The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 24, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Psychbiker

Spikes 18" SPR for 3 gun?

Well I recently got hosed on a different online classifieds where I was gonna buy a complete 18" AR and now need to find a complete upper to go with my lonely lower.

I want to get into 3 gun. I'm not sure how much I'll do but I'll at least do one.

That being said, how are 18" SPR uppers for 3 gun?

Specifically I'm looking at an 18" Spike Upper. I can get it for around $725 shipped.

Here is the link. Do you think this is too heavy for 3 gun? The barrels are 38oz. I've heard some having it fluted to take out weight.

http://www.dallasshootingsupplies.com/products/Spike's-Tactical-18%22-SPR-Upper.html

Quote:
Product Description
Spike's Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, T-markings, our logo and M4 feed ramps.
Lothar Walther Barrel, LW-50 Stainless, M4 barrel extention, Polygon Rifling, .223 Wylde Chamber, 1:8 Twist, Natural Stainless finish (shown) or black Ionbond.
Proprietary Contour with Mid-length gas system.
The M16 carriers are Chrome lined with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish.
Forged Mil-Spec carrier key, Chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked.
MP tested bolt, Each extractor is fitted with a Mil-Spec black insert and Mil-Spec Viton o-ring.
Low Profile Gas block.
Daniel Defense 12.0 Lite Rail.
Forged Mil-Spec charging handle.
A2 Flash Hider.
Each upper comes with an ST-T2 buffer.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:30 AM   #2
lmccrock

A Wylde chamber on a 1:8 twist 18" barrel are good choices for 3-gun.

The main thing about that upper is mid-length gas, which will make the gas impulse a little more severe. 18" can use rifle-length gas system. Also, it has an A2 flash hider which you will want to replace with some kind of brake. Last, the rails will get in the way and will need covers so they do not get caught on barricades or other props, so the money is wasted on the DD foreend.

Other than that $725 is a deal considering the ad you linked is over $1000.

ETA: If you have any 3-gun suitable rifle, go shoot a match. An AR, Mini-14, whatever. It does not need to be perfect. If you are going to buy a dedicated upper go ahead and do it right but do not let the lack of "perfect" to get into it.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Psychbiker

Thanks for the info.

I was reading how heavy or medium profile barrels may be too heavy. I got a reply from Lothar and the barrels are 740 before the gas block and 850 after. I could also have it lathed down to cut weight.

I found a different upper with a DPMS 18" ss 1/8 barrel with rifle gas, yankee hill 5009 free float, flash hider, lo pro gas block. I like the idea of a rifle gas upper too. BCG and charging handle. I could always add a small rail to the button instead of having all the rails add weight and grabbing on everything. This one is only $625 minus $20 shipping.

Old September 25, 2012, 10:42 AM   #4
MtnCreek

I have an 18" WOA SPR barrel with a PRI rifle length tube. The barrel is about 42oz and it's too heavy for quick transitions from target to target. It's a little heavier than the Spikes you listed, but maybe that'll give you some useful info.

Have you checked out JP?
Old September 26, 2012, 12:46 AM   #5
Psychbiker

I've checked out JP but trying to stay under $800 complete. I can easily build a nice one for around $900 and that includes getting the barrel lathed down to 700 before the gas block.

PKfirearms has some 18" rifle gas kits with yankee hill machine free floats with minimal rails for under $700. Figure that would be fine as I don't need a porsche for my first race right? The barrels are heavy but again, any machine shop can lathe that down for me.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:00 AM   #6
hulley

Check out the Stag Arms 3gun upper. I dont remember the cost exactly but I believe its under $800, 18" FF tube with a compensator, no irons though.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:39 PM   #7
LSnSC

Build your own and get exactly what you want.

Nordic Components sells a really good 3 gun barrel. I just built a Limited 3 gun upper using one. 18" . 223 Wylde chamber, rifle gas with a 1-8 twist, 2 pounds 6 ounces, $269. I put their Corvette comp on it as well.

You dont need any rails for 3 gun. Just something rigid to hold onto. I like JP's free float tubes.

Last edited by LSnSC; October 1, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Jesse Tischauser

Stag 3G Upper, Loki Weapon Systems 3G Upper or have them custom build what you want, last but definitely not least Nordic Components will put you together a sweet upper as well.