The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 7, 2009, 12:50 PM   #1
younggun20

OC VS CCW story and Questions

I was at the store the other day (blue boutique) and as I was looking around i noticed a man OCing. I didnt pay much attention to it, But someone else did... as i was leaning over to grab something off the lower shelf the girl behind the counter nearly yells "Hey i can see your gun!" Immediately about 6 men and 2 women reach for different parts of their body confirming their SA was concealed. As we all looked around at eachother it was kind of funny to see a near room full people with their hand on their hip, purse, ankle, ETC. Made me feel very safe.

Which also makes me think. In 1 place in 1 part of town approximetly 10 people are carrying. Why is there still crime? Are people afraid to interfere with a robbery or such? Do they not feel a need? Do they not feel in danger and have the right to draw? i understand the rules and regulations behind drawing your weapon, but also i wonder if someone would have tried to rob that store right then would anyone have drawn?
Old May 7, 2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Enoy21

My guess is that most robberies occur when there are very few people there and less to interfere. There are exceptions to this rule obviously.

Mass shootings and active gunman is a different story.
Old May 7, 2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Keltyke

Quote:
Are people afraid to interfere with a robbery or such?
If you know the "rules", then you know we can only draw and fire if we feel we're in imminent danger of losing our life or sustaining severe bodily injury. Most states DO have a "third party defense" clause in the carry regulations, but I'd go real slow applying it. You must be DAMN sure of the circumstances. Is the scruffy guy in dirty jeans holding a man in a business suit a mugger or an undercover cop making an arrest? You see what I mean...

There's a fine line to walk when "interfering" in a robbery or other crime.
Old May 7, 2009, 04:58 PM   #4
doobie

We have regular open carry litter clean ups over in New Hampshire. We've had two this year. One had up to 28 people at it's peak. The other had 8-10. The cops were hovering around us when we had 28. It was entertaining. In my signature I started a blog for tracking my open carrying.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Mr. Davis

Unfortunately, I think you were either in a gun store, or it was random chance that so many CCWs were in one place. The last numbers I saw in Kentucky confirmed about 150k-170k CCW licenses are currently out there, with over 3 million people in the state. A large number of those (including me, right now) don't carry every day. I'm sure there's a similarly small minority that carry in other states.

Your story reminded me of this video, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt7FDTpzGvo
Old May 8, 2009, 02:02 PM   #6
markj

Quote:
Are people afraid to interfere with a robbery or such? Do they not feel a need?
Now now there, as I have said before, CCW does not mean you can shoot folks up. It is to be used only upon threat of life, least thats how it is in Iowa, just cant go round interfering with police work or you lose the ccw. Now if the robber points it at you or shoots someone there you may be OK shooting him.

Young gal in Omaha lost her life to a robber, she gave up the cash and he shot her anyway. I and you know that guy is scum and needs a lead pill but we need to remain within the legal aspect or we may lose the ability to carry.