The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
harleyx2

Is case lube still needed?

I tumble my 223 brass in corn media from pets mart and use liquid turtle wax in it. When I take it out of the tumbler it is slick as can be. Seems slicker than one shot case lube. Will that be slick enough to go ahead and size or would you still use the one shot case lube on it also? Thanks
Old July 30, 2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Vance

I would still lube the cases.
Old July 30, 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
mrawesome22

If you are using a FL size die and don't lube the body, it will get stuck in the die.... hard.

sudo apt-get update
Old July 31, 2012, 02:16 AM   #4
Silentarmy

In my experience, One Shot is absolute crap and has contributed to the only stuck cases I have ever had! I have graduated to Dillon Case Lube with an occasional Imperial wax on a q-tip inside the mouths of the BMG cases.
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old July 31, 2012, 02:42 AM   #5
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentarmy View Post
In my experience, One Shot is absolute crap and has contributed to the only stuck cases I have ever had! I have graduated to Dillon Case Lube with an occasional Imperial wax on a q-tip inside the mouths of the BMG cases.
The Dillon lube is the best I have tried with regards to performance times convenience. It's amazing what a couple of spritzes of that stuff can accomplish. If you're forming cases or something Imperial is the way to go.

A stuck case can ruin your day. Don't trust Turtle Wax or One Shot.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old July 31, 2012, 08:39 AM   #6
jcdean

I spent 4 hours last week removing a stuck case from a trim die.

I had Imperial Sizing Wax on the case, ran it through the die, wiped the case down and dropped it into a case gauge, bumped the die down a touch, and them I ran the case through again.

When I heard and felt that stuttering/grating sound it was too late. I did not re-lube after I pulled the case out of the gauge. It was a new die and had no residual lube except for the one time that very same case had been up inside just a minute before.

I did the dowel rod (not a budge), drill / tap / pull method (the hole stripped out), and a little slide hammer I had removed the case head from the shell. I finally folded the case over a bit and started running progresively larger brass screws up between the case and die wall. Tried the dowel again and it finally came out.

Short story? Yes, lube them every time.
Old July 31, 2012, 12:11 PM   #7
wncchester

"If you are using a FL size die and don't lube the body, it will get stuck in the die.... hard." END OF STORY.

Polished cases are shiney; "shiney" is a very poor lube.

One Shot is not my favorite case lube but it works fine if used according to instructions. Come to think of it, that applies to everything!
Old July 31, 2012, 12:32 PM   #8
jag2

I've used One Shot for many years, it easy to use, not messy and it works. I do agree that you may get one stuck from time to time but if used properly it should be okay. When it has failed I believe its because I didn't spray enough and knowing what is enough just comes from experience. I don't care what lube you use, if you don't get enough of it on the case you will have a problem. When I first started reloading I was using one of the lube pads and kept getting dents in the shoulders, found out I was using too much lube. Its just a learning experience, it takes time.
Old July 31, 2012, 12:34 PM   #9
moxie

Yes, still need to lube.

Oddly, it would seem per the above posts, I have had great luck (no stuck cases) using One Shot. Easy to apply and doesn't smell bad. Also easy to wipe off. But I've only reloaded a few thousand .223 cases, so maybe I'll get a stuck case someday.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old July 31, 2012, 10:51 PM   #10
ATPBULLETS

Been using One Shot case lube and no stuck cases yet....but only for about a year.... as i am new to this...
but i would not rely on shiny case even if made by wax...
Old August 1, 2012, 10:48 PM   #11
medalguy

I've been using Imperial for several years, and have probably loaded 50,000 rifle cases and an unknown number (lots) of pistol in that time. Haven't stuck any cases since Imperial. I can't imagine using any other lube, especially since I used to get cases stuck several times a year with the "other" lubes. But use whatever makes you happy.
Old August 1, 2012, 11:03 PM   #12
dacaur

Quote:
I've used One Shot for many years, it easy to use, not messy and it works. I do agree that you may get one stuck from time to time but if used properly it should be okay. When it has failed I believe its because I didn't spray enough and knowing what is enough just comes from experience.
Yep. The one case I have gotten stuck using one shot, I was thinking to myself "I hope I used enough lube, maybe I should have used a little more" just as the case came shuddering to a halt and then the head pulled off as I tried to remove it..... A tap/screw removed it no problem, but since then I use a little more one shot and all has been fine....
Old August 1, 2012, 11:18 PM   #13
farmerboy

Yes you still have to lube. I use RCBS case lube- a bottle with last years, many many cases.
Old August 2, 2012, 09:20 AM   #14
oldpapps

harleyx2,

I think the consensus is clear.
Hell, I do a light lub with carbide dies and straight wall cases.

But, if you don't want to, this is a good place to ask for help to get a case un-stuck

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old August 2, 2012, 02:19 PM   #15
tobnpr

I started with One-Shot, and have never used anything else in the two years I've been reloading.

It's important to use enough- and at all angles; and also really important to get it into the case necks so the expander ball doesn't stick...
Old August 2, 2012, 03:51 PM   #16
farmerboy

Yes like last post necks are important too. I roll my brass on lubed pad per instructions and get a q tip and put some lube on it and do inside necks. Do every other neck and you should never have a problem.
Old August 2, 2012, 04:23 PM   #17
moxie

I use a plastic Rubbermaid/Tupperware container. Put a cloth on the bottom, then dump in about 50 cases. Spray with One Shot. Shake the container a bit. Spray some more. Repeat one more time. Never a stuck case.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old August 2, 2012, 06:46 PM   #18
LarryFlew

yes from a one shot fan. On 5th can (LOT OF 5.56 ROUNDS) and never a stuck case - of course now that I said that I better start looking for the thread on how to get one unstuck
Old August 2, 2012, 07:45 PM   #19
m&p45acp10+1

As you can see from all of the responses so far. Yes you still need to lube the cases if you do not want them to get stuck in the sizing die. The only time I do not lube cases is when I use the Lee Collet Die for neck sizing for my bolt action.

As far as lube goes use case lube. Regardless of brand use it as directed. They all work if you follow the directions.

I use Lee case lube for my .30 Carbine, and 7.62x54 because I am doing less than 100 at a time, and it comes off faster in the tumbler. For .223 Rem I use RCBS case lube with good results so far. The only cases I stuck were R-P stamped brass with thin flimsy rims. I no longer use R-P brass for .223 Rem. Have not stuck a case since.
Old August 2, 2012, 07:53 PM   #20
harleyx2

Thanks for all the help. This forum is great. I figured I still needed lube but wasnt sure since the wax is slicker than the lube.
Old August 3, 2012, 10:03 AM   #21
SL1

How slick a case feels to your fingers is a much different thing than how it "feels" to the steel surface inside your die.

The difference is how the surface coating behaves under very high pressure. If the lube can hold the surfaces (microscopically) apart, then the brass and steel slide past each other with relative ease. But, if the lube fails to do that, the surfaces stick under the pressure involved in compressing the case diameter.

Your fingers have no way to produce enough pressure on the case to "feel" how well the lube stands-up to the sizing pressure.

SL1
Old August 3, 2012, 10:56 AM   #22
ThisIsMySig

Even though you don't really need to lube a 45 acp case going into a carbide die, doing so makes the sizing process so much easier. Yeah, it adds an extra step, but the case sizing process feels so much better I can't imagine not using a lube.

NRA Member

Last edited by ThisIsMySig; August 3, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old August 3, 2012, 11:00 AM   #23
mySig229

I ALWAYS lube. But, it's more of a courtesy thing. ;-)

Sorry...couldn't resist
Old August 3, 2012, 11:04 AM   #24
booker_t

Everything goes better with lube.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:43 AM   #25
Elkins45

No lube=stuck case.

An unlubed tapered case in a steel die body is essentially a Morse taper being rammed into place with a compound lever.

Yeah, that's a bad idea.