but don't have the heart to scope one)

JM
Old February 23, 2002, 09:58 AM   #6
retiredsgt

JJ: I bought a used No. 1 several years back. It is in 6mm. Using Sierra 85gr. HPBT's, I manage a 1" group at 100 yds. I am about to work up a load using the Sierra's new 55 gr. bullets(varmint).Check the new Ruger catalogs. The No.1's are available in 22 to 26" barrels, depending on the calibre and model. Ain't nothing wrong with a No.1.
Old February 23, 2002, 10:35 AM   #7
huntsman

ooh that .375H&H -1H is MY dream rifle, CF sorry it didn't work out. I just need to choose between the stainless or blued,either way I think it'll make a crackerjack deer rifle
Old February 24, 2002, 10:41 AM   #8
EzraRiley

Now you throw a BLR into the mix. They, too, are great rifles though the throw of the 30-06 is a bit long for some of us with small hands. That is why I bought the BLR in .308. This is a wonderful little brush gun. But, again, the problem with elk hunting is do you go for the ultimate brush rifle or go for the accurate blaster than shoot across a 400 yard park? Or do you try to find a compromise? I like hunting elk in brush so for years I used the BLR in .308. Then I was given a Marlin Guide Gun which is far more powerful in the brush but has severe limitations for distance. Playing with different ammo, I did manage to come up with a confident round for killing elk out to 250 yards, but that same round shoots 10 inches high in the brush. The choice between a Ruger No. 1 in .338 and a BLR in 30-06 is very difficult but the fact is you will love either one. I do think the long action of the BLR in 30-06 is better suited for taller guys with long arms and big hands. But then, if you hands are too big you may have trouble getting a gloved hand in the lever loop.
Ezra 3:11
Old February 25, 2002, 06:58 PM   #9
Charlie Lima

As the saying goes " even monkeys fall from trees". I have a work partner that hunts & fishes from the northern Rockies to Alaska.
He told me a tale of a #1 in .338 that would never shoot much under 1.75 MOA. 'course if you never shoot over 100 yds or so wont matter much. My own experience with a#1 in .257 Roberts. It was the most inaccurate rifle I ever bought. It took some rebedding tinkering, lots of JB's bore paste ,& finally fire lapping the bore to get it to shoot half way decent ( 1 moa with some loads).
For what it is worth, I have a M96 Swede 6.5x55 that I bought as a barreled action cut & recrowned the barrel, stocked & bedded the action that shoots as as good or better.
I have heard that Ruger has a better source of barrels than before but cannot back that up with facts.