The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 11, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Fargazer

Dawson Precision is making sights for Walther PPQ

I have finally been told Dawson Precision will offer sights for the PPQ - which should also fit the PPS and P99 series pistols. I'm very excited about this, since I own three pistols these could fit on - a PPS, a P99 AS, and a P99c AS. I love my Dawson fiber optic sights on my Glock G17, and I'm very optimistic that I will like these for the P99 as well.
  • The front post sight is already on the web site, and I've ordered one - it should arrive Thursday 7/12. I will report how the install goes on my P99, and how the pistol shoots with it.
  • For the rear sight, the person I spoke to at Dawson was getting more information from the owner after 1700 CDT Tuesday 7/10. It is sounding more and more like it should be out within weeks
Currently I have Trijicons on my P99; however, I have difficulty with the "in-between" lighting at the indoor range booths, where it's not dark enough for the tritium to kick in, but sufficiently dark for me to not see the front sight well. The fiber optics definitely let me focus on my G17 front sight better, so I'm hoping it will do the same with my P99.

I'll post more Friday.
Old July 11, 2012, 08:20 AM   #2
loose_holster_dan

nice. the sights are the one thing i wasn't thrilled about on the ppq. i love the ones they put on the pps.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 11, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Fishbed77

Quote:
Currently I have Trijicons on my P99; however, I have difficulty with the "in-between" lighting at the indoor range booths, where it's not dark enough for the tritium to kick in, but sufficiently dark for me to not see the front sight well.
Have you ever taken a look the Meprolight P99/PPQ night sights? The concensus over at waltherforums.com is that these are the best night sights available for the Walthers.
Old July 11, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Fargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77
Have you ever taken a look the Meprolight P99/PPQ night sights?
I found out their rep after I had purchased the Trijicons . Given what I know now, I think a set of fiber optic sights, green front and a contrasting color in the rear, is going to be best on my eyes. I'll know more tomorrow when I install the Dawson front sight.
Old July 12, 2012, 07:10 AM   #5
balance

Quote:
I have finally been told Dawson Precision will offer sights for the PPQ
I'm interested.

Please let us know what you think of them after they come in.

Quote:
I found out their rep after I had purchased the Trijicons .
I'm interested in this as well.

Were they loose? I remember some guys on the Walther forum stating that their rear Trijicon sight had some play.
Old July 12, 2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Fargazer

I received the fiber optic front sight today. It came with a small aluminum "punch" with a socket in the tip to fit the front sight screw, and spare FO in both red and green. I put the green fiber in the sight, popped it on the slide, and took the opportunity to clean (CLP) and lube (Eezox) the P99 thoroughly. The Loctite I put on the screw is now curing, and I will test the gun tomorrow at the indoor range. A couple odds and ends:
  • I needed a bit of CLP and a small metric ratchet wrench on the wrench/punch to get the original sight's screw out.
  • The front sight fits snugly in the rectangular hole in the slide; no slop at all.
  • The green FO definitely grabs my eyes better than the old Trijicon front post.
  • The FO lies securely in a groove on the front sight; you have to "dig" at it to get the fiber out. It's not going to fall out anytime soon.
  • The front sight's FO appears to be exactly the same spot as the old front sight's tritium vial. I have high hopes the P99 will keep it's old Point of Aim.
Work has been nuts this week, so I'm looking forward to bullet therapy tomorrow with the pistol
Old August 7, 2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Fargazer

Quick update:
  • Front sight works well; POI is the same as the Trijicons.
  • Dawson Precision will definitely offer a rear sight, but on a "days weeks months" scale, they said it will probably be "months"
Looks like I just need to keep checking their site, and hope it's before Christmas
Old August 7, 2012, 05:45 PM   #8
output

Thanks for the update. Can't wait!

Tags
dawson , p99 , ppq , pps , walther