The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 7, 2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Mystro

The S&W Bodyguard 380 has full size service gun accuracy in a pocket pistol!!

I have to say i have been looking for the perfect pocket pistol for a long time. The Bodyguard looked awesome with its first release but I waited for S&W to work the bugs out and wasn't in any particular hurry. Two years later and the BG380 was still the standout in its class of guns. I picked up one today and put 150 rounds through it.

Ammo choices were slim these days but I did find some PMC and Sellier Bellot. Both were extremely accurate, I mean tack drivers! I was lucky to find any 380acp. The gun was very reliable and spit the cases out in one neat little pile on the ground. No break-in issues of any kind. Recoil was not even worth mentioning. I generally limit myself to a 9mm as my minimum caliber but with the advancement in high performance bullets and the manufacturers are all using them in the 380acp, I feel the Bodyguard is a Pit bull for its size and weight. Sometimes the right caliber in the right gun is a perfect marriage and that is the case with the Bodyguard 380. Super thin, light, accurate and comfortable to shoot in one package. It makes a Glock 27 feel too heavy and too big to ever pocket carry again.

I am a experienced tactical hand-gunner and handgun hunter so the heavy DAO trigger was no issue to get outstanding accuracy. It is heavy but breaks crisp and clean. It has a very unique feel that makes it very easy to stage the trigger almost like you would with a DA revolver. Once you got the feel of staging the trigger, you can take head shots all day long. If you are new to guns, this trigger might just seem heavy but old school revolver guys will love this trigger. I have seen similar accuracy claims so the trigger will perform if you learn the gun and it took me about 2 magazines to do that. A DAO is what I want in a pocket gun. Its just added insurance. The safety is also a nice option when the gun is loose in a pocket. The DAO trigger doesn't need to have the safety engaged for normal safe carry but I like the option. I did have to fine tune the laser for pinpoint accuracy but I was pleased with both the iron sights and laser accuracy. I get why S&W is using these sights, a tritium front sight would snag on your pocket. Painting the front sight is what we always did pre tritium sight days and I don't see it being any different with the BG380.

With very little effort, I could get accuracy bettering some full size service sidearms. The one target, I just used the iron sights and the other i just used the laser as I was tweaking it for accuracy.

I was able to put 6 shots in the size of a quarter at 10 yards when the laser was sighted in.

This will make a perfect hot weather pistol or just when I don't want to carry one of my bigger sidearms. There is no reason with this accuracy, the Bodyguard 380 couldn't be your only or main CCW especially with the high performance ammo now in 380acp. Number one rule in a gunfight is to bring a gun and you would be well served to have the BG380. My LGS let's me try about anything they have and I really didn't find any of the other pocket guns to be in the same league as the BD380. People tend to cheap out on their pocket guns and it should be just the opposite. Little guns need excellent engineering and S&W set the bar with this gun. The BG380 feels like a $500 gun and the fact that S&W lowered it to $400.00 for a laser integrated gun makes it a bargain in my book. I live in the mountains so this little gem will ride along with me as a light weight trail gun on ATV rides or scouting deer. Now to locate some high quality defense rounds like Gold Dots or PDX1.....

These holster fit the BG380 perfectly. The IWB is for shorts or sweatpants. The gun is light enough you dont need a belt.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old May 7, 2013, 05:53 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Re: The S&W Bodyguard 380 has full size service gun accuracy in a pocket pistol!!

I rented both the Sig P238 and S&W Bodyguard .380 at the same time and made the mistake of shooting the Sig first.

That gun is the most accurate and soft shooting "mouse gun" that I have ever fired. Going from that nice 1911 style trigger to the Bodyguard took a couple mags to get used to, but after I did I shot it fairly well. It is a good little piece, but after shooting the Sig it would be hard for me to go back for the BG (or anything else for that matter) in the pocket gun category.

I will say.... I did not get near the groups that you did at 10 yards with it
Old May 7, 2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Mystro

I am a hardcore Sig Fan and own many but the size and thinness of the BG380 got the nod plus I wanted a DAO because there are times I carry it loose in a pocket. I have so many nice full size handguns that I had to stay disaplined and find a pocket pistol the size of my wallet. 11oz with a integrated laser brings ALOT to the table. I am talking sweatpants and swim short gun for the summer. I am afraid i may get spoiled and when I go back to my P229 Dark Elite or 1911 Super Cary Pro, they may feel like a boat anchor.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old May 7, 2013, 06:06 PM   #4
spacecoast

Have either of you shot the Kahr P380? I got one a couple of months ago and it's a dream to shoot compared to my LCP, a bit shorter too (5/16") as well as 3/16" taller. It feels and shoots like a big gun in a very small package.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
allaroundhunter

Re: The S&W Bodyguard 380 has full size service gun accuracy in a pocket pistol!!

The Sig most definitely does not have anything on the BG in terms of weight. The light BG gives you several more options of carry that can be much more convenient.... And yes, that DAO trigger is much better for Pocket carry if you don't have a holster.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Mystro

I handled one and it was very nice but the BG380 with the adjustable intergrated laser and adjustable full sights in a pocket pistol won me over. I will say i have fine tuned my laser to stupid accuracy. I sat back in my lawn chair on my range today and literally picked off black flys from 10yards as the landed on my white target. It also gives a level of intimidation on a small pocket pistol that may deescilate a situation if used in the right scenario. ALOT of stupid thugs see a laser and knows what that means. Thank you Hollywood action movies.

Pocket pistols have come a long way in quality over the last 5 years. The quality by the main players in the field are light years from what pocket pistols use to represent. I remember not so long ago that a pocket pistol were all crap and unreliable and brought bad memories of Jennings and Davis.

Last edited by Mystro; May 7, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:17 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

I like lasers as well, my Glock 19 carry gun has one
Old May 7, 2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Mystro

I just noticed I posted this on the revolver side of life and not the Semi Auto......
Moderator you may move the OP if it doesnt bring the right content to the forum.