The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2000, 04:20 PM   #1
Hard Ball

Does anyone have any recommendations on sealing reloaded ammujtion for long term storage? I did this a long time ago sealing the primers with a marine type varnish recommended in an article in the American Rifleman. This worked well but was slow and a bit messy. Does anyone know a beter way to do it?
Old February 16, 2000, 04:58 PM   #2
LOCHFAL

I've never needed to put sealer on the cartridges myself. I just throw them all in an ammo can with a good seal and some dessicant. Never had a problem and I've stored some stuff for more than 8 years that way. Putting sealer on the mouth of the case or over the primer should not be necessary if you are not going to leave your ammo exposed to the elements. Good Luck
LOCHFAL
Old February 17, 2000, 10:09 PM   #3
Banzai

You can seal your primers and around the bullet where it meets the case with clear nail polish. This is pretty much the same as the George&Roy's Custom Primer Sealant available from Cabela's. Both work just as well, but use SPARINGLY! (Trust me on this one)
Then, seal them in whatever box you choose, and seal in quality plastic bags. Finally, secure in an airtight metal box, like the military ammo cans, with some dessicant. Works real good!!!

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
Old February 17, 2000, 10:09 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Never seen the need. Got some from ~30 years ago & they still shoot fine.

Usually throw 'em into ammo cans & close the lid or into plastic ammo boxes & ditto with lid.

Store 'em in a cool, dry place & they'll last longer than you do.

One mention on this. I had a water heater go south once & flooded into my reloading room enough. Was a heads up for me. Stuff that can get trashed by similar gets the "up on 2X4s" treatment. Got a wooden ammo box that holds a bunch, sits in the load room closet up on the 2X4s.
Old February 18, 2000, 10:26 AM   #5
Peter M. Eick

Thanks for the comment about the water heater. I keep all of my reloads in plastic boxxes on the floor. Never really thought about the flood problem.

------------------
P229 Sport and 357 SIG, Perfection!
Old February 19, 2000, 09:18 AM   #6
Patrick Graham

I've used both nail polish and George & Roys. There seems to be some difference. The nail polish around the primers would sometimes come off after the round was fired, leaving a small ring of nail polish in the action.

Old February 19, 2000, 09:45 AM   #7
tonyz

I have had good luck with Goerge and roys.
Cost is low and seals out the moisture that might get in here in the great NW.

Old February 20, 2000, 01:05 AM   #8
Walt Welch

While I don't have any problem with those who would seal their ammo in water proof cans with a dessicant, it is probably not necessary.

I recently shot some .38 Spl. loads I reloaded in 1964. They had cast bullets that I had sized and lubed with Alox-2138F. All the cartridges fired and grouped well.

What I would do, if I were storing unplated brass cases for a while is to put some sort of VCI, either the powder or the impregnated tabs you can get from Brownells, into the water proof box along with the dessicant. This will prevent tarnishing of the brass.

Walt
Old February 21, 2000, 08:50 AM   #9
Airborne

As far as sealing primers goes, I use a fine point permanent ink marker like a "Sharpie".

The ink flows to seal the primer, and leaves no residue in the action of the gun. Best of all, they come in about 8 different colors so color coding my loaded rounds is easy.

After I put the rounds in a plastic box, I just whip through them with the pen. Then I put a mark on the load label with the same color pen to link them together.

It's a great idea that someone (can't remember who?) posted on this board not to long ago that I now use all the time. Thanks!
Best regards,
SM