The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 12, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1
grumpa72

Gunvault pistol safe

I decided that storing my pistol when I leave the house on business trips is not working. I have grandkids that visit so locking them up when I am gone is essential.

Yes, I did do a search here and there are lots of reports on the Gunvault brand of pistol safes (and others of course). I am not looking for anything other than a case that will safely hold my Colt 1911 Government and one mag. Does anyone use one of these: http://www.gunvault.com/minisafe.nxg, the GV1000C, or this one: http://www.gunvault.com/multisafes.nxg, the GV2000C, with a full size 1911? If so, are you happy with this as a storage device? Any complaints?

I am open to other ideas, but I really like the idea that this has a forward opening door that drops down and has finger grooves for the code. I don't think that I want an upward opening door but what other features are great to have?

Thank you in advance.
Old December 12, 2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have a gun vault that I use for my carry gun. It does the job I bought it for. If you bolt it down then someone will have to be determined to get inside, but if they are determined then they'll get in. Not kids, but crooks. My only complaint, and it could be more perception that reality, is that the latch loop on the door sticks up when the door is open and I always imagine it catching the trigger and causing a BOOM!. I cover the latch with my left hand when I put the gun in, just in case, but it's probably not a real problem anyway. I got mine on eBay for like $79, it's a very good storage option for that price, IMO.
Old December 12, 2009, 02:09 PM   #3
bgdv1

i have an older gun vault deluxe and like it alot. bought it years ago when my kids were little and there friends were around. now 16 & 18 the gun is back in the night stand but someday there will be gran children running around and it will get put back in use.
Old December 12, 2009, 02:51 PM   #4
swinokur

I have 2 Gunvault products. A Multi Deluxe and a Microvault for car/travel. Both of these units failed for various reasons at about 6 months of age. Cannon Safe who owns Gunvault cheerfully sent me replacements within a week and those are fine so far. Everybody gets lemons on occasion. Cannon stands behind their product IMO. i can recommend them for what they are designed to do, which is basically to keep little hands off your weapons. I have a 2 yr old granddaughter and it is imperative my weapons be locked at all times. I unlock the Gunvault before I go to bed and relock it in the morning. As a further precaution, there are no chambered rounds in either of my Glocks that I use for HD. When i go out, there is a round chambered.
Old December 12, 2009, 09:23 PM   #5
grumpa72

It looks as though both the standard and the double size will easily hold a full size 1911. However, holding it and granting easy access I assume can be different so the question is if either of you put a full size pistol in your Gunvault?

Thank you for your replies.
Old December 12, 2009, 09:56 PM   #6
swinokur

I have the larger Gunvault. The smaller one will probably only accommodate one pistol and it's pretty cramped. I have a Glock 22 and a Glock 30 in my Gunvault Multi with a spare mag each, so they are a bit roomier. I have a full size 1911 but I have not yet put it in the Gunvault as it's full with my other 2 pistols now. I'm sure a 1911 would fit the Multi version fine. I don't have the smaller one and I don't know it's dimensions as far as a 1911 fitting in it.

I'd go with the larger version. My observation is you always can put more stuff in it. A small one won't let you do that.
Old December 13, 2009, 08:35 PM   #7
grumpa72

Thank you all for your comments. I will head to Cabelas tomorrow to see the Gunvaults in person. Hmmm, seems like mixed reviews - they either work well or they crap out quickly. With Cabelas being close, and their online discount, these can be had relatively reasonably.

Thank you again.
Old December 14, 2009, 01:10 AM   #8
JStetson

The Gun Vaults are solid. They're very reliable when compared to a lot of the other security safes and boxes out there.
Old December 14, 2009, 07:18 PM   #9
a1abdj

Quote:
The Gun Vaults are solid. They're very reliable when compared to a lot of the other security safes and boxes out there.
I would be interested in a list of the others that are less reliable.
Old December 14, 2009, 08:25 PM   #10
Homerboy

I had a gunvault multi, but I sold it. It was too tall. I like to keep the safe out of sight, and the multi-vault won't fit under my bed. i do have other Stack On digital safes in the closet with other guns in there. Also bolted to the floor. I still have the standard gunvault. never had a problem with it, and I've owned it for several years. I also open it frequently, at least 5 times a week. never failed. I have a 2 year old, and I am super careful about guns. My Beretta 92 has a full mag, but is not chambered, and the safety is on. IF my son defeated the lock, he would have to rack a slide and disengage the safety.

The V-Tec lines are very solid, but they use a mechanical simplex lock, and there is no key back-up. The manual clearly says if the lock breaks, there is no way in to get your gun. I like a backup.

My GV is bolted to the floor, but it's only through carpet and into a plywood floor. A crowbar could get it out, I guess, but I have insurance.
Old December 16, 2009, 09:12 PM   #11
output

I purchased a GunVault awhile back and am completely happy with it. It was not expensive and it was exactly what I was expecting…

I was looking for something that would keep ‘curious fingers’ out and away from my firearms and I think my GunVault does that very well. It does not weigh much so if someone broke in they would be able to carry it off with no problem at all. If someone really wanted to get into it with the right equipment they could…but if my nephew or a stranger walks into my bedroom they will not have direct access to my firearms and that was what I was looking for.

You can bolt yours down. I just keep mine on my nightstand as shown in the attachment. It has a light inside and a motion sensor both of which I like and it is also fairly user friendly. Getting the batteries in it can be a pain but overall I think it was worth the money.

If you have any other questions you can PM and I’ll try to answer them.

Edit: There is more than enough room for a full-size 1911 inside. In my picture I actually have my 1911 pulled more towards the front of the safe for quicker access. At night I pull it out and let it sit on the actual door that extends outward.

Edit #2: I just read this in the retail deals and feedback section. I have not experienced any of the problems listed so I can't speak on them first hand. I also always opened my with my key. It is worth the read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCOMII
GunVault Biometric Gun Safes - Worst ever

GunVault will not respond to communication left via their contact forms, will not return messages left with Tech Support and customer service, will not answer their phones. I have tried for weeks to get someone other than reception to speak to me to no avail.

My advice is to steer clear of these safes for no other reason than if something DOES happen, too bad for you. At $300+ a pop, it's a mistake I shall never make again.

You can find it here... http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274576

Take care,

Output
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NS 003.jpg (264.7 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by output; December 17, 2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling & 1911 info
Old December 19, 2009, 10:45 PM   #12
langenc

When buying the gunvault get the bigger model. You will soon be putting money, documents etc in it and the extra space is nice.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:29 AM   #13
swinokur

Quote:
Edit #2: I just read this in the retail deals and feedback section. I have not experienced any of the problems listed so I can't speak on them first hand. I also always opened my with my key. It is worth the read!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCOMII
GunVault Biometric Gun Safes - Worst ever

GunVault will not respond to communication left via their contact forms, will not return messages left with Tech Support and customer service, will not answer their phones. I have tried for weeks to get someone other than reception to speak to me to no avail.

My advice is to steer clear of these safes for no other reason than if something DOES happen, too bad for you. At $300+ a pop, it's a mistake I shall never make again.

You can find it here... http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274576
I had problem with both of my Gunvaults at 6 months or so. I called Gun Vault Tech Support and left a message. Both times I was called back, explained the problem, was issued an RMA and had a replacement within a week, with a return ship UPS labeled included. I have no idea why the problems related by SOCOM occurred, as my experience was just the opposite. Even with the problems, I'd buy from them again. As long as they stand behind the product, I'm Ok with it. By the way the warranty is 1 year. I also noticed the problem related by SOCOM was with the Biometric model. Both of mine are the finger press versions.
Old December 20, 2009, 06:33 PM   #14
zonamo

Gunvault: Good for keeping curious little ones away, and about 5 seconds of protection against adults that want your guns

I bought that one when my son was little for the same reasons you list, but got complacent over the years. It was bolted to the wall for all the good it did. I also had a V-Line shotgun locker. It must have been tougher to open, because they just tore it off the bolts and took it with them.

My suggestion is if you are only worried about keeping little ones away, there are cheaper boxes that will do you better than fiddling with the batteries and the finger codes on the gunvaults.

If you want security, get a good safe. I wish I had.

Sometimes the purpose of your life is to serve as an object lesson to others.

Last edited by zonamo; February 21, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old December 20, 2009, 07:25 PM   #15
BGutzman

I use a regular safe with a digital lock but I CCW Carry even in my house 98% of the time so its rarely in the safe.

I looked at a lot of other options but most have a high tech lock and then a sloppy door mechanism.

I could also suggest a Military 50 cal ammo can with a hasp installed and the lock of your choice. (I got directions on line). I use this setup for my ammo but with some sort of towel or such for a liner it would work for a pistol.

Old December 20, 2009, 10:06 PM   #16
swinokur

Quote:
Gunvault: Good for keeping curious little ones away, and about 5 seconds of protection against adults that want your guns
That's all I ever expected mine to do anyway. Good safes are very expensive. I bought 2 Stack On cabinets to store ammo and my 870 in. I know they're cheap, but certainly better than nothing while you save up for a real safe.

I
Old December 21, 2009, 01:03 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonamo
That's all I ever expected mine to do anyway. Good safes are very expensive. I bought 2 Stack On cabinets to store ammo and my 870 in. I know they're cheap, but certainly better than nothing while you save up for a real safe.

I agree. Anyone buying a $79 box and thinking that they're getting theft protection is a fool. I bought mine because it offered exactly what I wanted, quick access for my defensive gun and keep little people out. It does both very well.
Old December 21, 2009, 04:47 PM   #18
spacecoast

I have one of these Homak boxes and I like it a lot. Certainly not theft-proof but would deter the smash-and-grab thief.

http://www.amazon.com/HS10036685-Ele...1431805&sr=1-5
Old December 21, 2009, 08:10 PM   #19
zonamo

Quote:
Anyone buying a $79 box
Actually, some of the $ 29 boxes will work better than the gunvault without the hassle of batteries.

And for a little bit more, you can get a 10 gauge Ft. Knox pistol box that can actually withstand a large screwdriver for more than five seconds.

Either is a better choice than the GunVault, IMO.

Quote:
certainly better than nothing while you save up for a real safe.
Just don't save up too long

Last edited by zonamo; December 21, 2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old December 22, 2009, 07:37 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Actually, some of the $ 29 boxes will work better than the gunvault without the hassle of batteries.
I'm not sure why batteries that need to be changed every couple of years are a hassle.

Nothing else that I researched allowed me near instant access without having to worry about hiding keys while still keeping the kids out. The GunVault does exactly that. It not for theft deterrence, for 5 minutes or 5 seconds. That's what a real safe is for. It is for allowing me instant access and the allowing the kids zero access.
Old December 22, 2009, 08:07 PM   #21
swinokur

well said Mr. Peet

These devices were never marketed or sold as safes.
Old December 22, 2009, 08:26 PM   #22
zonamo

Quote:
I'm not sure why batteries that need to be changed every couple of years are a hassle.
Glad it works for you. Your experience is different from mine. I found the battery pack inconvenient and batteries short-lived. My V-Line case was a lot less hassle compared to the GunVault. It was also a lot more secure.

Quote:
GunVault does exactly that. It not for theft deterrence, for 5 minutes or 5 seconds
No one other than the manufacturer claims otherwise. However, the claim on the manufacturer's website:

FOOLPROOF SECURITY
Precise fittings are virtually impossible to pry open with hand tools.

Just ain't so.

My personal experience is that the GunVault is far less secure againt a pry attack than cheaper alternatives. My personal experience is that it is also less convenient in day-to-day use than more secure alternatives like the V-line cases. And then there is problems with rotary lock vulnerabilities. At least Kryptonite recalled their locks and replaced them with something more secure. GunVault AFAIK has never even acknowledged there could be a problem.

I am glad you are happy with your experience with GunVaults. My experience was different. Based on my personal experience, if I bought another lock box today it would be either a V-line or Ft. Knox, not a GunVault.
Old December 23, 2009, 11:01 AM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonamo
I am glad you are happy with your experience with GunVaults. My experience was different. Based on my personal experience, if I bought another lock box today it would be either a V-line or Ft. Knox, not a GunVault.

I'm not arguing that the GunVault is the greatest thing on the market, but it's $79. I'm sure that those V-Line boxes are great but they're almost TRIPLE the price, running over $200 on eBay.

What brand is the $29 box that's better than a GunVault?

Theft deterrence is not even a factor for me. If the gun is in that box then I'm home, if I'm not home then the gun is on my hip.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:18 PM   #24
VAHunter

I've had one for about 5-6 yrs. In fact this is reminding me to do my annual battery change. It is pretty good for its intended use. It's not a true safe, but it keeps it away from curious little hands while still being quick to deploy your handgun if needed.

I've never had any problems with them and actually have been surprised by the battery life. I wouldnt bother with the fingerprint reader version as I've heard they're a little flaky.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:01 PM   #25
JStetson

I agree with the above poster. These are more designed for people that have small children in the house. They are NOT designed for theft protection or to 100% stop access. For the price alone, anyone should be able to figure that out.

Regardless, I've owned a few brands and the Gun Vault is my favorite. Very reliable and the battery life is great.