The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 29, 2010, 10:21 PM   #1
offishn

Buehler Rings

Can some one help me with how to set up or adjust Buelher rings when installing them on a scope. There are some shims in between half's and I am not sure what dimension are needed for a 1" scope.There should be a process to determine what thickness is needed to obtain a tight fit.
Old October 30, 2010, 06:15 AM   #2
Bailey Boat

Assemble the rings and put a caliper to the ID and then the OD of the scope tube and do the math.....
Old October 30, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3
offishn

Sounds simple enough. I am guessing to leave a couple thousands to allow for tightness when clamping down?
Old October 31, 2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Bailey Boat

Which set of shims to use?????? What did the math tell you???? I would go slightly thicker to allow for possible compression once assembled, but not so much as to damage the tube.
Unless you're dead set on these Buehlers you may want to consider an easier to work with setup like Redfields or Leupolds....... Buehlers are beautiful once installed correctly but you may loose some hair on your head trying to get there......
Old October 31, 2010, 11:01 AM   #5
offishn

Pretty much set with Buehler. And there in route to me. I have Buehler bases and HAD Buehler rings until I snapped a top screw on the rear ring when tightening the wind age screws. I have had Buehler on this rifle for many years. They were there when I got it, and have performed great. Recently I purchased a new scope and went to change it out, and that is when I snapped the screw. I have never seen or heard of the the procedure to adjust Buehler rings to the different scopes diameters. I know there are shims but I was hoping for some help or detailed info.

lets say the scope OD Measures 1.010" and the rings ID measure 1.000", I would guess that a shim of .008" would be needed to allow for a .002" compression when tightened down. Or am I back wards on this? Or should it be around .005"?