The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 11, 2015, 03:50 PM   #26
Snyper

Quote:
Is it possible that the crime rate isn't much worse, but 24 hours news channels, and internet connections lets us hear about it instantly?
Actual crime rates are lower for many types of crimes, but since the population has increased so much, the actual number of crimes is higher, and the internet does let you hear about more than you would have even 20 years ago.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
Old February 11, 2015, 05:38 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

I used to be the guy who could ring the 200yd gong on the rifle range with his .45 Colt Blackhawk, off hand, classic target stance, left hand in my back left pocket. And a lit Marlboro hanging from the corner of my mouth.

Now, I'm the guy who watches the modern era drive away in a cloud of dust, and waves goodbye from his porch rocker....
Old February 11, 2015, 06:28 PM   #28
Oldshooter60

I'm not this guy... Maybe I should be (but I can't carry at work)

Old February 11, 2015, 06:41 PM   #29
Smoke & Recoil

I'm the guy who is never disappointed...because I never expect
ANYTHING GOOD !
Old February 11, 2015, 07:05 PM   #30
RIDE-RED 350r

Hmmmm......

I'm just an average guy of 37. Reagan is the first president I remember. My wife an I are a team, we both work to support our 2 kids, and try to have a little extra to have some fun with the family. We work hard for what we have and are thankful to have it.

I'm a simple former heavy haul trucker, turned Highway Department worker just a little over a year ago who still wakes up every morning actually looking forward to going to work despite making a little less money than I did when trucking.

I'm kind of a jack of all trades sort of guy, who likes to go against the grain. I still ride my 3-wheelers, drive an old '78 Chevy truck (in the summer time anyway) and own my share of firearms.. Might not seem "against the grain" to some of you, but I live in NY! My wife and kids like to pile into the cab and box of that old truck for a summer evening cruise to a campfire gathering at any one of my siblings or parents houses. Nothing like the sound of an old 350 and the smell of carbureted engine exhaust mixed with the sounds of the crickets and the firework show of lightning bugs in a summer night hayfield.

If I'm dressed up, it's my best jeans and button up shirt with a belt and my best pair of logger boots.

When I'm not dressed up it's about the same except it's a little dirtier and I skip the belt..

I can't carry every day (see above reference to state of residence), but when I do, I'm packing a magnum anywhere between 357 and 460 S&W...SO ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky??" Well, do ya punk??

I'm the guy who feels extremely disconnected with his generation. Like I was born 75+ years later than I was supposed to be. I look back at my childhood in the 80's and remember how much more free we were even then.

I'm the guy who worries about my kids' future.. individually and on the grander scale of where our nation is headed. These worries keep me awake at night at times.....

I'm also the guy who swears to be a misplaced Texan. I most certainly DO NOT have a NY state of mind.... One may contend that I cannot afford to stay, but the reality is that I cannot afford to pick up and leave.. monetarily or more importantly for the family we would be leaving behind.....

I'm one of the guys that plows the roads in our little snow covered corner of NY, called Vienna.

Cheers.

Last edited by RIDE-RED 350r; February 11, 2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old February 11, 2015, 07:17 PM   #31
RC5129

I am the 40 something, overly educated, mini van driving soccer mom. By day you will find me in khakis charming old people into doing what I want so they can get better and go back to their lives. At night I do the mom thing. My husband and I both work hard, and we have have a good life, with plenty of extras -boat, camper, snowmobile, motorcycle....- I love the outdoors, particularly the beach and water. And I have recently joined the ranks of the armed.
Old February 11, 2015, 07:24 PM   #32
Ozzieman

I’m a Indiana Hoosier (still have no idea what that means). X Navy flight crew. I spend half of the work week looking through a microscope. I’m an old fart that will never retire and will die being shot by a jealous 20 year old husband,,,, Ok, that is very deep in the bucket list! Fat balding and as others have said I dress like I don’t have a shilling in my pocket. And looks wise, I would be the last person you would think would be carrying a Kimber Royal carry. Hobbies and my wife says I have WAY TO MANY. Books are an addiction, military history and aviation. Muscle cars, on my 4th Chevelle big block ground up rebuild. Audiophile, and THERE IS NO CALABER OTHER THAN THE 44 SPECIAL,,,,, NONE,,, I hate TV but love TOP GEAR.
This feels like an on line dating service, the difference is they can read your mind.
Australian Sheppard’s ROCK

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; February 12, 2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old February 11, 2015, 07:32 PM   #33
4runnerman

I am a Uniform wearing guy 5 days a week and then gladly slip in to a no body over the week end. Peace, quiet, wife and kids and a Ugly Black Dog. Recharge time as I call it. I am the guy that pushes your wife, daughter, son out of the snowbank in the winter with a smile, never accepts money for helping. A smile and a hand shake fill the spot just fine

Last edited by 4runnerman; February 11, 2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old February 11, 2015, 08:30 PM   #34
8MM Mauser

I'm the guy whose a dad, who goes to school and works full-time and an extremely casual office environment for a farm supply equipment company that specializes in Poultry and Pig systems.

Average work day I'm in Lucky Brand 181 Relaxed fit jeans; a polo or plaid shirt (Pendelton) and a black fleece jacket. About once a month I wear a hoodie on casual Friday. In the winter I wear Wolverine anti-slip Work boots and in the summer usually a pair of Adidas tennis shoes. If it gets really cold outside I will break out the Carhartt overcoat. It is not unusual to see my (shaved) bald head in a baseball cap unless it's cold enough to warrant a beanie. Logos include my University, my workplace, the Detroit Lions, Cabelas and the NRA (usually only at gun-related events though).

I am barred from carrying at work; so I usually only carry if I go out after work or on the weekends while out and about with the family. On the weekends I often switch to my leather jacket which makes my G19 at 4 o'clock disappear. Though honestly I can carry it in almost any clothes I own as long as my shirt is untucked. Lucky jeans 181 are forgiving around the waist so my Glock tucks in nicely and is held in place my a Galco stow-n-go hanging on a Galco belt.

Here I am at the range with my first 8MM a few years ago:

Last edited by 8MM Mauser; February 11, 2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old February 11, 2015, 08:39 PM   #35
jimbob86

Who am I? I'm a part time wood flooring contractor/ full-time dad of 5, and wear my company workshirt and jeans most every day..... I used to wear shorts spring-summer-fall, but since I need to wear long pants to make a call for the local Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad, it's jeans year round now.

I work hard, mind my kids' business, and run into burning buildings (and all the other exciting stuff a FF/EMT gets to do!) to unwind ...... never a dull moment!
Old February 11, 2015, 09:03 PM   #36
RetiredMajor

who am I? Happy, freedom loving Professional type, married 35 years, polite, still working and spent 21 years in the military. I'm a gun guy, love hiking, backpacking and traveling. A sheepdog at heart.
Old February 11, 2015, 09:04 PM   #37
Corrections Cop

Who am I

33 year old Sergeant for the Michigan Department of Corrections, Uniform during my work week, hoodies and jeans in the winter / summer its shorts and T-shirts, and always a baseball hat. I work while my awesome wife stays home with the kids. I carry everyday (Glock 26), my wife just pasted her cpl class so she will be carrying soon. I like to snowmobile go cycling and shoot. I just recently joined a private club so I can shoot anytime I want.

Life is good!
Old February 11, 2015, 09:07 PM   #38
osbornk

When I was 24, I decided to retire when I was debt free, had enough money to pay my bills and buy the toys I wanted. I reached that goal at 55 ,12 years ago and I haven't shaved since (I do trim it infrequently). I'm short, old and fat. People act surprised when they see me riding around on one of my motorcycles or when they see me target shooting behind the house or tending my goat herd. People know I have various guns but they would never suspect I have a 9mm tucked inside my jeans and sweatshirt.
Old February 11, 2015, 09:12 PM   #39
jimbob86

Quote:
I haven't shaved since
I resolved to keep a full beard after I got out of the Army ...... losing it was another price I had to pay for joining the VFD .....
Old February 11, 2015, 09:33 PM   #40
t45

I'm the guy who wears Carhart jeans and shirts with Justin roper boots every day of the work week. During the weekend is shorts and tee shirts. I might get crazy and throw on a polo.
Old February 11, 2015, 09:34 PM   #41
ATPBULLETS

Who am I?

I'm the guy who loves his wife and children. I wear a white coat every day at work. Then when I am off...(not enough) ...I do the farm with horses and cows and a wife that loves the animals. I'm so blessed.. and I try to remember to thank God for this life every day.

Oh...and I have a couple guns I really enjoy
Old February 11, 2015, 09:46 PM   #42
NateKirk

I'm the skinny college student in the nice sweater and jeans who you'd never think carried a gun

By the way, 8mm, what stock is that on that mauser (I assume it's a mauser)?

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old February 11, 2015, 10:18 PM   #43
Tony C

Who am I? Just an average middle aged sales rep. Five years Army, five more LEO. 20+ in advertising. I try not to stand out and I carry daily.
Old February 11, 2015, 10:19 PM   #44
Neal_G.

I like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. I'm not much into health food, I am into champagne. Yes I like making lo..oh crap, wrong forum!

I'm 34, tall and athleticly built, TN born and bread (but oddly no accent), and most comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt. People tend to size me up based on my build, without realizing that I'm AIWB carrying a G26, and a sharp knife in my pocket!
Old February 11, 2015, 10:39 PM   #45
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Who are you?
Ah.. the GRAY MAN!

I try to look 'normal'. Just plain blue jeans, t-shirt, old sneekers. No karate logos, no NRA or TSRA stuff, or skull&crossbones... Same for car. No bumber stickers (and it ain't no fancy car.)

But one thing for sure.. my carry gun is in tip-top shape.

Deaf
Old February 12, 2015, 08:03 AM   #46
iblong

I'm a 60 yr old construction worker,That most would not give a second glance.
Im a guy that will look you in the eye and shake your hand,If I know you I may talk your ear off at times.If I dont I listen,I never sit with my back to a door and I'm never unarmed.I love my family and my country but not sure I recognize it anymore.I treat people right and expect the same in return.
I dont look for trouble because I do not back up well.I,ve worn jeans since I could walk.
Old February 12, 2015, 11:08 AM   #47
BigMikey76

Jeans and t-shirt in the winter, cargo shorts and t-shirt in the summer time. I am a big guy (6'2" and 280 lbs), so comfortable sneakers are also a must have when I am on my feet all day. Once I open my new BBQ truck - grand opening on May 1st - I will be adding a black apron with BBQ flames on it to the mix. By then I will have my CCW, so there will be a PT111 G2 hiding under that apron during the summer, and a P-07 during the winter.
Old February 12, 2015, 11:16 AM   #48
longknife12

Just a retired auto parts salesman and customer service consultant. Levis and a t shirt with a jacket and a 9mm IWB. Still hunt and target shoot, daily work outs and keep a very low profile.Basically, I'm just me.
Dan
Old February 12, 2015, 11:45 AM   #49
Pyzon

I'm at least a little bit, maybe a lot like most of you, but these quoted qualities ring the most true. Still working, by myself in my 60's and thought I would be sitting on my butt and enjoying the fruit of my labor by now, but our friends in DC have changed things for most of us.

Army draftee, way back when, and I find I am less tolerant of stupid and inconsiderate people, and I speak my mind more than most recipients would appreciate.

I fly the Stars and Stripes 24/7, and I hope I have not already seen the best America will ever be.

Quote:
bent and broken by 42 years in the construction industry
[QUOTE][]I love my family and my country but not sure I recognize it anymore.I treat people right and expect the same in return./QUOTE]

Quote:
I'm the guy who worries about my kids' future.. individually and on the grander scale of where our nation is headed. These worries keep me awake at night at times.....
Old February 12, 2015, 12:10 PM   #50
bignic83

I am a recently transferred gent from New Jersey that is now a Texan. I love free America.
You can find me in camo, jeans and at work a Sport coat. I never leave home without my 9mm Shield, and allow my employees to carry at the office. Second Amendment is very important to me, especially after living in the Peoples Republic of NJ all my life. I will never leave Texas.