The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2008, 06:22 PM   #1
kdog70

AR-10 Reloading

I am new to the board and reloading......
i purchased an Armalite 308 and after shooting a few hundred rounds through it and a few of those being SMK's off the shelf at 54 bucks a box i decided i am going to reload. i have been building a list of stuff that i will need eventually. Is there a difference between reloading for bolt guns and semi autos?
Old October 8, 2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Oberg

I have a DMPS .308 and it only works if I load the round hot.. I started low but it wouldn't cycle the next round and by the time I got the gun to function all the time the rounds where at the very high end of the pressure scale. It is alot harder... but on the other hand my ar-15 takes anything
Old October 9, 2008, 04:31 AM   #3
sourdough44

Yes there is more to deal with reloading for a semi-auto. Properly resized cases is the 1st biggie. Next is the proper working pressure for the action. Several reloading manuals have a special section on semi-auto reloading. I like the details listed in the Sierra #5 manual.

For powder choice I would start with H4895.
Old October 9, 2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Sevens

With a bolt gun or a single shot, there are many reloading advantages. One is that you only need enough power to get that bullet out of the tube, and you have pretty much the strongest platform of any rifle when you get toward the other end of your loads. Also, wear and tear on the brass is less since it's not being forcibly chucked in/out of the chamber (or at least, you can control how ham-fisted you want to get with them) whereas a semi-auto is knocking them around in every direction. Of course, with a semi, you've got to chase down your brass which gets flung from the rifle. Easier with a rifle than a pistol, but not one of life's great joys either way.

Semi-auto chambers tend to be a little looser to aid in feeding which will work the brass a little more as it has a little more space to expand. Because of this, neck-only sizing is not an option for semi-autos as it is for bolt guns and single shots. Neck only sizing saves wear and tear on the brass (and time and energy) when it comes to prepping the rounds for reloading.

Reloading for single shots gives you a wider range for bullet shape and lengths and such since there is no magazine limitations. Bolt guns an be fed singly if you use strange bullet sizes/shapes. No tolerance for that with semi-auto rifles.

So yeah, there are a lot of differences and disadvantages of reloading for semi-auto. Not enough to make anyone NOT reload for them, just helps to be aware of them.

Tags
308 , ar-10