The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2015, 08:12 PM   #26
FITASC

You might want to check how long your barrel will be to make sure it won't be too short for your use. (Measure twice, cut once sorta thing )
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 15, 2015, 08:16 PM   #27
SARuger

This is a nice gun. The more I look at it the more I want to either leave it as is or find a good mod choked barrel for it
Old April 16, 2015, 04:33 AM   #28
SARuger

One more question; This is an old gun but has a low round count. Should I replace the gas rings and O rings or just the O rings?
Old April 16, 2015, 06:21 AM   #29
eastbank

just the 0-ring, unless it has seen alot of rounds. i have never changed the gas rings in any of my 1100,s and some have seen heavy use. your 1100X will take a 1100 12ga #19 0-ring. the smaller framed 1100 20ga takes a #21 0-ring. eastbank.
Old April 16, 2015, 07:55 AM   #30
FITASC

And get the Viton ones (most hardware or auto supply houses have them) in lieu of neoprene.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 16, 2015, 08:33 AM   #31
SARuger

I work in facility that stocks about a million "O" rings. I will go to the supply room and pick some #19's up.

Thank you!
Old April 16, 2015, 05:40 PM   #32
Virginian

#21 is 12 gauge and #19 is 20 gauge lightweight. Its the size in millimeters. Make sure you get Viton or ones that are resistant to oil/solvents and heat. The el cheapos will dissolve. Neoprene isn't bad, but Buna is. I have one on one of my 1100s that has been there since 1967 or so. They do not move in service; they get torn by ham handed people during diassembly and re assembly.
Old April 16, 2015, 05:57 PM   #33
eastbank

op,s, you are right. 21 is for the 12ga 1100 and the 1100 20ga on the 12ga frame and 19 is for the later 20ga 1100 made on the smaller frame. sorry for the misinformation. eastbank.
Old April 16, 2015, 06:26 PM   #34
SARuger

I could only find buna locally but I ordered some from midway that are supposed to hold up better. The buna will get me shooting this weekend. Time for a real good cleaning. I have never seen a gun this dusty. Its going to shine like new money when I get done with it
Old April 18, 2015, 07:39 AM   #35
SARuger

Although this gun hasn't been used much it was very dirty. I doubt it had ever been cleaned other than the barrel. I took it apart in front of the original owner, a good friend of mine, and he had no idea how to tear a 1100 down. He never knew a shotgun could be broken down as quickly/easily as this Remy could be. It was gunked up bad!

He told me the story of the Cutts Compensator and who put it on for him. I knew the gunsmith that did the instal and he was known for good work.

Mr Greer(Greers Gun Shop, Boones Mill VA, now out of business) taught me how to repair guns and I volunteered time in his shop just to learn how to repair guns. His grandson and I were good friends and graduated together. He taught me how to run a lathe and a Bridgeport, strip stocks and blueing, re-blueing, and many more great experiences. I once took a .303 and "sporterized" it in his shop including turning the barrel down and re-blueing the metal and replacing the furniture with Fajen stocks

I think I will keep this choke/barrel on this gun in respect to a man that instilled a passion in me of tinkering with guns. I'm proud to own some of his work. Makes the gun priceless to me.
Old April 18, 2015, 07:46 AM   #36
SARuger

I just ordered the MCarbo spring for the trigger, I run them on my all my 870's and my 11-87 and really like the reduced pull.

Next step is to help the original owner find the rest of the Cutts chokes at his house. He thinks he has them. If not Corsons Barrels has them in stock but they are pricey, 60-80 each. I need three to complete the set
Old April 18, 2015, 08:35 AM   #37
SARuger

So after much searching I find that they only made 3 chokes for the 20 gauge Cutts, spreader, mod, full. But they had those in steel and alloy.

Why alloy?

My Cutts box has definitely had six chokes in it so I'm thinking he lost the alloy chokes somehow but managed to keep the steel chokes.

Also, which choke for skeet? I would guess mod but I have read spreader
Old April 18, 2015, 12:46 PM   #38
Virginian

I may be wrong, but I thought the Lyman tubes would fit the Cutt's system. And they made more than 3 sizes of those. I would watch those vents in the compensator body. I have never heard of one blowing, but I have seen pieces of shotcup petals hanging out of the vents. They were designed back in the days of fiber wads.
That nasty gun reminded me of when I went shooting clays at a company function with two guys from work. I had my 1100, and they had a Browning Gold and a Beretta Sporting. By station 7 both of theirs were jamming. We stepped aside and I tore them down and they both looked like they had been well lubricated with tar. Neither had ever broken them down to clean them. I borrowed a dirty rag and some WD-40 from a groundskeeper and gave them a quick once over, and they were fine the rest of the way. I may be wrong, but I think they are more typical of most casual shooters than many realize.
Old April 18, 2015, 05:29 PM   #39
Husqvarna

Quote:
As neat as this choke system is, its not complete. I need the other three chokes. If I had those I would keep it for sure.
do you really need all those chokes?

I shot trap and hunt with my modified and it works fine.

the cutts actually works great, great gun for beginners to shoot

I only swap choke when I shoot slugs, and I don't think I need to really
Old April 18, 2015, 06:12 PM   #40
FITASC

Normal SK chokes are .005, so the spreader might be decent enough. Again, as I mentioned in another thread, take the ammo you intend to use in that gun to a pattern plate and see what you get.
Nominal dimensions, the M would be a tad tight as skeet targets are shot at a distance of 21 +/- yards, and a M is usually good for 40 yards.
Old April 18, 2015, 08:37 PM   #41
SARuger

Lyman makes the Cutts system so could be.

I'm OCD and like complete things/full sets etc, I would like all of the available chokes. I have the steel ones, they made alloy as well.

I patterned this gun today at 25yds. With the mod choke I have a good spread, equal to or slightly better than my 11-87 with a skeet choke.

First impression is; I REALLY like this gun! Its smooth, almost no recoil and points well. I do not find the Cutts suppressor to get into my field of view at all. This gun will most likely replace my 11-87 as my skeet gun. It just looks nice too.
Old April 19, 2015, 07:40 AM   #42
Virginian

I remember that gun shop in Boone's Mill all those years ago. I drove down there from Blacksburg and bought a used .25-06 about 1972. Guy I talked to seemed to know his stuff.
Old April 19, 2015, 08:25 AM   #43
SARuger

I grew up less than a mile from Greers Gun Shop, the old man lived in the house behind the shop up on the hill. His daughter lives there now. His grandson and I are still friends. The shop closed in the late 80's or early 90's when Old Man Greer died.
Old April 19, 2015, 02:18 PM   #44
SARuger

My MCARBO spring kit came in yesterday, installed today. I plan on going to the skeet/trap range soon and run this gun to see what it can do. I might weight the butt stock some to balance out the Cutts. Other than that Its ready to go.