The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2014, 02:53 AM   #1
hartcreek

Hornady Match Cases in .308

I just bought a bunch of range brass in .308. Some of it is Hornady Match Grade. The Hornady Match Grade .308 cases have a small crimp holding in the primer. One twist with a champher tool is all it takes to remove the crimp
Old July 2, 2014, 08:50 PM   #2
mnoirot64

I bought some new 308 Hornady Match Grade brass. It's very well made. The only complaint I have is that the primer pockets were incredibly tight. I ended up having to clean them all up in order to get the primers to seat.
Old July 3, 2014, 01:56 PM   #3
kerreckt

I just got done priming 1k of the .308 Hornady Match brass. I use a press mounted RCBS APS tool and had no problems.
Old July 9, 2014, 08:34 PM   #4
5R milspec

Be careful with range brass even the good Hornady stuff. What I have found is a big difference in the thickness of the necks. Now this want hurt a group at 100 even 200 maybe, but when you get past 300 even farther it gets bad. You might need to trim the necks if you want all you can from the brass and loads.
Old July 11, 2014, 10:49 PM   #5
reynolds357

If it is free, I would take it. For the price difference in Hornaday vs Norma/Lapua, there is really no comparison. The latter are vastly superior to Hornaday. Hornaday is not enough cheaper to justify me buying them. The only time I buy brass other than Norma/Lapua is if one of them do not make it and leave me no alternative. I bought 500 pieces of 6.5 Creedmoor brass from Hornaday. In my opinion, it is about as junky as the typical bags of Remington and Winchester brass. I definitely think Hornaday is being generous in calling it "match" brass. Possibly "match" after I turn the necks uniform the flash holes and primer pockets and anneal them a lot more than what Hornaday did or possibly did not do.

Tags
hornady match grade cases