The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 21, 2007, 09:14 PM   #1
PDshooter

Clip holster ? Your take on it ?

OK, I'am looking for a clip holster for my S&W640...Whats your "Take" on this type. Heading to FL., in April with the family. Applyed for a PA, CCW Can't get it here in the PRI
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old February 22, 2007, 09:07 AM   #2
tegemu

I've tried them and find that they are not real secure and tend to stick out more than I like, making concealment a tad more difficult. I prefer a 2 spread loop IWB like the Brommeland Max Con V www.brommelandgunleather.com . I use 3 of 'em.
Old February 23, 2007, 07:56 PM   #3
TNT_Shooter

I looked into this awhile back and decided to go with the Barami Hip Grip. I use them with my Smith 640 and it is great. The basic idea is that one side of the grip extends and you can wear the gun inside your pants with the extended grip hooking over your belt. I like it because it allows you to carry without a holster and is secure enough that you could jump up and down, run, whatever and it will not fall out (I don't recommend that unless absolutely necessary...lol)

Anyway, here is a link to their website...the cost is about $25 last I checked.

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/

TNT
Old March 1, 2007, 03:50 PM   #4
dairycreek

PDshooter

I am a real fan of clip holsters and, in particular, the FIST #1, I have them for my S&W Model 60, for my S&W 386, for my S&W 1911Sc and for my S&W 686 7-shot "Snubbie". I have found them to be easy on, easy off and safe and secure when on my gun belt. A word of caution - a good gun belt makes the whole operation work a lot better. Not to be overlooked is the fact that they are relatively inexpensive. The pic that I have enclosed is a #1 with a Glock 26 - sorry I just don't have pics of my own but be assured FIST can make you a first class holster for your S&W 640.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old March 1, 2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Don H

In my experience, clip-on holsters aren't as stable as holsters with two offset attachment points. Clip-ons are slightly thicker, also.
Old March 5, 2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Ichiro

I also think the FIST #1 is a good holster. I have one for my SP-101 and my 642.

I am positive it is not the very best holster for keeping everything in place tightly, but I cannot think of a more versatile and easy-to-use holster.

With this simple clip IWB holster, I can carry IWB strongside, IWB cross-draw, and between the belt and pants in either position. I takes only a few seconds to put on or take off, and it even works without a belt IWB.

They're also well-made, and the retention is strong for an open holster. I've carried for a year and a half without having to purchase a real gun belt.

To be fair, I'm still going to get a real gun belt, because I think it will improve the performance of this holster.
Old March 10, 2007, 10:59 AM   #7
Eric Larsen

Well you guys are generalizing here.....that can be bad! Any stacked loop design of holster is gonna be thicker than an offset loop design. Whether its clips or loops....it doesnt matter.

Heres a pic of a stacked loop design....whether its a clip or loop, its directly over the gun and can create added thickness.....

Now heres a couple with an offset loop design...both single and double spring clips.

Its not whether the holster uses a spring clip for belt retention....its the location of the clip vs the design of the holster and the shape of the gun that its going to house that makes it good to carry or not.

Hope that all makes sense..........

With a snubby.........Id probably consider the offset loops a better choice to make it as thin as possible and create less of a pressure point on you.

Shoot well and god bless

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old March 15, 2007, 01:23 PM   #8
NCHornet

IS the OP asking about IWB holsters or is he asking about those metal clips that attatch to your gun, on the grip and they go over the belt and the gun sits inside the waistband, with no holster surrounding it? If the later is true I don't care for them, re holstering is slow and usually requires two hands, it also changes the grip on the gun to something un comfortable, at least to me, plus it is a huge snag device. Just my .02.