The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Wulfmann

Anyone try RG-4895 Surplus powder?

Has anyone tried and compared RG-4895 (Radway Green pulled 4895) to IMR or Hogdon 4895???

I was thinking of picking up a few 8-pound jugs but wanted some feedback.

I have used US Military pulled 4895 and have never had any problems and likely the same here but hoping for some feedback.

Is it slower (last batch of mil-4895 was closer to 4064 in burn rate) or faster or what??

Come back!

Wulfmann
Old October 14, 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

There have been several posts about it, in the last year. Search the forums, and you should come up with plenty of info.
Old October 14, 2009, 10:31 PM   #3
medalguy

I bought a bunch of it this summer (wish I had bought even more!) and shoot 7.62mm in my M1A and 1919A4, works great in both weapons. I load 42.5 gr under a 145 gr FMJBT and I've probably shot over 6,000 rounds with no problems at all. I have loaded and stocked another 7,000 rounds for future use.

I can't really tell the difference in the RG and IMR. Great powder.
Old October 15, 2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Wulfmann

I did a search very little came up.
Thanks medalguy, that post was more info than the search.

But, the search was also helpful as one guy reported good results using it in 223 and I have a new LBCV that I bought 5K 69HPBTM bullets for so thought I would stock up extra as a just in case with the new CA ammo bill.
I live in FLA but that could start another panic and I don't mind staying out in front on these things

Wulfmann
Old October 15, 2009, 09:29 PM   #5
medalguy

I haven't yet tried the RG 4895 in 223. I know several buddies who use IMR 4895 and report it works very well but I have a LOT of old MR223 powder I bought very cheap probably 20 years ago and I'm still using that up for my 223. I mean I bought a bunch! Wish I had bought more. I think I paid about $2-3 per pound back then.
Old October 15, 2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Wulfmann

I have 20LBs of RamShot TAC for my Daewoo but I wanted more 4895 for my Les Baer AR15 varmint so I bought bench rest dies and other nicer reloading stuff.
I try and allocate batches of powders to certain guns and wanted 2 8-pound kegs just for the Les Baer and 69gr HPBT match bullets with 300 round per pound for that 2 kegs will get me near 5K rounds not counting using some loads for TAC.

Its all just excuses to buy more stuff because the new CA law might cause a renewed panic and I would rather have enough to avoid it.

Wulfmann