The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 2, 2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Thermodyne

577-450 1886 Martini Enfield long lever.

Any one here shooting these? I spent the winter restoring one and as soon as the Dies come in so I can correctly load some ammo I'm going to give it a go. Might use a vise and a long string for the first few rounds.

I found some loaded ammo, but it is .450 lead and this rifle like many of it contemporaries takes .458 paper patched rounds. And while I have the bullets pulled I was thinking of replacing the ffg with Pyrodex. Any opinions on this?
Old June 3, 2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Scorch

I have had some experience loading paper patched bullets for BP (mine was a 1871 Mauser in 11mm Mauser). I tried Pyrodex and then quit using it due to inconsistent ignition, and the fouling being harder to clean than BP. With the newer BP substitutes like Pioneer Gold powder, I bet you could successfully make the switch from BP. I have also heard it is easier to clean up and less fouling.

Paper patching cast bullets was not a major issue, it just takes time and patience. You just need to make sure you are not shooting in an area where the smoldering paper can start a grass fire. If it were me, I would just use lube-sized cast bullets.
Old June 3, 2009, 01:10 AM   #3
Thermodyne

The riffling is very fine almost like it was made for copper jackets. So the paper is mostly to keep it clean. I assume the wax in the wad stack fills the groves as the bullet passes. I thought about just using .458 bullets but I think the breach pressure would go up as opposed to using cotton paper patching. And It's a large round, 45-90 in American lingo so I have no idea of how much spare strength is built into the action. I do know that the 1886's had forged blocks, but they still pivot on the same 1/4 inch split pin. With my trapdoor Springfield's I use 45-60 carbine loads and patched bullets are more accurate than lead pressed to .457 which is what the barrels slugged out at.
Old June 3, 2009, 05:30 PM   #4
smoakingun

the martini is a wonderful rifle, mine is more accurate/consistent with ffg. The martini action is a modified 1862 peabody action, plenty strong, much stronger than the trapdoor, and in some opinions, stronger than the sharps. I slugged my barrel and found it to actually be .459 this made a difference with solid base lead bullets, but not so much with paper patch.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old June 4, 2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Thermodyne

I found an old English reloading manual printed in 1950 and it has smokeless powder loads for mkIV and V rifles. Mine is a MkIV rebuilt to MkV at some point.