The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2001, 12:36 AM   #1
M Gruber

Over a year ago, purchased a Model 1187 Parkeriized Police Autoloading Shotgun/Synthetic Stock 18"BBL 12GA. with a mag extention.
My purchase was easy to make based on the outstanding reputation of Remington shotguns as well as strong opinions from fellow shooters and friends.
The original gun was a lemon. Intercept latch fell to my feet on first shot and cycling ceased. After 40 plus days at an Authorized Remington repair center the gun was returned to me "fixed". The gun was still nonfunctioning.
I insisted Remington replace the gun and they did. A few months later I got another NEW shotgun.
Sent this gun to my gunsmith for modifications. Vang Comp sends the gun back to him saying it has an oversized bore and can't get Vang's system.
I threw this experience around the horn and the prevailing opinion is that Remington's quality has taken a complete dive.
Been over a year since I purchased my Remington and I still don't have it......and it sounds like, no matter what, I will never get the gun I KNEW I was buying.

Any similar experiences with Remington lately?

M Gruber
Old April 18, 2001, 01:19 AM   #2
Romulus

A buddy of mine and I successfully bid for two 870 Police. The difference between the two nominally identical shotguns is astonishing. Both are pretty and beautifully presented pieces, but while my buddy's shotgun is flawless, mine, on closer inspection, has pits and other flaws in the metalwork, extremely thin metal in the receiver where it accepts the barrel, and after just a few cycles the magazine tube has gouge marks caused by burrs in the yoke, as well as peening at the receiver where the yoke bangs against it. My buddy's 870 Police exhibits none such defects: he has a beefy, robust, pretty piece - dang that FFL guy for putting my name on the Quasimodo model...

I admit that the defects are likely to be chiefly of an aesthetic nature, but this is undoubtedly crappy quality assurance/control...I am quite sore at Remington
Old April 18, 2001, 01:57 AM   #3
uglygun

You think it extends to just the shotguns? UHUH, no way, nope, guess again!

Floating around Snipercountry.com for a few years I've seen a couple reports of people who have received a lemon from Remington.

The general feeling on the matter is that as soon as Remington merged or sold out to Stren the quality control and customer service took a collosal dive.

Entire batches of barrels being done with chambers that were non-concentric with the bore, that was attributed to bad reamers that created bad chambers. Then the poor sap who's buddy sent in his 300RUM with non-concentric bore to have the barrel replaced only to receive another barrel with another chamber out of spec and not centered to the bore, thought that the barrel was never replaced except for a noticable ding in the muzzle crown area that wasn't on the previous barrel.

Then there are the guys who have sent in their PSS rifles that didn't perform as they had expected, for the record they were expecting the rifle to shoot subMOA but it would do no better than 1.5MOA at best. Remington got the gun, tested it, and sent the thing back claiming that a rifle that performs within a 2MOA level of accuracy is entirely acceptable and within their level of acceptable "accuracy" on a police "precision" rig.

I'm not saying that Remington is total crap but I've stopped being surprised when I hear reports about an occasional lemon Remington product. Many have taken to watching Remington closely and throughly checking out anything that has recently come out of the Remington shops, sorta like a family member who's always telling you a whopper of a hunting story and you're willing to believe them only after checking out their story first.
Old April 18, 2001, 02:04 AM   #4
M Gruber

will only happen once

Fortunately, and unfortunately, my one purchase from Remington will be my last.
Ya only get one shot at me..

M Gruber
Old April 18, 2001, 06:34 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lots of us own, use and like older Remingtons, and sing their praises.

Alas, newer Remingtons of all kinds show shortcomings in workmanship and quality control.Even my 1995 vintage 870TB trap gun, a model formerly known for smooth shucking and tight tolerances, had enough burrs for a briar patch and needed a judicious hone on the action bars. Also, I cannot tighten the mag cap enough to eliminate all the slop in the barrel lockup. And, the bbl needed to be bent to bring the POI up to POA. In days of old, all these would have been dealt with or the piece would not have left Connecticut.

Throw in all the plastic parts,the egregious PC Safety, and the toadying of Remington brass to the regime of the Clintonistas, Big Green is starting to look gangrenous.

It's a simple fix. Buy USED Remingtons, and tell Big Green why.
Old April 18, 2001, 07:14 AM   #6
PJR

Allow me to cast another thumbs down for Remington "quality." A recently acquired 20" slug barrel had rifle sights that were at least 20 degrees off center. The barrel was returned to Remington and replaced.

A new Remington Model 7 in .243 was a veritable mess inside. The floorplate release was very hard to operate, the mag rails were razor sharp and scored the brass and it wouldn't feed certain types of ammo. I invested a little time with a file and emery to smooth it up and promptly traded it.

Fortunately, I have one well-made Remingtion 870P. That's it for me. If I need another I'll buy used and if I want a rifle I'll buy Tikka or Sako.

Paul
Old April 18, 2001, 10:47 AM   #7
TCW

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

In a couple of days I was going to purchase a new 870 police! Should I reconsider and go with the 590A1 (or something else)? These stories scare me. For $400.00 I want one that works!
Old April 18, 2001, 11:38 AM   #8
Bruegger

Just take Dave's advice and buy a good used 870...
Old April 18, 2001, 02:57 PM   #9
m3bullet

PJR

I purchased an 11-87P last December that had the rifle sights way off center like you mention above. I waited three months for a replacement barrel from Remington. Finally, tired of waiting and after communicating my frustration to my dealer, he stepped up and ordered another 11-87P and swapped out the barrel. Big Green, can you say quality control?

BTW, I do like the 11-87P.

Old April 18, 2001, 03:22 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

TCW, the maddening part is that they came very close to achieving perfection in a pump gun and backed away from quality.

A prePC 870 usually has a smooth action, decent trigger even in this ligitatious era, and could run forever.Spare parts needed for an entire dept could fit into a shoebox, with maybe room for the shoes.

IMO, you should look around for a used, maybe even very used 870 tradein, like old police inventory, and upgrade from there. There's some old threads here that may aid you.
Old April 18, 2001, 05:12 PM   #11
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Brother-in-law got a new 11/87 this Christmas (bless his wife for trying... it's the thought that counts). Shot unfired had problems with it right out of the box. Tried to take it back to Wal-Mart but they won't allow firearm returns. He sent it back to Remington on his own nickel and as far as I know hasn't gotten it back yet.

Makes me think twice about 1) buying anything from Wal-Mart in general, and 2) buying Remington in particular.

Four years ago this this same Brother-in-law bought a Remington slug barrel for his 870. Shot unfired the plastic rear sight broke off the first time we tried to adjust it.

But it's not all bad. I bought a 20ga 870 Youth recently and it's been a good gun, no complaints at all except for the G.D. P.C. safety. -- Kernel

Old April 18, 2001, 08:18 PM   #12
Kingcreek

I guess I got lucky on the only new Rem in my stack. I got an 11-87 Upland special 20g then found a new older trigger group and threw the lawyer-lock PC trigger in a drawer. I can't find anything wrong with this particular SG. Shot my first round of skeet with it. Next, I'll be modifying it for my petite wife to hunt with.
I'm happy with my several older Remington shotguns and rifles. But based on the info here, I think buying solid, older, used sounds like good advice. Anybody can build an occaisional lemon but it's how they treat the lemon-owner that matters.
Old April 18, 2001, 09:16 PM   #13
rugerfreak

I bought an 870 synthetic express last year----works like a champ. Remington rifles are another thing altogether---I've had 3 model 700's over the years--not one of them would shoot worth a damn. You couldn't pay to own another Remington rifle--as far as I'm concerned the model 700 is a POS. I now own 2 Weatherby's for my bolt action rifles--the best buys I've ever made.
Old April 20, 2001, 01:23 AM   #14
M Gruber

870 vs 1187

The pump shot gun has the advantage of manual operation over the 1187. I've seen good shooters fire the pump as fast as an autoloader.
It dosen't surprise me at all that there are less problems with 870's.
The one advantage of the 1187 is that while a defensive situation when you are replacing the rounds fired (topping off the tube) you can still effectively fire down range should a threat suddenly appear not losing a possibly critical second cycling the gun after. It's also an advantage should an injury occure to the arm or hand used for cycling the 870.
If the shot is well made.....
Pump or auto is no big issue.
Remington recent decline in quality has made the 1187 a liability.

M Gruber

[Edited by M Gruber on 04-21-2001 at 01:15 AM]
Old April 21, 2001, 01:56 AM   #15
44rugerfan

Kernel, I bought a Charles Daly semi-auto shotgun from Wal-Mart around Christmas last year, and during goose season it developed a tendency to light-strike the primers. I called Wal-Mart, the lady that answered didn't know what the hell she was talking about, and darn near turned me down until I asked to talk to the manager. Manager said no prob, bring the gun in and we will ship it back and make sure it gets fixed. So I did, no reciept, no problem, no hassles, no out of pocket $$$$. Have him try again and this time, talk to the manager.
Old April 22, 2001, 06:16 PM   #16
misstargets

My 1100 trap gun had a crooked rib and was sent back to the factory for replacement. This was two weeks ago. Now I am really worried that it will takes months to get back. The service rep. suggests to his customers to call Remington directly. Anyone had any luck calling them?
Old April 23, 2001, 12:18 AM   #17
M Gruber

Here ya go.....

Give this a try.....
He blew a lot of smoke up my butt but maybe you'll have better luck:
Dennis Sanita
Cusumer Affairs, Manager
(315) 895 3352
(315) 895 3661 (FAX)
or
[email protected] (email)

Good Luck,
M Gruber
Old April 23, 2001, 02:14 AM   #18
DML

Take a look at benchrest.com

They talk about off center chambers on 40X benchrest rifles. These are $1800+ rifles out of the custom shop!!!
How about bolt handles coming of the 700 PSS. What do think the police snipers think about that?

I have owned many 700s over the years and never had a problem, but I sure wouldn't buy a new one. I bought a Model 7 late last year and was a bit ticked off about the PC thingy on the bolt shroud, but it functioned fine. Now if I can just get it to stay in the black......
Old April 23, 2001, 02:56 PM   #19
coyote hunter

I purchased a 22LR about 12 years ago, it was the speed master, auto BDL. When I got home I decided to clean barrel & what I found was dissapointing. When they drilled the holes for the front sight they went to deep, there was a very "not so nice" bulge in the barrel. Took rifle back to gun shop and they replaced it with a new one.
I have several Remingtons and they all have been very excellent firearms. But I have also heard from other people that have complained lately about their problems.

Old April 23, 2001, 05:44 PM   #20
Sling Shot

Hello. I had a 700 VS in .308 that scratched the brass and it was really aggravating. I had a Smith set the barrel back one turn, square the receiver, lap the lugs, bedding, and adjust the trigger to three lb pull all for $150. It was a .5 inch MOA rifle with three shot strings and substanial cooling off period between strings. Anything over three shots, and the barrrel would start walking shots all over the place because of heat. I never could get the rails smooth enough to stop scratching brass. I bought my son a Remington 870 12 gauge, 26 inch barrel express this past Christmas, and it has turned out to be an excellent shotgun. We put a case(100)of bird shot through it on the first outing without a malfunction. My son wanted a single shot, but after racking the slide a few times on the 870, he loves it. Good day.
Sling Shot
Old April 23, 2001, 07:45 PM   #21
misstargets

M Gruber......

Thank you very much for the info. I will give them a call this week if I do not get the gun back soon. You would't think it would take this long to get a 30" target barrel.
Old April 24, 2001, 11:11 AM   #22
Romulus

Well my new 870 police fails to eject, so I called Remington, and the fellow that answered the phone said that I am not the original owner since I got the piece at auction - never mind that it was put up for auction as NIB by a DEALER in NY state, and duly transferred by a DEALER here in California. Hence even though it's NIB piece, it's not covered by their warranty as I am, in Remington's thinking, not the original owner (I got it at auction you see, so it's perforce USED)...

I remember when firearms companies shone in the field of customer service - they were the best, they were unique!
Nice to see that Remington has joined the foray of bull[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] service to customers...

I'm selling the piece and getting another Ithaca...
Old April 24, 2001, 11:44 AM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The more I hear, the less enthused I grow about new Remington products. I believe I'll keep my eyes open for another classic 870,from the days when they built them with pride. Or maybe a couple of them.

And, every time I'll tell Remington why I did that, instead of getting a new one. I doubt it'll help, but I'll feel better...
Old April 26, 2001, 09:18 AM   #24
Ludwig

I bought a Remington Model 7 SS in .308, and it wouldn't shoot better than 5", 3 shots, 100 yards, with any premium ammo. Sent it back with targets and polite letter. Then, after a really insulting year with "Customer Service" and three factory repairs, it shoots 2", 2 shots. Hope I never have to go through anything like it again. L