The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 28, 2004, 12:24 PM   #1
atek3

Anyone make scratchproof Shooting Glasses?

every pair of shooting glasses i own has scratches where I need to look through to see my rear sight on my rifle. Anyone make lens that won't scratch?

atek3
Old September 28, 2004, 02:11 PM   #2
stever

No such thing as scratch proof. If you can make something scratch proof you will become a billionaire overnight and win a Nobel prize. Glass lenses are probably the most scratch resistant but they are the least impact resistant. What is required is proper care of the lenses. Rinse the lenses before wiping and use a soft lint free cloth to dry the lenses. Also do not place the glasses lens down.
Old September 28, 2004, 04:08 PM   #3
Dean C

There actually are "hard coat" coatings you can put on plastic. Google "hard coat" and see what shows. I specified one a couple months ago and as soon as I find the product I specified, I'll send you a link. It was a dipping process but I'm not sure how "hobby friendly" it is. We used it in an industrial application for large quantities of parts.
dean
Old September 30, 2004, 12:37 AM   #4
bdc

glasses

Not being funny. You buy welder's goggles. The replaceable inserts are under 3.00. No brass will ever get betwen the lens and your eye like with regular glasses. Go to Home Depot. Can vary darkness of lens so you can practice low light shooting.
Old October 2, 2004, 12:43 AM   #5
mikikanazawa

I bought a pair of Oakley Wire 2.0s with clear lenses at a gun show about a year ago. They've been struck numerous times by brass casings (and dropped a coupla times) and have no scratches that I can see.

The frames are titanium but aluminum is available. I imagine the lenses are either a hard polycarbonate, or have a hard coating on them, to prevent scratching. I paid $100 for the Ti version; retail is $255. If you see an Oakley dealer at a gun show, he's probably selling them against Oakley's pricing policy. Or maybe stolen merchandise. Or even fakes, so buyer beware.
Old October 4, 2004, 11:52 PM   #6
Archer1440

The best anti-scratch coating I have found is something called 'Crizal" which is pretty good stuff. Available on prescription polycarbonate lenses from one or two manufacturers and somewhat expensive.

I think Oakley Pro M frames are the best compromise- when you get a scratch, it's relatively cheap to replace the clear or persimmon lens. Prices go up and scratch resistance down with their Iridium lenses.
Old October 5, 2004, 06:23 AM   #7
4 Wheel Drive

I've been wearing a pair of Ray-Ban shooter glasses for somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 years. No scratches yet, and they get wiped off by whatever is handy-mostly the tail of a shirt. They are heavy, but they do work.
Old October 5, 2004, 09:17 AM   #8
johnbt

"Available on prescription polycarbonate lenses from one or two manufacturers and somewhat expensive."

It is very good stuff, better than anything I've tried in 40 years of wearing glasses, but it will scratch if you try hard enough. I've got one smack dead center in the middle of my right lens that's driving me crazy. Of course, the glasses are 4 years old and due for replacement, so I'm not complaining. After all, I dropped them on a rough concrete floor.

FWIW, the worst thing you can do to glasses is clean them regularly with paper towels or kleenex. They'll eventually frost the lenses with micro scratches.

John
Old October 5, 2004, 03:43 PM   #9
patent

I believe you can get goggles that have a plastic laminate that can go over the top of the lens. If it gets scratched, you just pull the laminate layer off (and usually put a new one on to prevent other scratches). I would think you could get some of this laminate stuff to put over whatever glasses you have, just cut it to fit. My palm pilot uses something similar to protect its screen.

Other goggles have replaceable lenses. I've not seen any glasses that do the same, but then I've never really needed this sort of thing so I haven't looked.

patent