The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 12, 2008, 07:30 PM   #1
chromedome82

Can I own a silenced pistol???

I have been kicking around the idea of putting a silencer on my Mk III 22/45. When started trying to find info on obtaining the proper license or permit to own a silenced weapon it's like a hit a wall. All I have found tells me I have to have a class 3 permit . I live in Dalton Ga. Is there anyone out there that may know what this type of permit requires. What I've heard is that it's a long and expensive process. How true is that?
Old November 12, 2008, 07:51 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If not banned in your local area you sure can own a can... infact there is a company that makes an entire upper with integrated silencer for rugers...
The go from bang, bang, bang... to pip,pip,pip
Brent
Old November 12, 2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Chipperman

There is no such thing as a "Class III permit".

You need to be an adult with a clean record, and live in a place where they are legal.

The cost is $200 for the Tax Stamp and the cost of the suppressor itself.

Usually the hardest part is getting the Chief LEO in your town/city to sign off on it. Even if s/he will not, you can still get around that by incorporating, but that's more time and money.

Assuming you hit no snags, the timetable is about 3-6 months.

Read this for good general info:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=199928
Old November 12, 2008, 08:26 PM   #4
chromedome82

Whats an NFA Class 3 weapon
Old November 12, 2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

Machinegun, suppressor, Any Other Weapon, Short barreled shotgun, Short barreled rifle and/or Destructive Device.

Quote:
you can still get around that by incorporating, but that's more time and money.
Or creating a Living Trust which is cheaper and easier.
Old November 12, 2008, 08:51 PM   #6
chromedome82

how would I go about creating a trust?
Old November 12, 2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Hkmp5sd

A Living Trust is essentially a Will, so the best way is to contact an attorney. If you want to cut costs, you can use a para-legal or purchase Quicken Willmaker (software). You need to make sure that there are no mistakes in the creation or ATF will deny the transfer, so the best bet is a lawyer. Some of the benefits of this method are no CLEO signature needed and no fingerprints or photographs. As a result, it generally takes less time to process the transfer paperwork through ATF.
Old November 12, 2008, 09:07 PM   #8
chromedome82

Im sorry all this is greek to me. How can I obtain this permit by creating a living will
Old November 12, 2008, 09:10 PM   #9
Hkmp5sd

A Trust, just like a corporation, can invest money and own property. Unlike a corporation, a Trust doesn't have to file financial reports and pay taxes on its assets. Your Trust purchases NFA items as an investment to make more money for your survivors.
Old November 12, 2008, 09:12 PM   #10
Crosshair

Sounds like you are thinking about doing what I did. Here is the result.

Not only is it hearing safe, but bulk ammo is subsonic out of the pistol length barrel, making it even quieter. Shooting it wet is better still.

I went the individual route. The local CLEO signs off on all NFA paperwork.

As for what suppressor to get, the AAC Prodigy is good. Any of the Tactical Innovations cans would work. Either a TAC-65 or a Stratus.

Most people want a 22 RF can that can be taken apart since lead is deposited on the baffles since 22 RF is not jacketed. Not to mention that large amount of fouling that accumulates as well.

As for material. Steel the the most durable, but also heavier and more expensive. Aluminum is cheaper, lighter, not quite as strong, and requires a bit more care since some cleaning agents can eat away the aluminum. Aluminum is more than up to the task for a 22 RF can so don't be scared away from it. My TAC-62 is aluminum and it's plenty durable. Removing the baffles for cleaning involves carefully hammering them out with a dowel.
Old November 12, 2008, 09:15 PM   #11
chromedome82

ohhhh... so that would add value to my estate by owning a silencer
Old November 12, 2008, 09:17 PM   #12
chromedome82

that looks about right... how much did set you back
Old November 13, 2008, 12:02 AM   #13
raimius

Google "NFA Suppressors" or go to the ATF site.

In layman's terms,
You need to get the appropriate forms from the ATF, send in what that requires and $200, the ATF will do a background check, you will need your local chief LEO to sign off (I'm not sure of the order on that part). Once approved, the ATF will send you the stamp, and you can buy the suprressor.
Old November 13, 2008, 01:57 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Here are some rugers that don't bark...

But this one is the sweetest lookin' gal...

Brent
Old November 13, 2008, 06:57 PM   #15
David Hineline

Get a hold of these guys and follow thier reccomendations. They will be familiar with whether or not the CLEO in your area routinely signs the forms, there is little reason to worry about Trusts and Corporations if you have not been rejected by the CLEO yet. Don't go back and forth with them playing million questions. Just open your wallet and spend money, plenty of time to learn the ins and outs off the web later.

http://www.politesocietyinc.com/

also goto my website http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/index.htm goto the links and NFA FAQ. Read all of that and you will understand the requirements much better and get all the simple questions answered at one sitting. Then follow links to manuf. and silencer talk websites to get into details further.
Old November 16, 2008, 03:02 AM   #16
MGRacer

Quote:
chromedome82 I have been kicking around the idea of putting a silencer on my Mk III 22/45. When started trying to find info on obtaining the proper license or permit to own a silenced weapon it's like a hit a wall. All I have found tells me I have to have a class 3 permit . I live in Dalton Ga. Is there anyone out there that may know what this type of permit requires. What I've heard is that it's a long and expensive process. How true is that?
It is actually relatively easy although it does take a while. Here are a couple of good sites that will help you find what you need to get a silencer:
http://www.srtarms.com/legalities.htm

http://www.advanced-armament.com/ownership.asp

Here is one manufacturer's list of dealers -- there are a number in GA:

http://www.gem-tech.com/dealer.html

Here is a photo of a Ruger 22/45 with a Tactical Solutions Upper and a silencer.

It is well worth the effort.
Old November 16, 2008, 08:15 AM   #17
KD5NRH

How much more of a hassle is it if you want to build one? Do you have to submit proposed design, etc. with the other paperwork?
Old November 16, 2008, 11:31 AM   #18
Crosshair

Quote:
How much more of a hassle is it if you want to build one? Do you have to submit proposed design, etc. with the other paperwork?
No, you submit the ATF Form 1 with the related paperwork. You can then build it when you get the approved Form 1 back.

Here is a good writeup on the process. The writeup is talking about an SBR, but it works the same with a suppressor. Link

Quote:
forms you will need

2 form 1s

2 FD-258s

2 passport photos

2 compliance forms

you can download all the forms, except for the FD-258 fingerprint card, from the net. you are going to have to write to the ATF publication branch for the fingerprint cards, which will have the correct agency stamped in the ORI block

first thing you will need to do is download 2 copies of the form 1.......MAKE SURE YOU PRINT PAGE 1 AND 2 ON THE SAME SHEET OF PAPER! if you don't the ATF will kick back your packet

here is the latest form, don't use the one that has dept of treasury on it....

http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf

next you will need 2-2x2 inch passport size photos affixed to where indicated on the form.......it has to be in color. I went to one of those kios booths you find in any mall.

then you will need to download 2 compliance form......without this form the ATF will not process your application.....and will kick back your packet

http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf

next you will have to call the local police dept. and find out when they do fingerprinting, most have a day out of the week to do that, go there with your cards and have it done......you will probably be charged a fee for that service, so be prepare for that.

next call your local CLEO and ask when would be a good time to come down so he can sign the forms..................YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER SIGN THE FORMS......without their signiture, ATF will not process your form. I dropped my form 1s in the morning, and he called me that afternoon to pick them up........I have read some guys have waited weeks for their chief to sign their forms.....it all depends how big of a community you live in, if in the the burbs or a rural area, it will be a lot faster then if you live in a major city.

also be aware, that some CLEO will not sign off on the forms.......no matter if there isn't a law against it. cuyahoga falls in ohio is like that, the chief and country sheriff will not sign any NFA forms.....

then mail all the forms, along with 200 dollars, to the address on the form 1.......it's a good idea, to send it certified mail, return reciept, so so you know it got there......then wait 4-6 months until the approved form comes back........you CANNOT DO ANYTHING TO THE WEAPON UNTIL YOU HAVE THAT FORM IN YOUR HAND.
With a suppressor, you put "n/a" in 4f since it's a suppressor and not a gun. (Yes I know the ATF considers a suppressor a "gun" by itself."
Old November 16, 2008, 11:37 AM   #19
Crosshair

Quote:
that looks about right... how much did set you back
Lets see.

$425 for the suppressor, NFA tax included.
$25 for photos and fingerprints.
$225 for the used 22/45.
$150 for the threading, remounting of the front sight, and blind thread protector. (Tornado Technologies, top notch work.)
$? for shipping costs. Don't remember how much that was.

$825 total, not including shipping
Old November 18, 2008, 04:01 AM   #20
KD5NRH

Quote:
With a suppressor, you put "n/a" in 4f since it's a suppressor and not a gun. (Yes I know the ATF considers a suppressor a "gun" by itself."
Is it safe to assume that 4c (caliber) would be the actual ID of the "barrel" (as opposed to the body tube) and thus the largest caliber usable with it, rather than specifying a single caliber for use? I'd like to have something usable with several similar calibers, rather than have a whole pile of suppressors laying around.
Old November 18, 2008, 02:14 PM   #21
Crosshair

Quote:
Is it safe to assume that 4c (caliber) would be the actual ID of the "barrel" (as opposed to the body tube) and thus the largest caliber usable with it, rather than specifying a single caliber for use? I'd like to have something usable with several similar calibers, rather than have a whole pile of suppressors laying around.
Yes. So if you are making a can that would take 30 caliber and below, you would but "30 cal".