The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Big-O-2

30/30 Plinking Load???

OK I have seen data with the 30/30 and trail boss for lead bullets. But has anyone loaded copper bullets this same way?

David
Old February 13, 2009, 03:07 AM   #2
joneb

Quote:
But has anyone loaded copper bullets this same way?
What do you mean by "this same way" ?
Old February 13, 2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Big-O-2

I have the load data talking about Trail Boss powder at 6 - 9 grains for lead bullets. Could you load copper bullet with same load 6 - 9 grains give or take a few grains as the copper and lead have different frictions down your barrel.

David
Old February 13, 2009, 09:46 AM   #4
sadsack

Big: IMR list 6.5 to 9 grs with a 160 cast bullet. Thats the only bullet that they list, and I haven't worked with it myself. I usually use IMR 4759 for reduced loads.
Old February 13, 2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Big-O-2

The reason I ask about using a copper bullet is I have a good stock of 150 grain flat point copper plated bullets. And to cut cost on plinking down from $0.33 to $0.15 per round is a big plus when shooting paper and tin cans etc.

David

Last edited by Big-O-2; February 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old February 13, 2009, 11:33 AM   #6
.22lr

Check with Hodgdon

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/...ss-oct2005.php

Also, this has been discussed:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...2&postcount=13

I love Trailboss in .44 Rem Mag, but lead only, I tend towards H110 or 2400 for jacketed (I figure they should be trail loads if I'm going to spring for a decent quality JHP).

I have heard about pressure spikes before, but can't find a reference other than the above link. Take it for what its worth.

One last question, are the bullets you have Jacketed, Plated or a copper wash?

VR

Matt
Old February 13, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Big-O-2

The bullets I have ar Copper Plated 150 Grain, I have been using them for target shooting with good luck so far. I just thought to save money I might try the Trail Boss powder or something close to it. Starting off light and working my way to something that will be close to my normal round of 30/30. I would think it should work with care taken not to over load the round. I was thinking of getting a Chrony to make sure I am not getting the load too hot. At least I could watch the speed of the bullet and see where it is hitting the paper. I really injoy shooting my Marlin 30/30 and I plan on one day getting a 45 long colt lever as well.

David
Old February 13, 2009, 12:27 PM   #8
joneb

IMR told me NOT to use Trail Boss with Jacketed or plated bullets. I would contact them about getting data for 4759. I would also contact the maker of the plated bullets for load recommendations and ask what the velocity limits are for that bullet. Unique would be another option and it would be cheaper than Trail Boss, contact Alliant for load data, I'm guessing that 7.5gr of Unique would be in the ballpark.
Old February 13, 2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Big-O-2

JIBJAB that was my thought exactly, I do plan on contacting the manufacture to get any data they may have.

David