The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 6, 2007, 02:26 AM   #1
Invicta

sub $100 optics, any good ones?

i've been looking to put a red dot sight or scope on my hi-point carbine, its a $150 gun so i dont really want to spend a lot on a scope/red dot. i've been doing some research on the net and it seems like almost nobody has anything positive to say about most of the entry level optics on the market. i've been looking at bushnell, simmons, tasco, bsa, and several other brands, do any of these companies offer anything under $100 thats not total junk? all i need is something for occasional plinking would something like a 4x bushnell sportsman be ok?? i know the saying "you get what you pay for" but i find it hard to believe that all these companies would still be in business if their products were as bad as some people claim. any help would be much appreciated.
Old January 6, 2007, 02:33 AM   #2
dixierifleman

for my 22, i was in the same position. i ended up gettin a Power Line scope from wal-mart. its 3-9x40. ive always prefered adjusable power scopes to fixed power. it was $29.99 and hasnt given me any problems at all yet. it also came with the weaver mounts so that saved me another $10-$12. simmons are also good, as ive had them on various guns in 3-9x. but to answer your question, a Bushnell 4x should be fine for what you have in mind
Old January 6, 2007, 03:53 AM   #3
skeeter1

Quote:
but to answer your question, a Bushnell 4x should be fine for what you have in mind
That's probably a good recommedation. Stay away from the Chinese-made Tascos. I have one, cheap, but it stinks. Won't hold a zero worth a hoot. Someday I'll get a better scope, and I'll probably just junk the Tasco, rather than inflict it on someone else.
Old January 6, 2007, 09:50 AM   #4
HSMITH

CDNN has C-More Railways on sale for $150 right now. That is a fantastic price.

Sub-$100 optics are pretty poor when compared to top line optics. Some of them work fine, it is just a matter of what quality level you require.
Old January 6, 2007, 09:53 AM   #5
sanson

tasco if made in japan are ok. chinese tasco are junk and the warranty is useless because they charge you $10+ your shipping to them
Old January 12, 2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Invicta

Update. Well I went ahead and bought a BSA Huntsman 4x scope, it arrived today so I mounted it up already using Millet weaver rings. The scope seems pretty nice and it fits the Hi-point perfectly, its 8.5" long where most of the other scopes that I looked at were like 12" long, I think a longer scope would look out of whack on such a short gun. Can't wait to sight it in.

Alsot got one of Uncle Mike's soft assult rifle cases. Pretty dang nice for only $20. Got the scope, rings, and case from Natchez Shooter Supply, $75 shipped for everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture_0031.jpg (49.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Picture_0041.jpg (54.6 KB, 22 views)