The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 23, 2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Gunshow in Hampton, Virginia

Yesterday and today.

Went when the thing first openned Saturday.

The Hampton show is bigger than the Virginia Beach or the Norfolk shows. I think 800 tables as opposed to 400 and 650. So there was a little better selection in Black Powder weapons.

There was a good representation of original revolvers. I never speak to the vendors about these revolvers since I don't collect originals. I have no knowledge about prices on the originals but at the show, prices are running from 675.00 for a Remington that approaches being shootable but has obviously been recently smoothed up externally, to 800.00 for an 1849 Colt which was in good condition minus a broken bolt spring but had serial numbers from two different revolvers. Then there was an excellent Remington all matching with cartouche for 2500.00 and an 1860 Colt for the same price.

Regarding more recent specimens, there were a Pietta Remington steel frame like new as well as an 1851 pattern with a twelve in barrel (brass frame) also excellent but both were priced higher than new revolvers. I was not interested in either of these pistols so I did not inquire as to final price.

Another gentleman had a G&G for 135.00 and an brass frame Remington also 135.00. These revolvers were essentially clunkers. Bad finish, weak spring on the G&G and very bad finish with surface rust on the Remington. These revolvers were only worth about 80.00 each. (IMO).

A local guy who frequents shows and essentially brings stuff from is collection was there again. Last year he had a Spiller and Burr which he offered me for 150.00 and like an idiot, I passed on it.

Yesterday he brought a Nickel plated Remington from Navy Arms manufactured by Pietta. The date code is AA (1975). It is a cased set with a flask, capper, mold for round and minie balls, and a package of paper cartridges. He wanted 350.00 but the nickel is coming off of the frame and the case should be refinished. We settled at 260.00. I am afraid this price is still a little high and I would be happy to have your reactions to it.

He also had an unfired 1851 in brass which started at 100.00. He was very negotiable so this pistol could have been bought for 80.00. That would have been a good deal but I don't need a third brass frame 1851. He still has it.

A big vendor brought along an 1860 from Uberti which had been defarbed and reblued. It had an overly light trigger pull and a good bit of surface rust on the barrel. Starting price on that was 350.00. I am not in need of any more 1860s right now so I did not ask about a deal. He also had a very nice cased Colt second generation 1851. One thousand to start but again I had no interest so I did not speak about a deal. The packing box and paperwork was not present. At a show, I am thinking that 700.00 would have been within the realms of possibility. I'd have paid that.

Anyway....I will posts some photos of the Remington trying to highlight the faults in the nickel. I hope no one comes back and says the pistol has no value because of the defoliation of the finish. I think I could stick a good condition steel frame revolver in the box and get 300.00 for it on Gunbroker.
Old January 23, 2011, 09:32 AM   #2
junkman_01

Doc,

Good luck on your recent Remmie purchase. We await the photos. BTW, revolvers don't shoot minies and the combo molds cast a RB and a CONICAL bullet.
Old January 23, 2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Correct

JM1 thanks for the correction.
Old January 23, 2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Here are some photos

From a distance the set looks okay.

But here are the photos of the frame.

In the photos, it looks like the frame might be brass, but indeed it is steel.

So what do you think? Is the set worth $260.00?
Old January 23, 2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Hawg

It's worth it. Looks like some rust going on in the chambers. You can always take the nickel off and blue it.
Old January 23, 2011, 03:27 PM   #6
junkman_01

If I'm not mistaken, nickel cannot be plated directly on steel. You first have to copper plate it then plate the copper.
Old January 23, 2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
nickel cannot be plated directly on steel.
Electro-less plate can be