The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2008, 07:29 PM   #1
DaveInPA

I think I'd like to start reloading. Where to begin?

I think I'd like to start reloading my own rounds. I shoot a fair amount, so the savings would certainly add up. Plus being able to play around with different loads would be nice.

For those of you that reload. . .where do I begin? What do I need to get started? Where do I learn how to reload properly?

I'd like to reload .40, 9mm, and .45 ACP

Thanks
Old January 21, 2008, 07:32 PM   #2
hoytinak

Look in the reloading section here on TFL. Check out the "Stickys"...that helped me out alot.

Edit: seen you just posted there too
Old January 21, 2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Adventurer 2

Your PA Cabela's would be a great place to learn - they offer reloading classes at a more than reasonable price. Do some reading before class and bring all of your questions with you.
Old January 21, 2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Adventurer 2

Check out January 30th.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...etail_dropdown
Old January 21, 2008, 08:44 PM   #5
.38Catt

Great question.

You beat me to it!
Old January 21, 2008, 09:38 PM   #6
DaveInPA

Damn I'll be at work that day! That Cabela's is actually about 30 minutes from here. It's also where I got my latest firearm this past weekend, as a matter of fact

And bonus! The tag said $419, but when the nice lady rung me up, it came up on the register as $379. So of course I went and grabbed $40 worth of extra ammo. *sigh*
Old January 21, 2008, 10:03 PM   #7
Majic

Get several reloading manuals and read from cover to cover.
Old January 22, 2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Sevens

Just worth noting that even though reloading is often billed as (or thought of as) a way to save money or spend less on ammo, it doesn't really work out that way. There's a big investment in tools, a huge investment in time, and a pretty big cash outlay just for the components. (by components, I mean brass, powder, bullets and primers)

It's a large investment. You'll spend at least as much as a nice new handgun, likely more, just getting rolling.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it (I love it!), but I want to point out the realities. Once you start reloading, you'll find that you spend more, but you also shoot a whole lot more.

If you go in to it with the mindset that you'll save money, you'll be very disappointed. It takes a long time before you realize actual savings. It's more of an investment than a savings.

For me, it's two things: It's a smarter way to spend my money, and it's a hobby. I look at the expenditures as more equipment that I will use for a lifetime or longer. And I really, really enjoy handcrafting ammo and feeding all my guns ammo that I built. Reloading is a way for me to enjoy "shooting" on all the days where I can't get to the range. Heck, reading and posting on this forum is something I do when I don't have a spare hour or two to get to the reloading bench!

Read the sticky topics in this forum. Check current threads regarding new folks asking for tips in equipment buying. Exercise the search engine for specifics, and after you've done all that, ask specific questions right here in this thread, or any other thread that's on-topic. There's plenty of folks who enjoy offering a little help.

(one last note: There could be a problem reloading .40 S&W if your pistol is a Glock, or another with weak chamber support. This seems to be a big topic of discussion these days, so do check that out)
Old January 22, 2008, 02:29 PM   #9
farnorthdan

just started myself

I just started reloading myself around Christmas time. I love it!! For me it is defenately more of a hobby. Where I live the winters are very long and dark and its very easy to go stir crazy if you don't have a hobby or two. I purchased the RCBS rock chucker start up kit which includes most things needed to get started. Get some good reloading books and read them. Then start slow and ask allot of questions, its very rewarding.
Old January 22, 2008, 02:38 PM   #10
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
If you go in to it with the mindset that you'll save money, you'll be very disappointed. It takes a long time before you realize actual savings. It's more of an investment than a savings.
You know? I was about to argue with you, then UPS knocked on my door. I opened up the boxes from Midway and looked at my bill. . . .

Honestly, though, I think it comes down to HOW FAR do you wanna go in reloading?

When I first began over twenty years ago, I was a starving federal agent who'd been bit by the IPSC bug. You need LOTS of ammo to play that game. I bought a basic Lee Pro1000, a scale and dies for 38 Spcl (I was a wheelgun shooter) and 9mm. I'd been saving my brass for years, so THAT major expense was already done.

Some primers, pound of W231 and good lead bullets and I was on my way.

My reloading paid for itself within three months due to the volume I was shooting.

Quote:
For me, it's two things: It's a smarter way to spend my money, and it's a hobby. I look at the expenditures as more equipment that I will use for a lifetime or longer. And I really, really enjoy handcrafting ammo and feeding all my guns ammo that I built. Reloading is a way for me to enjoy "shooting" on all the days where I can't get to the range. Heck, reading and posting on this forum is something I do when I don't have a spare hour or two to get to the reloading bench!
And this, like you, is where I'm at today.

My wife thinks that I enjoy reloading more than I enjoy shooting.

She may be right.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old January 22, 2008, 04:09 PM   #11
caleb

I just started and have completed about 500 rounds of .45ACP. I got the Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit and the Lee Carbide 4 Die 45ACP, some powder and primers and had at it. The kit comes with the Speer Manual and some say get the Lyman Edition 48 Reloading Book. The Reloading Forum is full of great and helpful folks. I've posted all my questions and read about every post for a few weeks prior to getting set up. http://www.reloadbench.com/. Just really get started it comes pretty easy with the kit and the helpful folks and the reload bench. C
Old January 23, 2008, 11:48 AM   #12
indiansummer

Check this website out for a little overview. Read each section. The free targets are nice too.
Definitely buy a good manual.
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....reloading.html
Old January 23, 2008, 03:40 PM   #13
zebulonsmith

Fellow Reloading Newbie

As someone just starting out, I can relate to what several folks are saying here. When I first started, I was advised to wait for someone to get rid of some used equipment instead of buying new. That turned out to be darn good advice. It seems that there's no shortage of people who start reloading and never follow through with it. I snagged a basic lee press, about 6 sets of dies, a bullet puller and a mess of partially used up components for about $150.

For me, the biggest initial expense has been purchasing the dies I needed. Of everything in the lot, I only shot two of the calibers I got dies for. I've spent almost as much on dies and case trimming guages as I did on the initial purchase.

By my calculations though, I'm spending .10 to .15 per round in lead, powder and primers. Eventually it will pay off, that or you'll shoot more to make up for it.
Old January 23, 2008, 04:29 PM   #14
CraigC

I waited far too long and finally got into it about 7yrs ago. I just bought an RCBS Turret Press kit and a set of .44Mag carbide dies. I already had plenty of brass so all I needed was powder, primers and bullets. The turret still requires you do to one step at a time but it saves a lot of time changing and adjusting dies. As others have suggested, get yourself several reloading manuals and start reading. It seems rather imposing at first but you will get the hang of it in no time. Just don't get in a hurry.

I disagree about money saved. If you do any amount of shooting you will immediately realize how much you're saving compared to factory ammo. I instantly noted that my sixgun loads were costing me about 75% or more less than I was paying for factory stuff. That adds up quickly. If you're saving $15-$20 per box of 50rds, that few hundred bucks worth of equipment pays for itself in no time. That savings doesn't usually end up in the bank though, you just shoot more.
Old January 23, 2008, 06:13 PM   #15
CrustyFN

That was a good post from Sevens. It will cost you some money to get into but how much or little depends on you. If you have any kind of volume you aren't going to want to reload on a single stage. The Lee classic turret will load at a rate of around 200 rounds per hour. If you think that will meet your needs you can get into that kit for around $200. If you need more volume then you will need to go progressive. That will cost you around $500 and up depending on the press and extras. I use the Lee classic turret and have had it for a year and a half. It took three months of loading 9mm to pay for the press. It has been a great press for me and meets my needs. I shoot IDPA, GSSF and center fire rifle competitions and it's nice when you want to go to the range and have a thousand custom rounds of ammo ready to go. I go in with some friends and buy everything in bulk to save money. You don't have to buy this way but this is how you save the most money. We get primers for $16 per thousand and powder for around $11 per pound. Brass is free, pick it up at the range. The larger calibers and rifle will save you even more. My plinking 223 loads cost me $73 per 1,000 rounds. I reload 9mm for around the same price. If I didn't save any money I would still reload. It is very relaxing for me and you will end up with much better ammo.
Rusty