The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 1, 1999, 03:59 PM   #1
JMB

I've recently become very interested in long guns. I've been shooting handguns for about 4 1/2 years now, and will be buying an AR15 later this week. Now, I'm looking at rounding out my collection with a good shotgun. Here's the deal though. I'm a only 5'6" and on top of that, I have a physical disability. I've found, from trying them out in the gunshop, that pump actions are out of the question, and I'm guessing that the 12 gauge is too (due to excessive recoil). What I'm looking at is the Remington 1100 20 gauge Youth Synthetic model. Does anyone have any experience with that model? Or would a semi-auto 12 gauge like a Benelli or Beretta with a shortened stock be a viable choice. For me, light weight is more important than recoil as that can be managed with practice and sound technique, right? Or will the 12 gauge indeed be too much for me. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old September 1, 1999, 04:54 PM   #2
Nestor Rivera

Have no experince with remmington ( but they have a well erned rep.) My auto is a Browning Sweet 16 and it works quite well. you might look into a 16ga over 20ga as an option instead of a 12ga.

As a low cost alternative look at a Siaga .410 clip fed shot gun it's a AK-47 shot gun
5 rnd clips
Old September 4, 1999, 05:04 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I"m always asking: Whatcha gonna do with the shottygun? Defense; deer-hunting, bird-hunting? If primarily birds, ducks/geese, or dove/quail?

A very lightweight 20 will kick as much as a heavy 12, but most folks never notice recoil when shooting at game, and certainly not in self defense. You mostly notice recoil in, say, skeet shooting.

For in-the-house defense, a 20-gauge load of #9 skeet is as good as anything, and I'm assuming you'll develop the appropriate skills...

For dove and quail, personal skill is more important than gauge. A 20 will do just fine.

For ducks and geese, the ranges tend to be longer, larger shot are used, and by and large a 12 is better than a 20...

FWIW, Art
Old September 4, 1999, 10:32 PM   #4
JMB

D'oh! Sorry. I forot to mention that the shotgun would only be used in a self-defense role.