The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 17, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1
RsqVet

Best coating for a bench vise

Well I lucked into an 8 inch wilton USA mae bench vise. Only issue is it's well used and covered in oil and grease. Came out of a cat shop and was likely never cleaned or degreased. Paint is coming off with all the old grease and crud.

Glad to add this one to the smaller vise I have and I don't see myself ever breaking or wearing it out, thing is I'd like to put the most durable but economical coating on it so common cleaning solvents and oils don't just take it back off.

So far duracoat rattle cans have been suggested as has appliance spray epoxy. Issue for duracoat would be cost as well as trying to heat once applied. It's a rather large item.

I have found spray cold galvanizing and spray epoxy from mcmaster, was thinking of using the cold galv as primer topped by the epoxy unless there is a better suggestion from the crowd here.

Thank you all
Old August 18, 2012, 12:59 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sand blast it and use auto paint. Or just clean the crud off and let it alone; it doesn't have to be pretty.

Jim
Old August 18, 2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Scorch

I have used rattle cans of the cheapest paint available. It's not a show piese, it's a vise.
Old August 18, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

If you want to go the Duracoat way, it's an air curing two part epoxy, you don't bake it. You spray on the finish and let it cure for a week or so. It reaches full hardness in three weeks.

I'd personally go with the galvanizing followed with whatever durable paint I could find.
Old August 19, 2012, 01:44 AM   #5
Slopemeno

Try Benjamin Moore rapid-dry gloss enamel. I used it extensively in the industrial battery business to paint electric forklift battery tray. We used a brush or roller. It goes on thick, and has a slight give to it so it really resists chipping with rough handling.
Old August 19, 2012, 01:52 AM   #6
wyop

I don't know what your intended uses for the vise are, but I personally shy away from galvanized coatings on anything where I might be using a flame or a torch. I tend to use my torch a fair bit on parts in my vise, don't know what your intentions for the vise are.

In high enough concentrations, zinc fume poisoning isn't curable. If you get a bad enough exposure by breathing in burning zinc fumes, about all a doctor or hospital can do is make you comfortable as you die. Just a pleasant little tidbit to keep in mind...

You got a great vise, tho. The larger Wiltons are quite nearly indestructible.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:00 AM   #7
teeroux

Ospho or equivilent then paint with prefered brand.

http://www.partspak.com/ProductCart/...product=255423

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Jasco_P..._p/qjpp007.htm
Old August 20, 2012, 02:36 PM   #8
johnbt

I have a Craftsman 6" that my uncle bought used after returning from WWII. It didn't occur to me until now that it ever had any paint on it. Oh well, there's no rust yet and it's been in my damp unfinished basement since '85.

John
Old August 21, 2012, 09:14 PM   #9
scottd913

automotive paint is the best idea its quick cheap and easy.
deals with dirt grease and grim well.
comes in cool chevy red.