The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 19, 2014, 09:19 PM   #1
old fart

UPDATE on the rust issue

a few months ago i bought a blued 4inch ruger police service six 357 heavy barrel, it has about 90-95% bluing left. the minor bluing wear at barrel tip and cylinder didn't bother me, it did have a few minor frecks of rust on the cylinder that i worried about. the help i got here got all the little specks down smooth and with the gun locking up tight and accurate beyond anything i could hope for i have decided i would rather keep it than sell it and put more money with that to buy a new stainless ruger as there is no way even a new gun could function as good as this one. so yesterday a friend of mine was going to northern ky and he said there were several gun smiths up there, that he would take it with him and show them and let a pro tell me how silly i have been. i thought yea right they will want to refinish it and charge a arm and a leg. well i feel so stupid now that i got my revolver back and a note from 2 gunsmiths that said most of the spots were not rust, they said they see it in blued guns from time to time the bluing just gets little tiny dark spots in it. said h&r revolvers were bad to get them but that the spots were not rust and no worries. all the other small area's i was told were taken care of and to keep them oiled and they would be fine and i could pass the gun to my grand kids, one shop even offered to buy it for $350 as he collects rugers. thanks to everyone here for the help on removing the little rust i had, never owned a used gun before so i never had to deal with it. won't be refinishing it as then i'll worry about the first scratch as i got this as a carry gun for the woods. thanks again