The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2005, 10:08 PM   #26
tintcutter

870 wingmaster
Old March 2, 2005, 12:15 AM   #27
yaotlone

mossy 500 first,,then 870,,pride thing
Old March 2, 2005, 12:47 AM   #28
enfwago

Mossberg 500
Old March 3, 2005, 04:08 PM   #29
artsmom

9mm Mike, the top tang safety is not a myth. You might be able to easily and quickly use the dreaded crossbolt safety, but that would be in spite of its location, not because of it.
The thumb is wider, stronger, and more independent of the other digits on the hand, making it the natural choice for safety duty.

The top tang safety can be cleared with a sweeping motion, whereas the crossbolt safety must be searched out (find the triggerguard, and go forwards or backwards from there.)

I will be the first to admit that I might be prejudiced because I am a lefty, and suffered the ignomity of having to hook my finger over and around the trigger guard on righthanded guns. But even on guns where the crossbolt can be reversed, (My Model 12) these type safeties always felt clumsy. I just feel that trigger fingers are for triggers, and the thumb is for the safety, and I will never forgive Ruger for screwing up their Model 77 rifle with that ridiculous wing safety, but that is for the rifle section.
Old March 3, 2005, 09:09 PM   #30
gordo b.

Well to answer your question to the letter: MY all around pump gun is a Model 31 Remington 12 ga 2/34" with a 26" overall ribbed barrel including the poly choke. MUCH smoother than ANY other pump, 5 shots, take down instantly and built like a cross between a Rolex and a bank Vault. It weighs 7.75 pounds with a LOP of 13 1/2". Allthough I have many shotties for every purpose,if I have to go some where and just may need a shotgun, this one goes with me!