The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

Spencer stock...

Here's a good one...

I need a complete new stock for a Spencer Repeating Arms pump shotgun.

I know that his is a needle in a haystack, but perhaps someone, somewhere has made one, and might still have a pattern or an extra one that they have either had made, or know of someone that had made an extra one or have a pattern.

Otherwise, I've no alternative but to start on one myself.
Old June 19, 2009, 06:14 PM   #2
thallub

Congrats on owning a Spencer shotgun. I believe that you will have to make a stock for your Spencer. I could not find a stock for mine when it was bought 40 years ago. My wood working uncle made a stock for it.

BTW: The Spencer was the very first successful pump shotgun.

The stock on this gun is not an original. Note the filler material where it fits the receiver.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...?topic=20116.0

Last edited by thallub; June 19, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old June 19, 2009, 06:49 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Good luck. I have never even tried to make a stock for a Spencer, but people who have made stocks from scratch tell me a couple of things to do.

First, study the action and the way the stock fits it. Then, after you are sure you know exactly how it fits, study it again.

Second, make sure you study the action to see, if possible, how the original stock fitted and where it cleared parts of the mechanism. It is very frustrating to finish the stock, put it on and find that the safety doesn't work or the hammer won't cock. Use all the woodworker's tricks, like smoke, carbon paper and lipstick to find and remove high points.

Third, concentrate on the stock to receiver interface, but don't ignore the rest of the stock. A stock with an eight inch drop at heel won't work very well, no matter how well it interfaces with the receiver.

Again, GOOD LUCK!

Jim